A Few Words About Businesses

This is a public forum. Over the years we've created many Tutorials for TS2. Most of those have been uploaded here for your use. If you don't find what you need, please ask, and someone will be glad to help, if at all possible.

A Few Words About Businesses

Postby Lynnsfw1962 » February 15th, 2014, 11:45 pm

In my game (unless I'm generally in the mood to play OFB), I will set up a bunch of shops and create "uber-owners"--that is sims who are designed specifically to be shop-owners. Not much care goes into their personal needs--it's all about the simoleons. To create your very own "uber-owner", you'll need to drag out the handy-dandy boolprop testingcheatsenabled true cheat. Once done, click on spawn and then spawn the sim modder and also the badge juicer. With these two items, I make sure they are tops in their skills and also gold badges in anything to do with shop-keeping (sales, stocking, and cash register, in addition to flower arranging). Don't foreget to make their personalities maxed out to the good side (unless of course you want a mean and cranky shopowner, that is) Once these sims are created, I usually will put them in a semi-decent house (feeling guilty because I'm about to work them like slaves) and then motherlode them enough money to purchase the shops. Here's the easy part to stocking your shop depending on what you're selling. I've found it takes about 7 or 8 straight days around the clock to decently stock any business with craftables. If it's cooked items--set them on the task and then keep 3x speed and max motives going until you've got all you need. If it's a fish shop (which by the way, in case you haven't read elsewhere is my favorite type of shop), put them out at the fishing hole and let them get to work--passing sims will not be able to resist adding to the inventory for you. Again, 3x speed and maxmotives will be your friend for life to accomplish all this. If you intend to play your "uber-owner" sim you may want to turn aging off as well so that they're not senior citizens by the time the shop opens. I've gone around and done this with all types of businesses and it always works like a charm. In my game I've actually created an entire village of "stepford" employees--they live in grand apartment buildings and work all my shops. They all possess the same maxed out qualities as the shop owners and make my played sims' shopping experiences as pleasant as possible. This seems like a lot of prep work but it does make things a lot easier for playing purposes and all of these sims are playable as well if you ever want to give them a go. I've found that popularity sims work the best for the shop workers--love meeting people and being friends. Have fun with your businesses and don't forget to scatter snapdragons everywhere to keep customers happy and coming back. -- sfw1962

That's GREAT info, Lynn! I've done a bit of that, but not to the dedicated degree that you have. Well-presented! Thanks!

One thing that I've found in businesses, is to be sure that you have an employee-only area somewhere, with locked doors! This keeps the public out of the fridge, and gives all the employees a comfort place. I always make sure there's a place to take a nap, if necessary, in the employee room, and that it's fully-stocked with food and drinks, as well.

The other thing I've found, when building, is to make sure there's a good enough space in front of the cash register(s). I've also found that one cash register usually works better than two, because buying Sims will usually queue in front of one, rather than divide themselves between two. You can MAKE them visit a second register, but it won't happen naturally. Having an experienced register person on the job at the one register is almost ESSENTIAL, too!

Depending on how busy the business generally is, you also may want to have an experienced stocker. That way, the business owner can take care of cleanups and "schmoozing" the customers--earning badges, if he/she doesn't already have them. With most of my businesses, I've found that just having two employees and an active owner works pretty well. If you have more, you are going to be losing money unnecessarily, to wages!

Of course, restaurants are different--sigh. I've found they are the hardest businesses to manage, though it would seem like they'd be the easiest! It's all because of the hosts! They NEVER do what they're supposed to do, and you lose more customers than you get, if your host won't perform correctly! It's a real pain! -- lindawing
Lynnsfw1962
Toddler
Toddler

Re: A Few Words About Businesses

Postby lindawing » February 15th, 2014, 11:47 pm

Thank you so much, Patty, for bringing this over here for us.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS2 Tutorials, Tips, Tricks, & Help