What's New?

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

What's New?

Postby lindawing » October 30th, 2014, 9:51 am

I was playing around with trying out some recording software today, but I couldn't get my microphone to work right. Jonny has a different one for me to try, and he's going to fix my front panel jacks for me, over the weekend.

While I was investigating, I made several new Minecraft worlds, and started talking about them, to see if things were working right. I did get one piece of software to work OK, other than not being able to hear the sound correctly.

Anyway...this is one of those games, that I really liked right when I went right in. I've asked Carrie if she wants to do a round robin with It's a New Day, so I didn't want to play in that one tonight. By the way, if anyone else wants to do a round-robin (sharing a single world among two or more players by taking turns with it), please let us know, and we'll add you to the rotation for a new world! :uhhuh:

I used to be afraid to go around the roofed forests very much, but since I mostly play on Normal, these days, and have learned a ton about dealing with the regular, run-of-the-mill monsters, I actually like the roofed forests. They have a lot of ready resources--including both types of mushrooms (both from cutting down the giant ones, and from finding the little ones under the shade of all the big dark oak trees).

My house in this world is supposed to reflect the brown mushroom's shape. I guess all the modern building in TS4 that we've been doing for the NSC Project, has also influenced my build. It's very simplistic inside, but the outside is in layers, and it has "columns" to support the part of the floor that goes past the base of the house, which is actually made from the bottom layers of a HUGE (double-wide...2x4 squares) dark oak tree.

My garden is just down the hill a bit, where a natural pond was almost completely hiding under a mound of dirt, until I went exploring. It's actually in a very small plains biome, tucked into the edge of the roofed forest...so pretty!

I spent longer playing tonight than I meant to, because I thought I had it all protected from the night monsters, and I was busily putting the final touches on my very organized garden space (the melons and the pumpkins, after I had just finished the sugar cane--no carrots, since I doubt I will every use them--just wheat and potatoes), when suddenly spiders started coming over the fenc tops like crazy! I hadn't even though about them! So...I killed the ones that came in, but then had to re-hoe and replant a whole bunch of the garden, then go around and spider-proof the tops of the fence with a double row (overhanging toward the outsdie) of dark oak slabs. It's all secure, now, and everything's growing well--including all the pretty pumpkins and melons.

I've also included some pictures of where I was out exploring earlier in the evening. Under a whole lot of that area, is the very large abandoned mineshaft that I found while mining around there. I lit most of it up in Creative, but didn't touch anything but a very tiny amount of the ore (the gold I found in two places, and a bit of redstone). I got the goods from six minecarts, and then my inventory was completely full. So I have the coordinates to go back down in there when I need to go mining again, or if I want the easy planks and fence posts, or the string.

Pictures, then I'm headed for bed. Tomorrow is going to be a TS4 day. I'm feeling a lot better, nearly five days out from my fall. Still a little unsteady, as joints and muscles got really pulled around when I went down, but mostly feeling much better. Also, my new walker came today--in only two days, when I expected a week! Woot!
Attachments
WhatsNew-01.jpg
WhatsNew-01.jpg (395.36 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-02.jpg
WhatsNew-02.jpg (408.89 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-03.jpg
WhatsNew-03.jpg (298.96 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-04.jpg
WhatsNew-04.jpg (326.54 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-05.jpg
WhatsNew-05.jpg (463.84 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-06.jpg
WhatsNew-06.jpg (383.29 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-07.jpg
WhatsNew-07.jpg (265.09 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-08.jpg
WhatsNew-08.jpg (381.16 KiB) Viewed 611 times
WhatsNew-09.jpg
WhatsNew-09.jpg (309.08 KiB) Viewed 611 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: What's New?

Postby psychedelicsim » October 30th, 2014, 10:50 am

Sweet! I love how you've built your house. It looks like you've spawned an awesome world with lots of goodies to find! :joy:

Which recording software are you using? I like the LoiLo Game Recorder the best, but I also use Debut Video Capture for recording things like tutorials showing how we share files here. :uhhuh:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 30th, 2014, 8:03 pm

I downloaded that. The one I was using yesterday that actually seemed to work except for my input level was Fraps. I couldn't get Loilo to do ANYTHING...nothing at all!!! I went to their help page, and it said to do this, that, and the other thing, and I couldn't even find the things they said should be there in the application, that I should do!

I tried OPS, which is totally free, and I couldn't figure it out at all, either. I also tried another one besides Fraps, but it wasn't really free, anyway--just had a 30-day trial, then was $37, or something like that, at the end of the 30 days. Fraps is also supposed to be only a trial, from what I read.

