NOTICE FROM ORIGIN about TS2

This is a public forum. Over the years we've created many Tutorials for TS2. Most of those have been uploaded here for your use. If you don't find what you need, please ask, and someone will be glad to help, if at all possible.

NOTICE FROM ORIGIN about TS2

Postby lindawing » July 15th, 2014, 9:21 pm

Dear Origin gamer,

Your current version of The Sims 2 will lose technical support on 22 July 2014. We want you to have the most up-to-date version of The Sims 2 in your collection, so you will see a brand new addition to your Origin library: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection.

This is the most up-to-date version of The Sims 2 and the version that is still supported by Origin. It also features a lot more content than you may already have in your current version of The Sims 2.

The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection will appear in your Origin library automatically. You'll need to download and install it to your computer to play it.

You're free to continue playing your existing version of The Sims 2, but please note that it is an older edition of the game that will soon lose technical support. To continue receiving support on your progress of The Sims 2 -- including Sims characters, houses, etc. -- you will need to transfer your save files of The Sims 2 to the Ultimate Edition. To learn more about backing up your data, please visit http://help.ea.com/en/article/backing-u ... s-2-files/.

Once you've migrated your Sims' lives to The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection, you can better organize your Origin game library by hiding your previous version of The Sims 2. Click on the tile for The Sims 2 in your Game Library for the option to hide it. If you need additional directions, we've got you covered.

Thanks for your continuing passion for The Sims.

-- Team Origin
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: NOTICE FROM ORIGIN about TS2

Postby ukpoppyberry » July 15th, 2014, 10:17 pm

Thank you Linda!
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 15th, 2014, 11:56 pm

Actually, this information came from Pierre. He found it when he logged into Origin, I think. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PierreAndre » July 16th, 2014, 12:27 am

lindawing wrote:Actually, this information came from Pierre. He found it when he logged into Origin, I think. :uhhuh:

i found this on sims vip to be precise and on the offical sims3 forum sims4 section
PierreAndre
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby MelodyOkie » July 16th, 2014, 12:36 am

Thank you Pierre and Thank you Linda!! I will work on this tonight!! :joy:

(Linda, when I clicked on the link it says the page does not exist.) I will go into Origin to see what is there. I've really only got my creations that I will make sure has been saved to desktop; so nothing really to back-up. :friends:

I've not been able to find anything about the Sims 2 at all on Origin. I did see the post at Sims VIP and it did state for those who had the "On-Line" or Downloaded versions - something like that. I always bought my games hard copy - never trusted the "on-line" play or dl'd. I even did the search for The Sims 2 and The Ultimate version of ... but nothing at origin. Since they messed up me - and never connected OkieOK01 with Okie Melody, my records of my Sims 2 purchases are not there and I can no longer get to the OkieOK01 version of me. Tonight I have added all my Sims games to my list - but that may not make any difference since they aren't showing as "Origin" downloads. Oh, well .... at least I still have my game, supported or no... :yeah:

Please NOTE: This statement is just above the box with the info you have posted Linda:

On July 22nd, 2014, EA will discontinue the current tech support for The Sims 2 and its expansions. For players who own The Sims 2 as a digital game in the Origin client, you will now see a brand new version of your games: The Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. It is unknown at this time if/when this version will be available for all players.
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 16th, 2014, 3:58 am

OK...good, Melody. Thanks for clarifying that!!!

Patty did have it in Origin when she went to look, but then it didn't work, which was, I think, because she hadn't uninstalled her other versions. So then she uninstalled the new one without thinking about her games folder, and of course, it took away her games folder.

Thankfully, she had her saves from just a couple of weeks back, so we were able to get her back up and running with her regular game install just now. Whew!!!

SO...a word to the wise, to anyone thinking to get the extra content...I'd say DON'T DO IT! If you DO, then be SURE to back up your game files first!!! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 16th, 2014, 1:17 pm

:hug-group-6y: I don't know why everything has to be so complicated! :doh:

So, somehow I managed to find the previous me. (I still can't understand why Origin has not combined the old me with the new me and has left me with a split personality!! :evillaugh: 3/4 of my games, info, etc. reside with the old me and only the newest reside with the new me ... so it would be really great if they could. Only - I'm much too lazy to want to have to go through their chat or call and talk with them and try to explain what they've done or not done and (sigh) I have no confidence they will "get it" and "fix it" - so really don't want to expend that energy and increase my stress level over it. :evillaugh: )

Anyway OkieOK01 does show as having the "Store" version of the Sims 2. (I don't know why, since I've never dl the digital - I have the discs). Now - I've not received the email because they would not let me correct my email address - which is why I ended up with a new me in the first place, so I could use my new email address acquired here in Texas - the Oklahoma one is long gone... So, if they sent me the invite, it went to a non-existent email and I've no way to retrieve those. One good thing - I have finally been able to change the email to my husband's since Origin will not let me use mine, since it's being used by me already and Origin will not merge me together with myself.

