Villages

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

Re: Villages

Postby lindawing » August 29th, 2014, 6:33 pm

I have the next shape in my head...actually waffling between an octagon or a triangle. I think I have figured out how to find the center of mass for the triangle, to get it right, and the octagon is easy, of course...just harder to build in a practical matter. Either one loses space and you can't have a full-size village. There's a forest just a bit away from the swampland village, which would make another good smaller village, though, where I could do the opposite type of village...one with no farms...just the community stuff.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 29th, 2014, 7:11 pm

I can't wait to see what you decide on. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 29th, 2014, 9:28 pm

When I got into the game just a bit ago, I got really excited! I heard a strange sound in the Trade Room, went to investigate, and my very first spawned iron golem was confined to that room, where he obviously spawned (due to all the villagers being gathered in there, I suppose). That's like the ultimate success story, because the golems only spawn when ALL the conditions are right and things have gone as they should! There are now 12 villagers there, and one golem.

I had to let him out of the room by taking out the glowstone above the doors (they are 3-blocks tall), then replacing it after he took himself outside. Then I had to go around and protect the melon and pumpkin vines with glass (it perches above the vine blocks). Then I connected those over the fruit. Now I can run through there and harvest, but I can't accidently cut down the vines, and the golems can't jump up on the vines or fruit then jump down and un-hoe the land all around. Woot!

Then I went back to the Roofed Forest village, and lo and behold THEY now have 12 villagers and an iron golem, as well! I am so stoked!

While there, I found that one of my rabbits had escaped (AGAIN...that's like three times...they jump pretty high), and there was a cow out running around in the gardens...BAD cow! Also, there was only one pig in the pen, as well. So I protected the pen with glass blocks (which won't impact the doors nearby, as transparent blocks aren't counted when the game is checking for valid doors). I also protected the small melon/pumpkin patch over there, as well.

So...onward to the next village build!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 29th, 2014, 10:01 pm

Woot! :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 30th, 2014, 6:01 am

I took these pictures earlier, but forgot to post them with the above notes.
Attachments
Villages-RoofedForest-CoveredAnimalPen.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-CoveredAnimalPen.jpg (52.18 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-Swampland-MoreBabies-01.jpg
Villages-Swampland-MoreBabies-01.jpg (112.05 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-Swampland-NaturallySpawnedIronGolem.jpg
Villages-Swampland-NaturallySpawnedIronGolem.jpg (79.15 KiB) Viewed 290 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 30th, 2014, 6:14 am

Later on, after chatting with Patty and Pierre for a while, here at the forum, and after trying to watch today's Let's Play video for TS4, and not really getting into this one, I went back to Minecraft and began laying out my third village--in an Extreme Hills area.

I had to figure out exactly how to locate the centroid of the right-angle triangle I chose to go with. Again (as with the Swampland Village), this is a half-size village, but it will be laid out entirely differently. I've pretty much realized by now that one of the two things that are absolutely necessary to the village is the deep well (which I fix as always by putting in a layer just under the ground-level layer of water, to make it safe for the villagers). The other thing that is essential is the doors, which I've figured out completely, now. It's very easy to make enough doors on even a very small village, to have a full contingent of villagers. You just have to make sure that the doors face a short distance inside, with a solid block in line with the bottom of the door, and outside of the door there needs to be a longer distance with nothing but space or transparent blocks.

The forge, butcher shop, church, and library are totally non-essential buildings, and the villagers associated with them will still spawn in the village, regardless of whether or not their places of business/homes exist. They really don't care where they live. All it takes to make them happy is a door through which they can run when night comes, and the more you trade with them the happier they get. With all the new stuff that they have in 1.8 (we're on pre-3 right now, by the way, in snapshot games), they get the same happy hearts that the animals get when THEY are happy.

When two villagers get happy together, babies happen. Once the village gets to a minimum size (it looks like 12 villagers, because both of my first ones got to 12 before it happened), an iron golem will spawn naturally. You have to watch out for these guys if you don't treat your villagers right, because they will go after YOU, instead of after any stray monsters!

