Skyblock 2.1--Linda (Completed...Such As It Is)

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

Skyblock 2.1--Linda (Completed...Such As It Is)

Postby lindawing » September 24th, 2014, 9:05 am

I started playing this last night, but couldn't get part of what I needed. After I went to bed, my mind wouldn't shut down, and I kept waking up thinking, "How on Earth am I going to get the cactus and the chest, and at LEAST one block of sand, without the sand just falling?" By the time I got up, I thought I had it figured out.

It didn't work EXACTLY how I thought it was going to work, but I DID manage to get the starting block gradually brought down two squares lower than it was in the beginning. I don't want to spoil it for everyone, but if you're working on that, think about how water flows...

The process is dangerous and scary, but it totally works! Woot!

I had started over tonight, and was doing really well. Then I did a supid thing and lost my lava. I had already had to start over several times before I got to the point where I was, and when the lava went, I shook my head and went into Creative long enough to get a bucket of lava. Then once, a little while later, I lost my WATER! Just stupid mistakes, you know?

I've been saving a backup all along, but both of those times it had been a little while since my backup, and I didn't want to lose my progress. So when I lost my water, I got THAT from the creative inventory, as well. I also did grab four apples while I was in there. I could have waited out the food thing until the last minute, but I figured I was going to have to cave on that, too, so I just did it. Oh...and my second tree did NOT produce a single sapling, and I had only gotten one from the first tree, so I was up a creek. That time, too, I got what I needed from the creative inventory.

Since then, my trees have been dropping MORE than enough saplings AND apples.

I now have a pumpkin plant, a melon plant, and a cactus planted. I only have three cactus pieces. One of the four that was available when I finally defeated the sand problem, flew off the edge of my landing...I should have spend the wood and time to extend it one more square, and I wouldn't have lost that piece of cactus. But I was getting very edgy (pun intended and appropriate) out there, hanging over NOTHING, crouching and moving slowly, slowly, slowly, in my bare feet, hanging on to the edges with my toes! Whew!!!

Anyway, I have to grow more cacti, in order to get enough green dye to make what I need for the challenges.

I did pick up the obsidian from the chest out there on the sand block, and I know that I'm supposed to make a nether portal. I figure that's the place I'm supposed to make it. I can't, for the life of me, though, figure out where in the heck I'm supposed to get gravel, to get flint, to light the darned thing! I can't see a darned thing in the distance ANYWHERE, from way out there, or from the home block. I suppose I'm just supposed to go outwards in all directions, to see what I can find.

This thing may take me a LONG time!!! :uhhuh:

All of these pictures are from my last try--ending with where I just stopped for the night. Notice the snow blocks. Thank goodness for them!!!
Attachments
Skyblock-092414-A.jpg
Skyblock-092414-A.jpg (79.96 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-B.jpg
Skyblock-092414-B.jpg (62.51 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-C.jpg
Skyblock-092414-C.jpg (99.59 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-D.jpg
Skyblock-092414-D.jpg (86.05 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-E.jpg
Skyblock-092414-E.jpg (97.75 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-F.jpg
Skyblock-092414-F.jpg (64.4 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-G.jpg
Skyblock-092414-G.jpg (78.71 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-H.jpg
Skyblock-092414-H.jpg (58.8 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-I.jpg
Skyblock-092414-I.jpg (79.94 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-J.jpg
Skyblock-092414-J.jpg (118.9 KiB) Viewed 428 times
Skyblock-092414-K.jpg
Skyblock-092414-K.jpg (81.62 KiB) Viewed 428 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Skyblock 2.1--Linda

Postby psychedelicsim » September 24th, 2014, 11:52 am

You're doing great, Linda! I'm going to be a nervous wreck too. I got into watching some videos that CaptainSparklez had made of SkyBlock. Some of the things he did...oh my! My hands would be sweaty and shaking! :uhhuh:

I'm going to start today, so we'll see what happens.

In regards to lighting the Nether Portal, maybe you could catch some wood on fire with lava and light it that way. I'd think it would take a couple tries, but it might work. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 24th, 2014, 9:31 pm

Hmmm!!! I hadn't thought about lava! I only have one block of lava, but I have a bucket! I could pick up the lava and take it over to the portal, put a piece of wood on the frame and the lava right next to it...

Believe me, I've already had to put out several wood fires on the home island, since I've been filling in with wood in a couple of places, in order to reclaim the dirt. Even with a cobble covering over my lava source, it's caught a tree on fire once, and the wall on fire another time! Yikes!

