The End of Skyblock--Linda

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

Re: The End of Skyblock--Linda

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 1:13 am

I've increased my mushroom island space again, and moved my grass pad over. While I'm typing all of this, I'm standing FAR away from there, on top of my bed. We'll see what has happened when I get back. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 4:48 am

Well...no mooshrooms yet...gonna move further out into the mushroom island. Also gonna check to see if there's something ELSE I need to do...like plant mushrooms around or something!

I found Savanna right next to the second plains, expanded the plains outward, too, and put my acacia trees and jungle trees down there, after adding more (illegal) dirt. Then I killed all my sheep (after breeding them a couple more times), hoping for more of them to spawn. I've been killing off the chickens for their loot, since they're not needed for anything else. THEY have been respawning like crazy!
EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-A.jpg
EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-A.jpg (339.67 KiB) Viewed 328 times

EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-B.jpg
EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-B.jpg (308.96 KiB) Viewed 328 times

EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-C.jpg
EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-C.jpg (383.85 KiB) Viewed 328 times

EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-D.jpg
EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-OneHorse-D.jpg (396.17 KiB) Viewed 328 times

The sheep did not...yet...BUT...I now have three horses and three cows!!! WOOT!
EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-ThreeHorsesThreeCows.jpg
EOSB-100314-PrairieAndSavanna-ThreeHorsesThreeCows.jpg (398.69 KiB) Viewed 328 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 4:49 am

Now I'm expanding an area up by my home base, for coralling animals far enough away from the spawning pad so that they don't hamper those efforts!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 10:49 am

That worked very well! When I'm working at the home area, the pad down by the mob tower spawns stuff. I think there are now five horses in there, though, and not sure how many other things will continue to spawn there. I've gotten pigs and rabbits there, and chickens, and another cow.

When I'm down killing mobs, cutting down trees, and/or butchering animals at that end, the spawner by my home area (which is, right now, a combo of Flower Forest, Plains, Jungle, and Swampland!!!) is spawning cattle, sheep, and pigs--no rabbits seen there, at least yet. Once I get the jungle expanded further, there should start to be ocelots there.

Also, I just realized that I need to expand the cold taiga further, because that's where the wolves will spawn. I'm frustrated by the snow, there. It seems to settle in the tops of the spruce tree, but only occasionally does it settle anywhere else--even up that high! Hopefully there is an ice plains or tundra out there, somewhere, too!

If there's a mesa, I'll be going into Creative for the colored clay, because there are only a few pieces left of the clay from the end portal, after making all the pots! It would be silly to pass through a mesa and not see the layered clay, you know? :evillaugh:

Anyway...here are a few more photos from tonight. There is still a ton of stuff to do! For one thing, I have yet for a zombie to hand over a potato or any armor!

I need to write down the potion recipes. I have a lot of stuff put away, but still need stuff from the nether, I know--like ghast tears. I'll need to change some things down there, because I realized as I was going to bed the other night, that I put slabs all over the top of the spawning pod above the portal. It's over there, that the ghasts were spawning. I don't remember seeing or hearing any when I left there, after going to the other island, so I think the slabs stopped them from spawning there!

I have plenty of bows and arrows, now...the skeletons have been dropping lots of damaged bows, plus I made my first one. So I need to get a sniping area ready, also, for checking for zombie villagers. I realized they will probably be more plentiful in either the desert or forest biomes, which is where the villages are found. I have them both, now, though the desert biome is split up into several pieces, and the forest is right out at the edge of the mushroom island (which borders the ocean on the side heading away from the home area)--heading toward the monster tower (the old sand block area). There's also a birch forest just past the forest. I laid in some basic areas with signs, before getting the mushroom island closed in all the way. I still need to go out to the OTHER side with the mushroom biome, but it only goes a little way before it runs into the cold taiga.

I put a double layer of water in the ocean. In the picture below, you can see that squid started spawning right away. After I took that photo, I pushed the edge of the mushroom island out, and the ocean at that line, as well. The squid started basically overflowing it, in a hurry! :uhhuh:

While I was up on the roof trying to get snowballs, there were two enderman pestering me unmercifully--full-strength ones--not damaged ones. I had to laugh at them, as I assiduously kept my eyes trained AWAY from theirs. They were getting right in front of me...just DARING me to look at them. (Naa, Na, Na, Naa, Na!) One kept going down into my bedroom. When I went down to get some more tools, shortly after I had harvested and replanted my spruce tree, I found him walking around carrying a pumpking. As I went toward the door out to the work area, I realized where he had gotten the pumpkin. I piled up three of them between two sets of chests, and he had not only taken ONE, but he had dropped off one IN my bedroom before going to pick up a second one. There was only one left in my original stack.