I wasn't going to put any farms in my triangular village, but it dawned on me that the villagers now NEED the farms, because they keep much of the food and share it with each other. This also contributes to their happiness. Some of the food they throw out to each other, a player cannot pick up. It floats out in the air until a hungry villager comes by and picks it up. If the villagers aren't particularly hungry and do their harvesting, there's a good chance you can pick up food without doing any work at all.

On the other hand, they generally don't plant the right things after they harvest them...especially when the brand new farmers (babies) get out there to do their chores! They are so cute when they are harvesting and replanting, but boy can they mix things up! :yeah:

So...here is the beginning of my triangular village in the Extreme Hills.

The squarish building with the animal pen at its back, between the Migrant Worker Cabins, is the Butcher Shop. As I mentioned, it's not really necessary, but I figured since the Leatherworker and the Butcher will probably be spawned, anyway, why not have their place of business? :evillaugh:

I only have a Leatherworker in the Swampland Village, and I only have a Butcher in the Roofed Forest Village. So obviously it's quite random. The Career IDs don't seem to be working with the "summon villager" command since they went to the 1.8 pre-releases, so it's catch as catch can, pretty much, for the first two villagers you need to get started. You can safely summon a Librarian and a Cleric, because there is only one type of each of them. If you go for a Farmer, you are liable to get any of the three available ones, and the same for the Blacksmith careers. That's OK. They will eventually generate all of the others, as long as there are enough doors. :uhhuh:

With this village, I plan to summon both a Butcher (either type will be OK) and a Blacksmith (any of the three available ones will be OK). It's a mountain village...these would seem appropriate. The farmers generate very quickly after you get two happy villagers in the first place, so there's no real reason to start with them, though that's what I did in the Swampland Village because I wanted immediate farmers for their many fields.
Attachments
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-01.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-01.jpg (90.64 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-02.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-02.jpg (80.49 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-03.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-03.jpg (78.63 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-04.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-04.jpg (101.09 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-05.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-05.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-06.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-06.jpg (63.95 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-07.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-07.jpg (60.25 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-08.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-08.jpg (111.04 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-09.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-09.jpg (99.65 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-10.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-10.jpg (87.34 KiB) Viewed 290 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-11.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-Begun-11.jpg (82.02 KiB) Viewed 290 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 30th, 2014, 2:43 pm

I was sitting here reading your post and looking at the screenshots with Noah. He told me to tell you that your villages are so cool! He loves the bunnies in 1.8. I think I might give him the log in info for the new server. He's good at playing with other people. :uhhuh:

I love what you've done with the triangular village! Noah loves the texture pack you're using too. He's been using vanilla, but I told him I'd get him some good ones that he can switch between. ;-)

I've been showing your villages to Travis too. He thinks they're amazing!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 30th, 2014, 8:00 pm

Please tell Noah thanks for me. Glad he and Travis like the villages, too!

I think when I make the octagonal village, I'll make it in a mesa area, so I can kind of go for the Mexican look with the well being the center of a lush courtyard, and cactus outside, with flowers and red sand. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 30th, 2014, 8:02 pm

I was thinking back to Holsinger Keep. I'm going to take a look at it, because I think it would make a good village, too! So...a castle on a mushroom island, perhaps, or maybe in a Frozen Taiga!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 30th, 2014, 8:04 pm

Ocean...I think I could accomplish that, as long as the roofs just breach the surface of the water! You have to have actual air above the village, so it can't truly be underwater, but I can make use of the biome. Same with River!

In that one challenge map with the house built in the middle as the base, where you start on a ship (can't remember what the name of it was), there is a village out in the ocean, just off the beach. It was fun to renovate!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 31st, 2014, 2:03 am

The triangular village is basically complete, with five villagers. I've been changing things on the fly, as the littlies have been born. I started with a Shepherd (which was a mistake...wanted a Butcher) and a Leatherworker.

Their first child was definitely another Farmer (you can't tell which kind at first...have to wait for maturity and trading skills). He's now a Fisherman. The second child has become a Toolsmith. I've traded, now, for some lovely enchanted shovels and some fortune picks! Nice! The third child is still young, but if I'm recalling correctly he has a white apron, which would mean he could either be a Butcher or another Leatherworker...Butcher, I hope!