I don't know if I should dl and install that store version? If so - I've pulled out all the files that I want to preserve to put back in with a new install. Should I uninstall the old and if so - all of it? all the eps and sps as well? Then install this store version? What do you think I should do? What would you do? If it doesn't work, I could always reinstall my existing. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 16th, 2014, 6:42 pm

I think I'd do a little research first, if at all possible, to see what others have discovered.

If you hardly ever use your TS2 anyway, as long as you saved your game files, you'd be safe just installing the new store version with its extra content, I think.

If it didn't work correctly, you could uninstall it (just be sure your backup is good, because when it uninstalls, it will take your game files with it, if you left that folder intact after backing it up). Then you could try uninstalling all of your previous TS2 installs, and try the store version again.

Personally, I wouldn't bother. I've never cared that TS2 might not be supported. I thought it already wasn't. Plus I don't play it often enough to crave the extra content. :uhuh: Also, there's the fact that Origin has to be running if you play the digital version. With my satellite connection, I don't want to do that. I'm perfectly happy with the TS2 installation I already have. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 16th, 2014, 7:13 pm

You are so right! I've thought about that and recently Origin offered a free Peggle game and that is the first time I've dl'd a digital anything from Origin and discovered I must be logged in and on line to play it. I did not like that at all!! So - thinking about this "Store" digital version - I would absolutely hate that!! I've never been one to care for the digital dl versions anyway, but the way it is with Origin makes it even worse because of the need to be on-line to play. No thank you!

And - like you, I thought they quit supporting it years ago, even before they closed the TS2 site and forums. Had no idea there was still support for it. They don't even really "support" TS3, do they? Is there ever a fix for a problem (technically) and will they honestly do a patch to fix anything now that they've moved on to TS4? I don't think so. Anyway - it would be a futile thing to change from what I have to what they are offering - requiring I play it on-line from now on. No... not for me.

So I've decided not to install the store version or pursue getting the new Sims 2 Ultimate Collection. No where do they specify what is in the "Store" version, nor in this new Ultimate Collection version. Since I have every EP and SP for the Sims 2, I would question if I would lose something, rather than gain anything by doing that.

Thank you for your input. I will put my files back into my EA folder and leave well enough alone. It would be too sad to mess my game up at this point. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 17th, 2014, 1:22 am

Agreed. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PierreAndre » July 17th, 2014, 2:01 am

well right now the origin store is not working tryed to buy a game 4.99 digital download the origin store gives me the error code 10048 and all my info is correct adress ect
PierreAndre
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » July 17th, 2014, 2:17 am

Silly EA!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » July 17th, 2014, 11:38 pm

I have not had any problems with the ultimate collection which is played offline via a desktop icon and without being logged into Origin. It does not need to be launched through Origin and Origin does not need to be running to be able to play. The email I received said to back up data to keep saved games and provided a link to instructions to do so. :yeah:

I believe this is meant for those of us who already use the Store Edition. It is an updated replacement for the Sims2 Store Edition. It is an option to be able to have supported digital download version. If you have installed using the discs and use a game disc to be able to play and are happy with what you already have there is no need to change anything. ;-)
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 12:49 am

That's good to hear, Anne! I just want to check to be sure, because I have had problems in the past, with Origin not allowing games to play unless it is running in the background.

You're sure that Origin never comes up when you launch the game? Origin, once run, is always running in the tray, unless you have specifically turned it off. If you had it on to download the new version of the game, did you then completely exit Origin, or is it still running in the background. If so, its using data all the while, which doesn't hurt much if you have cable internet.

For satellite internet, however, it can be deadly.

I'm not saying it is doing that for you...I'm just wanting to know for sure. Thanks in advance for letting me know. :friends:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » July 18th, 2014, 12:58 am

When playing Sims 2 or 3 I go offline and will have shut down Origin. So, no Origin is not running in the background and is not necessary for game play.

Again, downloading and installing the updated digital download version is optional and is meant for those who use the original Store Edition. Also, you can choose to keep playing the old version even though it will soon be unsupported.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Next

Return to TS2 Tutorials, Tips, Tricks, & Help