Villages

This is a public forum. We love to talk about how we're playing Minecraft on our own computers. These discussions don't include either Adventure or Challenge maps--just our own games that we have started from scratch.

Villages

Postby lindawing » August 25th, 2014, 10:42 am

I'm playing in 1.8 Pre-Release 1, which seems to be working very smoothly. There are evidently a few things they're still working on, but I don't think it will be long before 1.8 is officially released.

I renovated a village the other day, making use of the new doors, fences, stairs, and slabs (there is a set for every type of wood, now), and the new stones (andesite, diorite, and granite). I reworked every house in that village appropriately to the Savanna in which it was located.

Then I got an idea. I decided to start a new world and make villages from scratch, in every biome, using appropriate woods and other materials. I've spent a couple of days reading up on what should go into the villages. After a few practice starts, I have a world that I think will work very well. I spawned right beside a roofed forest, and it seemed like a GREAT place to make a village.

How would you ever make a village in a place like that? On "the roof," of course!

Here are my first pictures. There is still a lot of work to be done, but the perimeter buildings are done. The farms will e out there, too. The things like the forge, the church, the buther shop, and the library will bein placed around the four sides of the well.

I would like to have used the mushroom pieces (the red and white ones and the beige ones, both), but it's too big a project to do without being in creative, and you can't get those blocks in creative! You have to be in survival and have a silk touch tool. To get enough of the mushroom pieces to use for the whole village, I'd have had to find ANOTHER roofed forest and rob it of its mushrooms, also.

Instead, I went with green wool, extra dark oak leaves, all of the dark oak set of new stuff, and green hardened clay. For lighting, I'm using jack-o-lanterns.

These are little apartment buildings (N, E, S, & W) and dormitories (NW, SW, NE, and SE). Each apartment building has three apartments (all identical), and each dormitory houses four villagers. Because of the L-shape of that building, four doors can easily be used and still have room inside for villagers to look like they're using their beds. As long as I get enough "houses" (correctly-placed doors) into the village, they should be used correctly, and breeding should take place as necessary (which probably WON'T be necessary, since the whole place will be uberly-protected by the time it's complete).

Each of the little apartments will usually hold one villager at night. They only crowd into tiny places like crazy, when there aren't enough legitimate doors for all the villagers. As long as there are enough appropriate ones to go around, they will only be as many villagers in a house at night, as there are correct doors on the house.

There was almost a perfect amount of space above the roofed forest for the ideal size of village (65x65). I made it entirely flat and completely square, due to its location. Most of the other villages won't be exactly that size or shape. There are several possibilities in design that can still have the village connected correctly so that all the houses and farms are used by the villagers. If you do it right, you can even connect two villages so that the villagers will travel back and forth between the two!

You can use any materials, and there are only a few things that need to remain pretty much static. I'm still trying to make the static things more in tune with each surrounding, plus experiment somewhat with the basic designs, to try to find out how far I can go with changing things up for the individual villages.

So far I'm having a blast! :joy: :hooray:

Anyway...here are my beginning pictures of The Roofed Forest Village. I can hardly wait to get it finished!
Attachments
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-01.jpg
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-01.jpg (66.76 KiB) Viewed 438 times
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-02.jpg
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-02.jpg (43.8 KiB) Viewed 438 times
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-03.jpg
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-03.jpg (55.49 KiB) Viewed 438 times
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-04.jpg
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-04.jpg (59.78 KiB) Viewed 438 times
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-05.jpg
PreRelease18-082514-Villages-RoofedForest-05.jpg (62.48 KiB) Viewed 438 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Villages

Postby psychedelicsim » August 25th, 2014, 11:32 am

This is totally fabulous, Linda! :joy: I love the idea of creating the village on the roof. Wonderful! :yeah:

I'm really looking forward to seeing how the villages all turn out. What a great idea!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 25th, 2014, 8:26 pm

I was just thinking early this morning, that I should play about a bit with World Painter. You can make whole areas the way you want them in there, and then drop them into any world.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 26th, 2014, 11:34 am

I'd forgotten about that tool. I have it installed, but haven't really explored what it can do.
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 26th, 2014, 8:08 pm

I brought it up yesterday, with a copy of the existing world, and couldn't figure out anything at all. I can't even remember what I did before, and before, I thought it was so easy! I think I'm just too tired from everything that's happened lately. (sigh)

I did study some more on villages--trying to pinpoint exactly which things must be just so, and which things can be changed up and have the village still be successful. By successful, I mean that if the population gets (or starts) low, the villagers will propagate. I also found out about the reputation thing. Did you know that if your reputation with the villagers is too low, any iron golems that are around, will actually attack with the intent to kill, and their hits are pretty potent?!