I labeled the little cabins with the first one for me, then the Librarian & Cleric go next to me (or at least their wares do). The third cabin is for the Farmers, and the fourth is for the Blacksmith's

All of the villagers, so far, have tried out the cabins and the Butcher Shop/Leather Goods Store, but their favorite place to be (besides out in the animal pen, it would seem) is in the stable, which is open to the great outdoors after they go through the doors.

All in all, there are 46 doors in this quite small space. With that many doors, the village could get up to about 15 villagers. I don't think I'll have to do anythign special with the iron golem arrives...there are no JUMPS to get onto the fields, so he shouldn't be able to damage anything. Woot!

Pictures...
Attachments
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-01.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-01.jpg (91.93 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-02.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-02.jpg (75.39 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-03.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-03.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-04.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-04.jpg (81.13 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-05.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-05.jpg (77.3 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-06.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-06.jpg (113.44 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-07.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-07.jpg (96.89 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-08.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-08.jpg (85.41 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-09.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-09.jpg (78.33 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-10.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-10.jpg (93.77 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-11.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-11.jpg (137.68 KiB) Viewed 286 times
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-12.jpg
Villages-ExtremeHills-4Villagers-12.jpg (85.21 KiB) Viewed 286 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 31st, 2014, 1:38 pm

Linda, another fabulous job! I totally love what you've done! :joy:

Travis would love seeing a village in the ocean. That would be so cool! In the new multiplayer world, he built part of his house underwater. It looks really neat. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » August 31st, 2014, 5:34 pm

You know, as I'm looking through all these pics, it's amazing how sim-like they look. I don't know if it's the texture pack or what. But I love seeing what you're doing. And I'm loving all the cool pics. :joy:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 31st, 2014, 7:00 pm

Oh, cool, Carrie...PART of the house underwater. I love that approach!

I'm going to check into the MP world today for a little while, I think. Won't be able to stay long, but I figure this afternoon, some of you will probably be on. I need company!

Lydia--Thanks! I think it's the texture pack. They've made all the mobs (monsters included) look much more agreeable. Even the witches aren't so ugly! :evillaugh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 31st, 2014, 8:27 pm

Just left you a PM, Carrie. I won't be able to play in the MP world for now, unfortunately. For 20 minutes (before I got DCed again, my data usage was about 100 MB! Just can't do it and still survive each month without getting throttled by the end of the month, darn it all!

I got to thinking, early this morning, about naming villagers. I did some research. It turns out you CAN name them, if you do either of two things: (1) name the spawn egg before you use it; or (2) name the children before they become adults.

I then went into NBT Explorer to see if there was any way I could rename the existing villagers. I did find one of my villages entered--the Roofed Forest one, from the coords I saw, and it shows 15 villagers, now, and 1 golem. There seems to be no way to name existing villagers from within that application, unfortunately. In that village, it has record 24 valid doors. So some of my doors in there seemingly are not valid, though I can't figure out how there are 15 villagers, if only 24 doors are counted as valid, since the villages are only supposed to populate for about 1/3 of the doors. Hmmm...

Anyway, I am going to make a COPY of the saved world (in addition to my already-existing backups), and go in and kill off all the villagers in the Roofed Village. Once all the villagers are gone, the village data is supposed to reset. So I'll go far, far away, save, then go back and save, then start with two villagers again, whom I'll name with the spawn egg and a nametag, as Founder 1 and Founder 2, since I won't be able to know which type of villager will be spawned with the egg. At least that way, I can document what those two founders are, in my log. :uhhuh:

Then, as the children are born, hopefully I'll be able to catch them all, and I can name them for their professions (which are evident by the colors of their robes). So, for instance, if a child is born who is a Farmer, I can name the first one Farmer 1; if a Butcher, I can name it Butcher 1; etc.

I think I have devised a way of getting rid of extra ones, also, that wouldn't be counted against me. As far as I know, natural deaths are not counted against a player's reputation. It's only if they are attacked or killed, that your reputation is sullied.

So...if I have a (shudder) murder hole with a LONG shaft, covered by trapdoors, then I can lure one onto it, open the appropriate door(s), and the undesirable villager will plunge to its death. I'd rather not do that, though. I get so attached! :sob:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Our Singleplayer Games