Skyblock 2.1--Linda (Completed...Such As It Is)

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

Re: Skyblock 2.1--Linda

Postby psychedelicsim » September 26th, 2014, 9:12 pm

I'm on video #9 right now. Yes, those spawners made me shudder too! They're similar to the ones I've made though, but without the center tower and water. I had forgotten about the mobs thinking they could walk out on the signs. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 26th, 2014, 10:45 pm

I was thinking just now that I'd go into Creative to make those spawners. I can try, but if I start getting too weirded out, I'll switch to Creative. :uhhuh:

I mean, if it was above land somewhere, I really wouldn't have a problem with it. Just the thought of falling through the void, though, makes me hyperventilate! (sigh)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 26th, 2014, 11:12 pm

Same here! You should have seen me building out to the giant sand block a few minutes ago. Jacob bumped into my arm at one point and I about had a heart attack!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 12:33 am

I did it! I actually went up and did the whole platform thing with the signs for spawning monsters more quickly...IN SURVIVAL! AFTER I got done, I realized, "OMG! I wasn't going to do it until I made my bed!!!"

With the first loot from it, though, I got enough string to make my last two pieces of wool to make my bed, which I did, right away, and slept in it. Whew!

I had forgotten to take any signs up with me the first time, and hadn't written down my coordinates for my farm pad, either ( :doh: ), so I had to dig my way back down, once, go get my signs, then go back up again to finish the new pad.

When I got down the first time, I realized I had forgotten to put slabs onto the prior spawning floor, and the shade from the pad above, had caused several mobs to spawn down below! Oops! So I went over to the top of my covered walkway (see the #1 picture below), and then jumped onto my walkway. Then I killed the monsters, went in, and put slabs down right away, before going back up again! :uhhuh:
Attachments
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-01.jpg
This is looking out from the top of the slab-covered PRIOR spawning pad, over to the original block...well...to the ALTERED original block.
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-01.jpg (44.77 KiB) Viewed 300 times
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-02.jpg
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-02.jpg (116.99 KiB) Viewed 300 times
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-03.jpg
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-03.jpg (42.07 KiB) Viewed 300 times
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-04.jpg
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-04.jpg (41.05 KiB) Viewed 300 times
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-05.jpg
UpgradedMonsterSpawner-05.jpg (92.75 KiB) Viewed 300 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 27th, 2014, 1:18 am

Hooray! Wonderful job! :joy:

I've gotten Travis started, now I'm going to build the mob spawner. I have the base done. I'll post some pictures over in my thread.

How large does the grassy area need to be in order to spawn animals?
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 1:28 am

I don't think there's any special size. What I have done (11x11) should work. It just takes longer. I also need to make a covered breeding pen, though, separate from that. I think I'll make that totally out of wood, which I'm growing way faster than what I'm using, without having to sit with my finger pressed on the mouse button! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 1:31 am

The nether portal!
Attachments
NetherPortal-01.jpg
NetherPortal-01.jpg (77.76 KiB) Viewed 298 times
NetherPortal-02.jpg
NetherPortal-02.jpg (61.43 KiB) Viewed 298 times
NetherPortal-03.jpg
NetherPortal-03.jpg (57.23 KiB) Viewed 298 times
NetherPortal-04.jpg
NetherPortal-04.jpg (59.9 KiB) Viewed 298 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 1:32 am

OK...made my backup...going into the nether. I don't know whether I'll try to do the spawning thing there, though...at least not yet. The gold can wait!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 27th, 2014, 1:34 am

Woot! It looks great. :joy: Good luck in the Nether!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 3:58 am

PMed you about my first trip into the nether. I've been down successfully, now, though, and have all my stuff. :joy: I was too nervous to take pictures, though!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 9:03 am

After getting my stuff from the nether, I got busy making my little lake (which SHOULD be big enough to spawn squid...IF my place is in the right layer...46-62 inclusively). I haven't written down the coordinates anywhere, but I THINK originally I noted that skyblock was on layer 56. I may have to go up or down to make a lake to get squid, so I can dye 30 pieces of wool (10 black, 10 gray, and 10 light gray).

I planted my birch tree, it grew, and after harvesting it, I got a sapling to plant. Whew! The first time, I actually had to go back to my previous save (right after coming out of the nether), because there was no sapling from the first birch tree. Now it gives me 2-4 saplings with every growth. :joy: I almost have my 50 birch logs, now.

I made a huge building for growing mushrooms. They have to be 7x7x8. I goofed, and didn't count the layer for the one piece of dirt that is necessary to plant and grow a giant mushroom plant. That's OK, though. I grew two red ones and two brown ones that were just one layer smaller. I ended up with 44 red mushrooms and 56 brown mushrooms with which to make mushroom stew as soon as I can get some cows to make leather.