It looks to me like the well MUST be as deep as it is, on purpose--it's part of how the game recognizes that it's an actual village, and it sets the center of the village as far as the game is concerned, even if the actual village parameters have gone outside of where they should, due to the randomness of the generation process. The very first thing the game does, to make a village, is set down the well. Then everything else is generated somewhere around that.

I also do know, now, how to reset a village to work correctly, once you've done all the other safety things. It's probably best NOT to do all the doors first, when villagers are actually THERE, because if you have to quit and come back in, the new doors will not be recognized as within the village. In order to get them to be recognized, you need to take down all the doors and put them back in. Then travel (teleporting is the easiest) out of the loaded chunk, then back in again, then save. That forces the game to recognize ALL the doors (houses) in the village, so that the villagers can have a chance to do their thing and repopulate their little town.

The easiest way to figure out how many doors you need in order to get new villagers, is to count the villagers, and make sure that you have at least three doors for each of them, then add doors in threes for every one more villager you want. The game sees all the doors and will allow about 1/3 of the number of doors to be naturally populated by the villagers.

It also SHOULD generate the correct villagers for the farms, the church, the library, the butcher shop, and the forge (smithy). It looks like those things need to be pretty close to the correct form, in order for the villagers to migrate to them correctly. You can embroider on them, or add other things beside them, but the villagers need to be able to recognized their shapes, it seems.

As for the houses, a small house with one door is designed to hold just one villager. If there are enough doors recognized as houses within the actual perimeter of the village (65 x 65 x 5, with 5 being Y), you should only find one villager per small house. The butcher shop has two doors, innately, so it is designed for two villagers, if you have everything set up (or reset) correctly.

We find so many villagers crowding into one tiny space, when the game has generated things wrong (which is part of our challenge, of course). I've often wondered why they haven't then dispersed to the other places I corrected, later, and it's because the entire set of doors hasn't been reset by leaving the chunk, fixing them ALL, leaving the chunk, then coming back, then saving. If the village overlaps two chunks, then you should go completely away from either one.

Anyway...I'm experimenting with the roofed forest one. My residential houses are similar to their usual construction, but not identical, which shouldn't matter, from what I've read. My community houses have the correct footprint, but have a few changes. For instance, the forge has an anvil, instead of a work block. I also learned that you should NOT put a door on the forge, because it works backwards. Effectively, the forge should not be considered a shelter at all, because if you put on a door, the villagers will stay OUT of the little room, because they think that's outside.

You know, though...I just had a thought; that's probably because of that work block being so close to that doorway! Hmmm... It's not even necessary to HAVE a forge, for a village to be successful, so if it doesn't work as a shelter the way it's built, it shouldn't be important to make it look the way they've made it look.

I made my library by the blueprint, but added a couple of things inside, which shouldn't matter. Then, back to back with it, I made a library annex, which holds the enchantment department. :lol: It has two shelter doors on it. Since it's right across the street from the forge, that should allow two of the blacksmiths (there should be three, in a healthy village--the armorer, the toolsmith, and the weaponsmith) to shelter there. The librarian SHOULD shelter in the library. I plan to make a little tool shed out behind the forge, for the third blacksmith. I have to make sure it is far enough away from the library annex so it doesn't nix the two doors on that building. :uhhuh:

I have the church in, with the correct footprint. I've made a couple of changes inside, but I THINK it should be recognizable to the cleric. We shall see. I forgot to recreate and print out a simplified blueprint for the butcher shop, so I'm going to do that today. Then I'm going to add my farms.

My well is larger than the original well (3x3 instead of 2x2), but I DID make it as deep...its foot goes down into the forest, perfectly. I put jack-o-lanterns all around it down there, also, and will probably make a safe house close by there somewhere, as well. I didn't use cobble to build it. We shall see if it gets recognized correctly. As for the houses, I've read that the materials don't matter. There's just not a whole lot written about the well, and whether or not it can be changed in any way. We shall see.