I've re-downloaded Loilo Game Recorder. I think maybe my download got corrupted last time. I have a headset that Jonny gave me, that I've just plugged in the mic cord for. It's a one-ear job, but the mic should be where it needs to be, if I use it, and I'll just be able to hear through my speakers. I'll see if that works. I could plug the earphone part into the speaker outlet, until the front panel gets fixed, if I need to. I'm impatient to see if I can get it to work!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » October 31st, 2014, 12:02 am

Loilo is really easy to use, so I expect it was corrupted. I hope it works better for you once you get your microphone situated. I'm sure it will. :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 31st, 2014, 3:01 am

When Jonny came home tonight, he tried it out, and we tried all sorts of different things, but we couldn't get it to work. You can hear the mic output when it's not in a recording, but you can't even get it configured to do the speech thing...the sound doesn't come up high enough to even register, even if you YELL through it! Yet...if you touch the microphone or speak into it when in the sound control panel, general, it picks up just fine! We tried just about every sound setting we could find--both in the system controls and in the LoiLo controls. Still didn't work! We'll look up more stuff over the weekend, for my particular sound system (built-into the motherboard).
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » October 31st, 2014, 11:58 pm

How do you do the round robin thing? Just create a file and pass it around?

I downloaded the Loilo, but haven't had a chance to try it out yet. I would like to start doing some recordings. I think it will make the game more fun, especially if I can play with someone else at the same time.
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 1st, 2014, 2:11 am

Agreed!

We've just started doing the round-robin thing, then we had a bit of a setback, because a game got glitched. But Carrie has restarted. She'll pass it to me probably after this weekend, then I'll work on it a week or so, and pass it back. I'd be glad to do one with you, if you want!

Once we get the pattern down, we can do one with more people.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 2nd, 2014, 8:31 pm

I don't know what rules you guys use for your Round Robin's, but I was actually thinking of a Round Robin Challenge map. Instead of listing all the challenges for the map ahead of time, the list would be created one thing at a time. The first person would do what they want for the challenge, then they would challenge the second person to do something specific. Then that person would issue a challenge and either a third person could do it or the first person or whoever. Just the same person couldn't do two challenges in a row.

It might go something like this:
1st Person: Builds a storage building
1st Person: Issues a challenge to build a bank and have 1 stack of gold in the vault.
2nd Person: Builds a bank and digs until they get a stack of gold to put in the vault.
2nd Person: Issues a challenge to create a veggie garden with one of each veggie (potato, carrot, pumpkin, watermelon, wheat, etc.).
Next Person (could be 1st Person, 3rd Person, 4th Person, etc): Creates a veggie garden with one of each veggie.

This way instead of just stopping when you get to the bottom of the list of challenges, we could create a never-ending list of challenges and keep the thing going and going. Also, we wouldn't necessarily have to rotate the map by going person 1, 2, 3 and then 1, 2, 3 -- we could mix it up and whoever was available could do the next challenge (or whoever liked that particular challenge).

Would anyone be up for something like that? :yikes:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » November 2nd, 2014, 8:58 pm

Sounds good to me!

For ours, Linda and I were starting out with a superflat overworld map. On our first turn, each of us would claim a village and fix it up. There would also be a community warehouse at the spawn point. After we finished getting our villages secure, on the next turn, we would add different challenges for each other.

I had a pretty good start on the first one we tried, but we had some spawning problems, so we decided to start over. I haven't had a chance to create a new map yet because of work starting this past week. If you all would like to do it with the 3 of us, that is fine with me. :uhhuh:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 2nd, 2014, 9:43 pm

Lydia--That's pretty much what Carrie and I were thinking about, after the first round of each securing a village, as she mentioned. :uhhuh:

Once she gets that one started, please feel free to join in, also!

I think that it will work best if we don't have a single game going out in all sorts of directions. It might get a bit confusing.

I'm going to go ahead and create a new subforum for Minecraft Round-Robins.

I'll post the guidelines, based on what we've said in the past few posts here, and post that new game that I started last week, that I've been holding for just such a thing.

We can modify the guidelines as we get used to the rotation, after we see what works best. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 2nd, 2014, 10:04 pm

I don't know if I understand exactly what you're saying. How does a flat world with some villages constitute a Round Robin?

I'm very goal oriented and without challenges or goals of some sort, I get really bored in the game. I was the same with the Sims. I can't seem to entertain myself in these games. :uhuh:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 2nd, 2014, 11:44 pm

The superflat worlds aren't just flat and villages. :rotfl: Not all our round robins will be superflat, either. The one I'm talking about isn't. ;-)

I'm the same way with the goals. That's why I keep looking for new challenge and adventure maps. In my SP games, I make goals for myself, sometimes. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Our Singleplayer Games