It's a New Day

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

It's a New Day

Postby lindawing » October 29th, 2014, 8:41 am

Last night I cleaned out my regular saves folder, down to the games that I really wanted to keep. Most of the 40 or so games in the folder were the boys' saved games, which are already on the other two computers they play when they're here. There were some of mine, though, that I hadn't touched since like March or May. Any Challenge games, I already have backups of, and most of them I had already finished as far as I was going to go with them. So I cleared those out, as well.

I got down to 6-7 games--two of which are the original NSMC01 and NSMC02 games, plus one is the latest copy of NSMC01 (I don't yet have a copy of the latest NSMC02). Another is a fun seed that I picked up the other day.

Then I started a new, random game, and landed right in the middle of a wolf pack. Since wolves will despawn after you see them, if you leave them, I went into creative and got a stack of bones, and tamed them all. Then they wandered around with me until I found the place I wanted to call home.

I've been having a blast building a little prairie home in a very small prairie biome that borders a vast birch forest a nice-sized swamp, a good-sized roofed forest, and a small regular forest! Nice!

Part of what I've been doing is figuring out how to keep the right things planted in the right garden plots, with farmer villagers to do the work!

I worked out a way where the four villagers can see each other and socialize (and I can trade through the "window" between them), but they are constrained to their own sides. On one side of the window barrier I planted wheat (two plots), and I summoned two "farmer" villagers. One of them IS a Farmer, and the other is a Shepherd, so they want different trades. On the other side of the border, I planted two plots of potatoes (which usually end up taking over a carrot patch when villagers are involved, anyway). I summoned two more farmers, and got another Shepherd and a Fisherman, so I have three different trade routes, now, which is fun. It works well, too, because the Shepherd's trade routines are not as varied or extensive as either the Farmer or the Fisherman. They all, however, harvest and grow crops.

The farmers on each side of the barrier feed each other. The two on one side eat bread, and the two on the other side eat potatoes. If I want some of either crop, I go in and hang around for a bit, then harvest the mature things. They come along right behind me, and plant the correct crops, since that's all they have to work with. :joy: Once in a while they throw me an extra potato or loaf of bread (not intentionally, of course). That happens when they are trying to share with the other farmer, but I'm there, instead.

This is not an official village (no central well), and there aren't enough doors for them to multiply, anyway. I don't want them to, in this case. I just want my four little farmers. :uhhuh:

Around the perimeter, I've parked my seven dogs, who really aren't worth much in the game these days. They no longer teleport where you are, if they're allowed to run free, if you've gone out of their sight. They used to go across whole forest when you teleported, but no longer. They have to have you close enough by to teleport to you. If they come in your house, they're just pests. You can have them sit, but then they don't protect you. So basically all they do is bark all the time, and sit there, even when you're fighting monsters--unless you happen to be close enough to one to "un-sit" him. They used to protect you if they were close by, even if they were sitting--no more!

So...they are fun to have around as IF they're protecting me and my little guys, anyway. ;-)

There is an EXTENSIVE cave system underneath the whole area, and I've already mined enough iron to have more than four stacks of ingots, and I've already used a bunch of it...all legally obtained. ;-) There's also a lot of coal, and I've already picked up nearly a whole stack of lapis lazuli and one of redstone. I haven't seen any diamonds yet, but I'm sure it's just a matter of probably a couple more forays down into the depths.

Not only do I have the birch forest all across one edge of my little farm patch, but I've planted a block of 42 trees (all right next to each other--learned from playing SkyBlock). When they are all fully grown, I go out and grab all the birch wood. It's easy to fill up a double chest, in just three big harvests, that way, and it goes very fast, as you never have to climb up in any birch trees.

So...here are some pictures.
Attachments
It'sANewDay-Dogs.jpg
It'sANewDay-Dogs.jpg (310.63 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-View-01.jpg
It'sANewDay-View-01.jpg (398.46 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-View-02.jpg
It'sANewDay-View-02.jpg (448.57 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-View-03.jpg
It'sANewDay-View-03.jpg (328.28 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-01.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-01.jpg (456.98 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-02.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-02.jpg (472.43 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-03.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-03.jpg (462.38 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-04.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-04.jpg (445.25 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-05.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-05.jpg (483.59 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-06.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-06.jpg (359.37 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-07.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-07.jpg (507.03 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-08.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-08.jpg (396.91 KiB) Viewed 190 times
It'sANewDay-Farmers-09.jpg
It'sANewDay-Farmers-09.jpg (480.13 KiB) Viewed 190 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: It's a New Day

Postby psychedelicsim » October 29th, 2014, 10:42 am

I've gone through and cleaned out my saves folder before too. I feel so much better after I do that! I try to get Ethan and Lucas to do it every once in a while too, but I don't think it gets done. :uhuh:

:doh: :doh: :doh: I still haven't sent you that NSMC02 world! :doh: :doh: :doh: I am so sorry! Geez, I don't know where my mind has been. I'm putting a post-it note on my laptop right now! :uhhuh:

I love the new start you have. You do such a good job with the villages! That's cool that you have a lot of dogs. It's a shame they don't teleport anymore though. I can't remember the last time I tamed an ocelot or even saw a jungle biome. :wow:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 29th, 2014, 10:52 pm

There's a jungle biome in this one, I believe, right outside of the swamp.

Would you like me to pass this one on as a round-robin? That way, when I have yours, you can be working on this one!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » October 29th, 2014, 11:24 pm

That would be great! Do you want me to start a superflat overworld or should it be something with different biomes?
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Our Singleplayer Games