OK...I'll quit rambling, and get to going in TS3 for a while, then back to the village experimentation.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 27th, 2014, 10:22 am

I've finished the Roofed Forest Village and I am so excited!!! I saved first, then (in Creative Mode, still), I teleported about 20000 blocks away in two directions. Then I saved again. Then I went back and saved again.

After saving (and backing up each of those saves as I went, by the way), I carefully used the summon Village command to set in both the Librarian and the Cleric. Then, using the Creative inventory, I traded with each of them until I traded them each out, three times. Then I kept tabs on them until they got together in the Livery Stable (there will be pictures below), and I watched them both get very happy a couple of times, but not at the same time. Finally, just about when I was going to give up, they reached out for each other right after I saw both of them float all the little hearts out all over the place, and VOILA! They had their first baby! The little guy was obviously from the Blacksmith tribe, but you can't know exactly what they are until they grow up and can trade.

I followed him around for a while, then left him alone while I went down into the forest below and lit things up (especially right under the bottom of the village canopy, where the Zombies were trying their darnedest to get to those villagers up above them). They couldn't have gotten through, but I get tired of their groaning after a while. :rotfl:

When I went back up, the new little Blacksmith had grown up and had become a Weaponsmith--one of the three types that are needed for the village. If I'd had more time (it's already way too late, and I should have gone to bed hours ago), I'd have watched to see what the next child will be. I've already traded up the Weaponsmith.

At least I have the confirmation that my village is, indeed, viable! Woot! This means that it's definitely OK to make the well the slightly larger size that I did. I'll have to try one without digging it so deep, with the next one I start up, just to check to see if it still works when it comes to breeding time. If it doesn't work, then I'll know.

I also know that the size works, because the little guys who are there now, have been out to all the corners at least once. they'll only go to the areas within the 32 squares away from the center square. I'm not sure if they'll actually climb ladders up more than 5 squares or not, but I'd really rather they didn't, anyway. Everywhere they HAVE to be is either on the main layer, or up no more than three layers. So they are good.

I have either 51 or 53 viable doors in the village. I've carefully checked them to make sure their placement is good. The only reason I'm not sure about 51 or 53, is that there are two doors going out to the pen behind the butcher shop. They are viable doors, as far as their configuration is concerned, but I don't know whether they are considered "houses," since they open only to the pen area, and no NEW villagers can get in that way. They SHOULD still be counted, though, just due to their configuration.

Either way, that means this village, as it stands, can house either 17 or 18 villagers. So there's a lot of child-bearing left to do, which should escalate as the population expands, since more than one set of villagers can mate and bear children. I'm just so stoked that it really works. Now I'm really interested to see if the right villagers get spawned all the time. I could always just summon the right ones, but even then sometimes you get doubles.

Since I found out about the reputation, I don't want to kill any of them off if there are multiples that the village doesn't need. I might have to lure a few a long ways away from that village. Once they are in an area not at all connected with the village, they can be killed, as long as they aren't harmed within the bounds of their home village. :uhhuh:

Anyway...here are my pictures from tonight.
Attachments
Villages-RoofedForest-Overview.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Overview.jpg (117.92 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Apartments-01.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Apartments-01.jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Apartments-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Apartments-02.jpg (49.42 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Apartments-03.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Apartments-03.jpg (50.2 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-ButcherShop-01.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-ButcherShop-01.jpg (49.1 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-ButcherShop-02.jpg
Notice what the tabletop is made from? It's MUCH nicer than a pressure plate!
Villages-RoofedForest-ButcherShop-02.jpg (62.67 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-ButcherShop-03.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-ButcherShop-03.jpg (49.05 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-01.jpg
I summoned the Cleric inside the church, but he didn't stay there. Instead, he chose to run into the Butcher Shop next door, when it got dark. I think it's because I changed around the "altar" area at the back of the church. It's no big deal. He'll go IN there, so I know the door configuration is right, anyway.
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-01.jpg (55 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-02.jpg (28.67 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-03.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-03.jpg (48.93 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-04.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Church-04.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-01.jpg
This one is my home...for the moment, at least.
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-01.jpg (71.58 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-02.jpg (66.49 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-03.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-03.jpg (54.34 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-04.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Dormitories-04.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Forge-01.jpg
Notice the ARMOR STAND showing off some of the Blacksmith's wares!
Villages-RoofedForest-Forge-01.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Forge-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Forge-02.jpg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Forge-03.jpg
No door on the forge, as prescribed.
Villages-RoofedForest-Forge-03.jpg (34.94 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Library-01.jpg
The Librarian really does seem to like the Library. He stayed in there for two nights, before he ventured out seeking companionship, finally!
Villages-RoofedForest-Library-01.jpg (51.79 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Library-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Library-02.jpg (51.44 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-LibraryAnnex-01.jpg
The Enchantment Table and Brewing Stand are in here, along with a chest that contains some Lapis Lazuli for use with the new enchantment system.
Villages-RoofedForest-LibraryAnnex-01.jpg (43.38 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-LibraryAnnex-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-LibraryAnnex-02.jpg (62.43 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Farms-01.jpg
Oops! There are two more farms (copies of each other), on the other side of town, but I forgot to get pictures. They are different than the one with the melons.
Villages-RoofedForest-Farms-01.jpg (87.49 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Farms-02.jpg
The sugar cane is out in front of the Library. You can see the other two farms in the Overview photo, back up at the top of this list.
Villages-RoofedForest-Farms-02.jpg (53.96 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Parks.jpg
There are two of these on each side of the village.
Villages-RoofedForest-Parks.jpg (64.1 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-01.jpg
I threw this in at the last moment. Even though one side of the Livery Stable is open to the pen at the other end, the doors are viable, and they are safe from Zombies. So at least eight Villagers can shelter in the Stable (which includes the pen). It works perfectly!
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-01.jpg (55.61 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-02.jpg (46.36 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-03.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-03.jpg (44.5 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-04.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Stable-04.jpg (54.89 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-ToolShed-01.jpg
This is close enough to the forge (as is the Library Annex) that the Blacksmiths can run to cover here, if necessary.
Villages-RoofedForest-ToolShed-01.jpg (48.17 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-ToolShed-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-ToolShed-02.jpg (51.37 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Well.jpg
I set the world spawn right on top of this well!
Villages-RoofedForest-Well.jpg (49.47 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Cleric-01.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Cleric-01.jpg (41.7 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Cleric-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Cleric-02.jpg (50.32 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Librarian-01.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Librarian-01.jpg (60.47 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-GettingTogether-01.jpg
The Cleric and the Librarian finally got together at the right time, at the Stable.
Villages-RoofedForest-GettingTogether-01.jpg (47.83 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-GettingTogether-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-GettingTogether-02.jpg (47.31 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-01.jpg
Here's their baby, who is now all grown up, but I forgot to get any pictures of him at that point...I'll get some tomorrow.
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-01.jpg (47.18 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-02.jpg (51.13 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-03.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-03.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-04.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-04.jpg (48.1 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-05.jpg
Here's the baby in one of the Apartments. So I know THEY are viable for Zombie protection, too. Woot!
Villages-RoofedForest-Baby-05.jpg (54.39 KiB) Viewed 426 times
Villages-RoofedForest-Zombies.jpg
These were the only two Zombies who made it up to the top of the Roofed Forest, but they couldn't get in through the perimeter fence. Hooray! The lighting in the village is great, and I didn't use a single torch...well...except for those inside the pumpkins, which made them into jack-o-lanterns. I love their light. won't be able to really use them in every village, though...they wouldn't be perfect for all of them like they are for this one. There are a BUNCH of pumpkins growing down in the forest, right under the village!
Villages-RoofedForest-Zombies.jpg (61.56 KiB) Viewed 426 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 27th, 2014, 10:26 am

If any of you would like to see this village firsthand, I'm uploading the save file here. It won't be much longer and I won't be doing that, but it's still fairly small, so I thought you might like to see how it really looks at this point.

NOTE: This game has only been played in the latest snapshot, which is now 1.8 pre-2. We're getting very closed to the official 1.8 release. This second pre-release is running VERY smoothly. :uhhuh:
Attachments
Villages-3Villagers-RoofedForest.zip
(6.07 MiB) Downloaded 14 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 27th, 2014, 11:52 am

Sweet! Thanks Linda. :joy:

You have done an AMAZING job on this! I love all of the details that you've added. Congratulations on getting it to work correctly. The villagers have a beautiful place to live!