Going to go check out Captain Sparklez!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 24th, 2014, 10:50 pm

His videos are great! Some of his language is questionable in some spots, but overall it's OK. :uhhuh:

I didn't even get to start playing today. I spent all day filling out job applications. I found an administrative assistant job with the hours of 7:30-1:30 Monday-Friday which would allow me to work while the boys are at school and get off before it's time to pick them up. The HR lady goes to my parent's church, so I know her. They have a job fair tomorrow, so I'm going to go to that after my doctors appointment. We'll see what happens. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 25th, 2014, 5:11 am

What about Jacob? Will he stay with your mom for the mornings?
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 25th, 2014, 5:13 am

I PMed you about the videos I've been watching since earlier this evening. I've almost finished the 3rd one. I'm probably only going to watch one more. I'm just hoping to see what happens after the sand island.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 25th, 2014, 12:03 pm

After watching #1 of Blindman's Skyblock 2.1 videos, I started over because he brought out some critical points of what was going to be necessary before long. After starting over, once I had caught up to what he had done in his #1 video, I watched #2 and then #3.

I'm proud to say that I did the water drop-down thing to get below the existing pad to make it lower, so that the sand block could be completely utilized, instead of completely lost. I didn't go into Creative to do it, either, even though I was pretty much sweaty-palmed and shaking! :uhhuh:

These pictures start AFTER I picked up the sand, cactus, chest and its items (seeds for starting a melon and pumpkin farm, and obsidian--assumably for making a nether portal).

My base is now 8 blocks lower than it was at the beginning of the game, and my spawning pad is working...at least for monsters. I'm working on moving some grass over there so that necessary animals (at least cows, for leather, because I have to make books, then bookshelves) will spawn. I know they did, in the Enlarged Grass Block, and I'm assuming they will in Skyblock, as well.

I got my grass moved from the top of the original pad, down to my new pad underneath, and now it's gone out the door onto my pathway to the spawning pad. Eventually I'll get one block over there, that will then spread so the animals can come, and so that I may use bonemeal to get grass, which will then give me seed for wheat.

Anyway...here are pictures from tonight.
Attachments
SkyblockStartover-092514-A.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-A.jpg (67.84 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-B.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-B.jpg (108.56 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-C.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-C.jpg (82.25 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-D.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-D.jpg (95.81 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-E.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-E.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-F.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-F.jpg (83.37 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-G.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-G.jpg (85.35 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-H.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-H.jpg (81.27 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-I.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-I.jpg (64.62 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-J.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-J.jpg (87.76 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-K.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-K.jpg (84.45 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-L.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-L.jpg (86.79 KiB) Viewed 422 times
SkyblockStartover-092514-M.jpg
SkyblockStartover-092514-M.jpg (97.43 KiB) Viewed 422 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 25th, 2014, 5:04 pm

Jacob will come over to stay with my mom. Depending on the job situation for Joe and Heather, I'm sure they will be glad to help out some too.

After watching some of CaptainSparklez videos, I realized that he was using a different version of Minecraft from way back in 2011. I will check out Blindman's videos that you linked me too. Thank you!

It looks like you have a nice, new start! In some of the videos I've watched, I've seen them use the water to get down to the next level. I'll be trying that too, but it will make me very nervous! :uhhuh:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 25th, 2014, 8:40 pm

It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, after finally getting brave enough to make the plunge...literally! :rotfl:

After you start going down, you just keep using the spacebar (or whatever your jump key is) to stay level (press, let off, press, let off, press, let off, press as you go up for air). Be sure to watch Blindman's video about that, so you can see exactly how your water should be placed. Remember...you only have the one bucket...so far. Somehow, some way, there's got to be at least another block of ice, but I haven't found it so far! :uhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 25th, 2014, 9:02 pm

In the version that CaptainSparklez did, there were two blocks of ice in the chest because he was able to make an infinite water source. I guess that's been changed. :uhhuh: Before going down the water fall, I'm going to make sure I always put that bucket back in the chest!

I have my coffee. Now I'm going to go check out Blindman's videos. My goal is to start Skyblock tomorrow since it will be a quiet day. Saturday and Sunday are going to be wild and crazy! :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 25th, 2014, 9:48 pm

Hope you are now enjoying the videos. Patty watched the first one and was wondering why he didn't fall off! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 25th, 2014, 10:30 pm

:rotfl: I was wondering that same thing!

I've started. I'll start a new thread with my progress. ;-)
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 26th, 2014, 12:21 am

Just checked out your start! I've been building in TS4 since you went to get dinner going. Going to post progress on #4 in WC, then I'm back to Skyblock for a while. :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 26th, 2014, 11:36 am

How did it go last night? I never got back to playing, but I watched a few more videos. Blindman has some great ideas! I was wondering how I would get all of the sand. :uhhuh:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 26th, 2014, 6:28 pm

I watched through his 5th video, now. The 4th one is very short. The 5th one shows exactly what you mentioned, for lighting the nether portal.

He also showed a very simple and effective (but also very scary...gulp) better spawner pad. Then he showed going into the 9x9 glowstone cube nether! OY!!! He showed making the spawner pad for THAT, too. OMG, Carrie! I don't know if I can do either one!!! I think MAYBE I could do a simpler one in the nether, and I'm OK with the simpler one in the overworld. I THINK I'm going to be able to make it do double duty for both monsters and animals. It's slower, of course, but much safer than climbing UP 24 blocks, then going OUTWARD six block on all sides, with a hollow center, then making a roof over that, then getting back down. SHUDDER!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Our Singleplayer Games