Villages

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

Re: Villages

Postby lindawing » December 16th, 2014, 8:25 am

I'm confident, now, that I can make at least a SMALL village underground, successfully, as well, as long as I have "airholes" at the top, that are strategically placed. I have a design working in my head already. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » December 16th, 2014, 3:57 pm

That is so impressive. You really are becoming our resident expert on villages and villagers. Once you start recording, you need to do a whole village/villager sequence of "Let's Play" videos so you can pass along all that valuable knowledge to people who are having trouble with their villages. I know that you have already given us TONS of useful tips. Definitely enough for a couple of videos if you are building as you go to show what can and can't be done. :yeah: :joy:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 16th, 2014, 10:42 pm

I was thinking of that yesterday. It's too late to start on the world I have going, now, but I was thinking I'd start, perhaps, a small biomes world. Since the size 1 biomes don't (yet) get villages, due to a generation glitch, it would be fun to create some, fairly close to each other, and explain as I go.

I haven't even had time to practice making a video, though, since I've been working on creating Elizabeth's little ruffle dress, and scarves for the rest of the grands here, and for my great-granddaughter in Washington. I can't do stuff for all of the kids, but I can catch the ones who live here, and I've just made a little scarf for Meila. I didn't send her anything last year--we couldn't send gifts at all last year.

Once we get past Christmas, I'll start figuring the video thing out. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » December 17th, 2014, 4:14 am

Yes, it's best to wait on things like this until the craziness of the holidays is behind us and we can actually pay attention to something else. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 17th, 2014, 6:50 am

:uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 18th, 2014, 10:05 am

Stupid internet! I had pictures uploaded and the post all done, and then it didn't finish when I hit submit, but got an error! Grrr!

So...briefly, before I head to bed, I'll try again.

I started two small biomes worlds tonight, to see if I wanted to use one of them for posting a new Mini Villages series on YouTube.

I also downloaded the Action! game recording software, at: http://actionrecorder.com/en. I like it a lot, and it works great. The one I had downloaded and tried last week worked with my solitaire game, but it did strange things when I tried to record in Minecraft...took over my controls, somehow, and wouldn't let me move. I couldn't find anything in it, anywhere, that would be doing that, and couldn't figure out how to make it STOP doing it. That sent me online for one last try to find a decent piece of recording software that would work with my computer. Action! does! Woot!

I made several trials, and I think I'm going to like doing this. I hope to get to experiment a bit more, tomorrow, but it may not be until after Christmas now, as we were discussing before. We'll see how the day goes tomorrow.

In the second world I started, I almost immediately found a neat place to make a fully-underground village. I zipped one in there, and here are some pictures. It's finished, now, except that I left the game for a break just when the golem was supposed to show up, so I haven't seen if that's actually going to happen yet. It should. I think all the conditions have been met, and nothing should stop him. :uhuh:
Attachments
VillageUnderground-02.jpg
24 doors in the cave, and six doors on the front, with a tiny fenced area out in front, with glass over it. The raised area in the middle of the tunnel is the well (under slabs), and the indentations in the walls right there are a cross tunnel, walled off.
VillageUnderground-02.jpg (418.92 KiB) Viewed 773 times
VillageUnderground-03.jpg
Looking up to a baby zombie trapped in one of the "murder holes" that are placed exactly over the thresholds of the doors in the main conclave.
VillageUnderground-03.jpg (409.92 KiB) Viewed 773 times
VillageUnderground-04.jpg
Looking down on the same baby zombie. I've also caught a couple of creepers up there, as well as an adult zombie.
VillageUnderground-04.jpg (355.6 KiB) Viewed 773 times
VillageUnderground-01.jpg
VillageUnderground-01.jpg (414.93 KiB) Viewed 773 times
VillageUnderground-05.jpg
VillageUnderground-05.jpg (389.82 KiB) Viewed 773 times
VillageUnderground-06.jpg
VillageUnderground-06.jpg (382.66 KiB) Viewed 773 times
VillageUnderground-07.jpg
VillageUnderground-07.jpg (409.32 KiB) Viewed 773 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » December 18th, 2014, 5:10 pm

Woot! You're doing a great job with all this! :joy:

How are you getting the first villagers to show up to breed? Are you using creative mode? If so, then as part of your series you might want to show how to cure zombie villagers to start the village since some people are going to want to play totally vanilla and won't start a village in creative. ;-) That'll also beef up your series with one more episode!
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 18th, 2014, 10:06 pm

I was thinking exactly the same thing. :uhhuh:

The only problem with that, is that in the small biomes versions, there probably won't be any villagers to cure. Villages have to be generated in the first place, before there are an zombie villagers. If no villages get generated, well...

I did fight off a zombie villager at one point last night. I'm not sure if that means there was at least one natural village generated, or because I already had three babies and breeding was doing well, that the game picked up on THAT village and then generated a zombie villager. I think it was probably the second circumstance, since I kept the biome size just under 2 on the slider. If I'd gone to just under 3, I'd suspect the first scenario. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » December 19th, 2014, 5:05 pm

Well, posting the information about the small biomes will just give your viewers even more knowledge about villages. You have plenty to give and you'll be teaching them tons. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 19th, 2014, 11:49 pm

I typed out an intro last night, to see if that would help me remember to say the things I wanted to say, but that was just more confusing. I may try doing a very simple outline:

Who I am...

Subject...

Mention Resource Pack...

etc.

Also, unless I want a single build to be in several segments, which I'm not sure I want to do, I'll have to not only do prep stuff beforehand, but maybe even do the major part of the build, then explain what I did, and why, and concentrate on finishing the build.

I thought maybe one video for that part, then after the founders get installed, make a second video to show how they've multiplied, explaining about reputations, and how to keep them happy. If I were to do all the trading up and feeding up that I do to get the 10 villagers, it would take probably four or five videos, so I'll probably play without videoing, until it's up to the last baby needing to grow up, since it takes 20 minutes just for a baby to grow up! Also, until that 10th baby DOES grow up, babies will still spawn, as the villagers will keep trying to get to the max of ADULT villagers, and the golem won't spawn until there ARE 10 adult villagers in place.

Anyway...I'll see how that type of thing goes. Also, that will allow me to make changes to the building plan, if necessary, without having to try to OOPS something on the video. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » December 20th, 2014, 4:16 pm

Well, after we see the first video we can let you know if it was understandable or if it was confusing and you need to do it in segments so people will understand. They always say to explain things as if you're speaking to a sixth grader, so... :evillaugh:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 20th, 2014, 8:25 pm

What I'll probably do is have you vet the first couple to see what you think, so I can redo them if necessary, before uploading anything.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Our Singleplayer Games