I did not know about the iron golems attacking when your rep with the villagers is too low. Thanks for the tip!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MamaLambNC » August 27th, 2014, 3:29 pm

WOW!!! Once again, you have blown me away with your talent!!!! I absolutely LOVE the color scheme! It's gorgeous!!! GREAT job!
Loving Helpmeet To: Bryan (40 yrs.)
Proud Mama To: BJ - 36, Angel - 32, Kathy - 28, & Shaun - 25
Caring Grandmother To: Rafael - 9, Nadya - 7, Bruce - 4 & Brooklyn - Newborn
MamaLambNC
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 27th, 2014, 7:05 pm

Thanks! I'm excited to get on to the next one, but I want to go do some actual mining in the caverns below the forest first, while waiting to see what other villagers get added while I'm in the vicinity. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 28th, 2014, 9:36 am

I went "down under" and mined for a while, tonight, and lit up more of the forest down there, as well. While I was down there, still in the vicinity of the village, the villagers made more babies!

There are now the Librarian, the Cleric, two Shepherds, a Farmer, and a Weaponsmith. They still need to come up with a Fletcher, a Fisherman, a Toolsmith, an Armorer, a Leatherworker, and a Butcher. There should be plenty of space in town for all of those. I'll go back and check on them now and again, and spend more time in the mines there, while they continue to procreate.

It's so much fun to go back up and see...children! :yeah:

Pictures...
Villages-RoofedForest-OutOnTheEdge.jpg
I spent time out on the edge, lighting it up better, and making sure that there are ways to get down, that are safe. While out there, this little rabbit popped up from below.
Villages-RoofedForest-OutOnTheEdge.jpg (82.64 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Villages-RoofedForest-ClericInTheDormitory.jpg
The Cleric decided to overnight in one of the dormitories. I caught him looking out over the valley.
Villages-RoofedForest-ClericInTheDormitory.jpg (54 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-01.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-01.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-02.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-02.jpg (54.53 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-03.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-03.jpg (68.25 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-04.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-04.jpg (52.75 KiB) Viewed 419 times

Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-05.jpg
Villages-RoofedForest-NewBabies-05.jpg (52.16 KiB) Viewed 419 times

I've started on the second village--not too far away. There's a nice swampland area just over the hill. I decided that would be a great place to build a half-size farming village. There won't be any of the larger buildings or professions (except maybe the Butcher and Leatherworker)...just enough small buildings to house the farmers (unless I decide to add the Butcher Shop). There will be a couple of farms, and that's it. I should be able to get enough villagers to populate, as long as I make enough valid doors. I have the basics set up already, with an interesting perimeter. Again, I'm using suitable materials for the biome...so much fun! Pictures tomorrow.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 28th, 2014, 11:35 am

This is so cool! I love the way everything looks with your texture pack. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 28th, 2014, 7:37 pm

Me too! When Ethan plays here, he uses vanilla, and it looks so strange to me! :rotfl:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » August 29th, 2014, 10:47 am

I learned some new things tonight. I had worked on the Swampland village last night, and had it pretty much the way I wanted it to be. I had to change quite a few things.

I had the well made deep enough, and already knew that I could make it with a real center (an inside 3x3 grid). I got fancy, though, and had the water lines running out from it, without closing the perimeter walls all the way. After making my first two villagers (a Fisherman and a Shepherd), I waited for them to begin multiplying. They were quite happy, as I had traded up with them.

Then I noticed that they didn't want to go outdoors, so I gently pushed them out during about the third day. They immediately started farming. Then, at night, they evidently couldn't get back IN. I finally realized it was because there were lily pads in front of the doors...works for me, but not for them. I quickly replaced all the door approaches with brick (I used brick because of the clay in the Swampland, even though I got the bricks from the Creative inventory instead of making them).

As soon as I replaced the "doorsteps" with bricks, the villagers began to go in and out as they should...lesson learned.

Even after that, however, they still weren't multiplying. So I removed 16 doors, thinking they didn't like four doors touching each other in the corner rooms. That evidently was actually NOT a problem. What WAS the problem, was the well's configuration. I ended up having to fill in the four missing spaces, and as soon as I did, bingo! A baby villager was born (a Librarian).