So (laughing), I went in and robbed back the one he had deposited in my room, put it back, then went and got a third one out of my farm chest, and replaced the one he was still holding. Then I got busy with other stuff, and eventually forgot about the endermen.

When it started raining (and snowing) again, I went back to check the snow levels (and was frustrated again), and they were gone (it was a day or so later). Not only were THEY gone, but my extra pumpkin never showed up anywhere, and my dirt block from under my spruce sapling had disappeared, AND my sapling was gone! Silly endermen! Evidently they can carry more than just solid blocks, now! There was no trace of the sapling anywhere, nor the dirt, nor the pumpkin! :evillaugh:

Pictures...
Attachments
EOSB-100414-GiantOakAndJungleTree.jpg
EOSB-100414-GiantOakAndJungleTree.jpg (289.73 KiB) Viewed 327 times
EOSB-100414-Ocean.jpg
EOSB-100414-Ocean.jpg (315.25 KiB) Viewed 327 times
EOSB-100414-PlainsJungleFlowerForestSwampland.jpg
EOSB-100414-PlainsJungleFlowerForestSwampland.jpg (375.37 KiB) Viewed 327 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » October 4th, 2014, 1:44 pm

Silly endermen! :rotfl:

You know, I got to thinking about the mooshrooms not spawning. I think you might actually need mycelium. I'm going to give this a try today and let you know what happens. :uhhuh:

I like the way you've made your mob grinder! Thanks for posting the pictures. I made mine last night. I'll post some pictures in my thread. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 6:55 pm

I was thinking the same thing about mycelium, even though he says specifically that it's not needed! I have a TON of grass in that area, and even when I'm completely away from there, they don't want to spawn. It COULD be that they need to be even further away than usual, because the Mushroom Island is usually such a remote place. I also thought it MIGHT be that it isn't surrounded by the ocean. Surely he would have thought about that, though, when planning those biomes! :rolleyes:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 6:59 pm

AHA!!! I found it!

Mooshrooms, like other animals, required grass for random spawning or spawning from Mob Spawners before 14w26b. After 14w26b, they require mycelium.

This is at least one of the effects of 1.8!!!

Since he didn't give us any mycelium (did he? if he did, I turned it to dirt...) I'll get a block from creative. I believe it spreads just like grass. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » October 4th, 2014, 8:09 pm

I tried it with mycelium and grass, but it didn't work. The mushroom biome is beside the ocean, but it's right up against the forest and ice plains biomes too, which might be why it's not working. I tried killing all of the passive mobs and going 50 blocks away for 30 minutes. That didn't work either. I got really frustrated! I ended up leaving the area I had created and adding giant mushrooms on mycelium and spawning mooshrooms with the eggs from creative. I think the mushroom biome also might not be large enough. :uhhuh:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 8:32 pm

I'll do some experimenting and see what happens. So much for playing TS4 today! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 4th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I got in some good building time in TS4, and posted progress on the Lounge. I'm now back in EOSB, and I just discovered something I didn't know! Did you know that if you kill horses, you get 1-2 leather???!!! I hated to do it, but the map creator suggested doing it in order to get other animals that are necessary. You can always keep the horses later, and get the one saddled, etc.

So I started killing all six that I had in the far field, and lo and behold, they gave me a lot of leather! Nice!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 5th, 2014, 12:51 am

I've entirely filled up the mushroom island biome with mycelium, now...right up to the ocean edge, out to both sides, and right up to the plains/mushroom island border.

You're absolutely right...there is an ice plains out to the left (as you face the ocean), with an adjacent cold beach that takes over where the ocean stops at that border. On the right side, where the forest takes over, at the ocean point, there's DEEP ocean.

I was working out on the edges of those places, and nothing was spawning in either field (where things had been spawning before. So I teleported down to the end portal and stood there for a few minutes, then teleported back up to my bedroom. While I was gone, the field at that end spawned more animals. I think sometimes the spawning just needs a jump start, with the different chunks.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 5th, 2014, 12:56 am

While I was typing the last post, I stayed down by the mob spawner and left everything going, then I gathered up that (considerable) loot, and ran back down to the mushroom island.

IT WORKED!!! Here's proof! :joy: :hooray:
EOSB-100414-Mycelium-Mooshroom.jpg
EOSB-100414-Mycelium-Mooshroom.jpg (328.37 KiB) Viewed 317 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 5th, 2014, 12:57 am

I'm going to plant some large mushrooms in there, now, too. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 5th, 2014, 1:17 am

Done!
EOSB-100414-MushroomIsland.jpg
EOSB-100414-MushroomIsland.jpg (359.25 KiB) Viewed 317 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 5th, 2014, 1:18 am

I was reading your note about "mycelium and grass" over again. There can be no grass. It has to be mycelium only, and the mycelium will not take over the grass. You have to take out all the grass and replace it with dirt; then the mycelium will take over the dirt. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Our Singleplayer Games