While mining more cobble, standing underneath where the new nether portal is, I heard a strange sound. Suddenly it dawned on me that it was a zombie pigman. Woot! He came down from the portal, and I nailed him (since he was alone). He game me a piece of glowstone dust, a used gold sword, and 1 gold nugget. :joy:

Just a bit later, I went down to get more loot from the monster spawner, and noticed that a baby zombie was riding a chicken around inside the pen. After killing an enderman and a witch (piece of cake for both), I killed the baby zombie and kept the chicken, but he didn't last long. Either he got out of the pen (which wouldn't surprise me a bit), or something fell on him and killed him (since he was probably already weakened from his initial fall).

My grass is 27 spaces away from my farm doorway, now, and I've decided to just expand sideways right there, for animal spawning. I'm tired of moving that stuff ever so slowly down that long hallway! Besides, then I won't have monsters falling on my animals and possibly killing them! :uhuh:

Here are my pictures. I'm really tired, and headed to bed in just a few.
Attachments
PlantedBirchTree.jpg
PlantedBirchTree.jpg (134.3 KiB) Viewed 293 times
BirchTreeGrew.jpg
BirchTreeGrew.jpg (102.23 KiB) Viewed 293 times
Yes-ASapling.jpg
Yes-ASapling.jpg (130.58 KiB) Viewed 293 times
CaneFarm.jpg
CaneFarm.jpg (123.32 KiB) Viewed 293 times
MushroomGrowingBuilding.jpg
MushroomGrowingBuilding.jpg (105.86 KiB) Viewed 293 times
GiantRedMushroom.jpg
GiantRedMushroom.jpg (80.07 KiB) Viewed 293 times
GiantBrownMushroom-Bonus.jpg
GiantBrownMushroom-Bonus.jpg (83.38 KiB) Viewed 293 times
ZombiePigmanVisitor.jpg
ZombiePigmanVisitor.jpg (169.56 KiB) Viewed 293 times
VisitingChicken.jpg
VisitingChicken.jpg (103.68 KiB) Viewed 293 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 9:04 am

Forgot to mention that I've already caught one fish from the little lake. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 27th, 2014, 8:01 pm

Woot! You're making some great progress. Awesome pictures! :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 27th, 2014, 10:23 pm

I was very happy to learn how to plant the mushrooms! I never figured that out, before! I've planted them, but they never grew. You HAVE to use bonemeal! :doh:

It said you have to have a low light level to grow them on dirt, so I made the building. Since then, I tried it with two torches in there, and they grow just fine! So I could have just grown them outside! :doh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 28th, 2014, 9:03 am

I was able to do the nether zombie pigmen spawner quite easily. I did actually go into creative to go up for the top platform, but I didn't use it (except for one tiny thing at the very end). I built upward on a single block, as with the overworld one, then started building my platform using shift, just as if I wasn't in creative. Of course, I didn't use up all my supply of blocks, but I had PLENTY more blocks at home, so I would have been just fine, either way.

I used wood and wooden slabs for the bottom shelf, but cobble up at the top. I forgot to cover the top of the spawning pad with slabs, so I had some pigmen spawning up there and falling. Some of those fell onto the bottom platform, and some didn't, but I had MORE than enough spawning and falling onto the platform to net 51 gold nuggets (I only needed 45) in less than 5 minutes!!! Wow! The part that I used creative for, was because I started down after making a single hole in the floor of the top platform, then realized, "Oy! I needed to enlarge the hole, and I needed to put the signs around it!" So I just flew up and did that (I was only 5 blocks down, anyway). Then I flew back down to the block tower and picked my way the rest of the way down. So I COULD have done the whole thing without any problems, really, just as in the overworld. I really am stocked that I've been able to do these things! A year ago, I couldn't have done it!

I had a small lake made, plus I put water into my big building and tried that. Either or both of them SHOULD have spawned squid, but they didn't! So I increased the size of my lake and made it deeper, as well. Squid only spawn at layers 46 through 62, inclusively. My original pond was on layer 60, and I even made it deeper, to include 62, but nothing, in several Minecraft days. So now it's deeper. To do that, though I COULD have ridden a water leak downward again, I just went ahead and went into creative and made the thing deeper and bigger. I figure since the game wasn't cooperating the way it should, anyway, I really wasn't concerned about it. :evillaugh:

Now I'm still waiting for squid!

I also have a 6x7 grass pad that's 27 squares away from my home pad, and at least 24 squares away from the far side of my monster-spawning pad, so that even if I'm in there, my cows and sheed SHOULD be spawning, but so far...nada! I think the game is really not wanting to spawn the mobs the way it should, and that's upsetting, after all this work! Everything else has been working wonderfully! Darn it all!

I can still wait for enough spiders to fall to give me enough string to make all the wool, though that will take quite a long time, but if I can't get the cows, I can't make the bookshelves. We'll see what happens!
Attachments
Skyblock-PigmenSpawner-A.jpg
Skyblock-PigmenSpawner-A.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Skyblock-PigmenSpawner-B.jpg
Skyblock-PigmenSpawner-B.jpg (56.35 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Skyblock-MyLake.jpg
Skyblock-MyLake.jpg (106.68 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Skyblock-MyAnimalSpawningPad.jpg
The grass is all filled in, now.
Skyblock-MyAnimalSpawningPad.jpg (81.16 KiB) Viewed 290 times
lindawing
Administrator