I went out to mine for a while (very close by), and while I was gone, several MORE villagers were born. When I got back, I had to kill a slime that had REALLY messed up my gardens and broken down my frames with tools in them that are around the bottom layer of the (conglomerate) house! What a mess!

This is a 1/2-size (farm only) village (33x33). The living area of it is totally flat, but the corners of the single house that has 24 doors (now) go down one level inside, so the effective village depth is 3 squares, which is within the parameter of 5 squares.

I originally had vines hanging down from the top of the well, making a sort of hallway between the well area and the open inner faces of the rooms. However, the villagers kept getting caught up by the ceiling as they passed each other in the hallway, so I ended up taking down the vines. The outside perimeter of the tree fence (which is totally trees with leaves--trimmed to be the way I want them--except for the corners, which have gated exits), has vines growing down to the water that is also all around the village.

I figured that with 24 doors (the total after removed the extra corner doors), I would get up to eight villagers. That has happened. There are now a Fisherman, two Shepherds, a Farmer, two Librarians, a Cleric, and a Leatherworker. It's hard to keep a count on them, because they buzz around so quickly--especiallyi the babies (rather like the quick little Zombie babies).

Another thing that I learned is that even though most of the babies don't do anything except run around and look into doors, etc., and have socialization with each other and their "parents," the farmer children go right to work! They are less good at organizing which things they should be planting, where, than the adult farmers are. None of them are totally accurate at that, but the adults do plant the right things more often than the children do. Once I get started on the next village (probably tomorrow), I'll give up trying to make it stay the way I designed it. :evillaugh:

Pictures are below. I'm also attaching the file that now contains the Roofed Forest Village (with ten Villagers) and the Swampland Village (with eight Villagers). It's just under 15 MB, so I should be able to get it attached here just fine.

NOTE: I debated whether or not to use glowstone or jack-o-lanterns. I didn't think pumpkins grew naturally in the swampy areas, but then I discovered that they definitely DO! I may go in and replace all the glowstone with the lanterns, instead, though that would be a big chore!!!
Attachments
Villages-RoofedForest-AnotherCleric.jpg
A second Cleric was born at the Roofed Forest. There are now a Librarian, two Clerics, two Shepherds, three Farmers, a Weaponsmith, and a Fisherman. They still need a Fletcher, a Toolsmith, an Armorer, a Leatherworker, and a Butcher. Since they can have 17 or 18 Villagers, I'm hoping the missing trades will show up on their own. I can always add a few, if necessary, but I'd like to see it happen naturally!
Villages-RoofedForest-AnotherCleric.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-01.jpg
Villages-Swampland-01.jpg (85.73 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-02.jpg
Villages-Swampland-02.jpg (87.62 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-03.jpg
Villages-Swampland-03.jpg (126.94 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-04.jpg
Villages-Swampland-04.jpg (129.1 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-05.jpg
Villages-Swampland-05.jpg (101.16 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-05a.jpg
Villages-Swampland-05a.jpg (98.04 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-07.jpg
Villages-Swampland-07.jpg (90.03 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-08.jpg
Villages-Swampland-08.jpg (69.71 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-09.jpg
Villages-Swampland-09.jpg (62.89 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-10.jpg
Villages-Swampland-10.jpg (52.83 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-11.jpg
Villages-Swampland-11.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-12.jpg
Villages-Swampland-12.jpg (116.53 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-13.jpg
Villages-Swampland-13.jpg (63.81 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-14.jpg
Villages-Swampland-14.jpg (85.01 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-15.jpg
Villages-Swampland-15.jpg (100.54 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-16.jpg
Villages-Swampland-16.jpg (75.45 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-17.jpg
Villages-Swampland-17.jpg (108.2 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-18.jpg
Villages-Swampland-18.jpg (129.12 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-19.jpg
Villages-Swampland-19.jpg (133.69 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-Well-01.jpg
Villages-Swampland-Well-01.jpg (110.45 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-Swampland-Well-02.jpg
Villages-Swampland-Well-02.jpg (89.79 KiB) Viewed 415 times
Villages-2-Swampland-8Villagers.zip
(14.77 MiB) Downloaded 16 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » August 29th, 2014, 11:52 am

Linda, this is fabulous! I love how the brick and glowstone look. Perfect! The village is so cozy and welcoming. :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Our Singleplayer Games