Updating Your Graphics Settings for TS2 (UPDATED 12/29/14)

This is a public forum. Over the years we've created many Tutorials for TS2. Most of those have been uploaded here for your use. If you don't find what you need, please ask, and someone will be glad to help, if at all possible.

Updating Your Graphics Settings for TS2 (UPDATED 12/29/14)

Postby lindawing » April 15th, 2014, 7:57 am

Because the game is so old, it was never changed to the newer resolutions, but you can change that by opening four documents and changing them, after you back them up. The Config directories are for your game, and the CSConfig directories are for BodyShop and HomeCrafter. The first two folders set the parameters for the base game, and the other two folders should be for the last EP you installed. For me, and probably for most of you, that's M&G.

C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Config/Graphics Rules.sgr
C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/CSConfig/Graphics Rules.sgr
C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff/TSData/Res/Config/Graphics Rules.sgr
C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff/TSData/Res/CSConfig/Graphics Rules.sgr

COPY AND PASTE EACH OF THE Graphics Rules.sgr FILES, then rename the pasted files to Graphics Rules.bak, before you go on with the rest of this. That way, if this doesn't work for you (and it should), you can always switch back to what it USED to be, by deleting the changed files and renaming the .bak to .sgr, in those pasted files.

Down very close to the bottom of the document, you'll find this section (the xxx part is filled with resolution numbers):

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth xxx
uintProp maxResHeight xxx
uintProp defaultResWidth xxx
uintProp defaultResHeight xxx

setting $Medium
uintProp maxResWidth xxx

setting $High
uintProp maxResWidth xxx

The old numbers are VERY low, and won't match or even come near most new computer or monitor capabilities.

Check out your preferred resolution for the monitor you are running, then use those figures throughout.

Mine is a 16 (wide) to 9 (high) ratio, which means the bottom number is multiplied by 1.777777777778 to become the top number. You can figure that out, if your resolution setting doesn't show you the preferred numbers like mine does, by dividing the top number by the bottom number. Then set all of the graphics settings in this document to the correct values for your own computer.

Here's what mine looks like, for my 1920x1080 native resolution:

option ScreenModeResolution
setting $Low
uintProp maxResWidth 1280
uintProp maxResHeight 1080
uintProp defaultResWidth 1280
uintProp defaultResHeight 1080

setting $MediumButDefaultLow
uintProp maxResWidth 1920
uintProp defaultResWidth 1920

setting $Medium

setting $High

Putting your preferred resolution into every spot like this, forces the game to allow the correct ratio for your screen, no matter what. Notice that this pasted information has one extra section, which gives your game a little more flexibility. Just copy this list, and paste it over the original list, then change out the numbers to your own preferred resolution. Be sure to SAVE before you go to the next document.

Don't forget that you must change this file in ALL FOUR PLACES that I noted at the beginning of this post.

NOTE: If you use Any Game Starter, you will need to do this IN EVERY EP FOLDER, for both config folders.

Another thing that you should do is to make sure your video card is listed for TS2.

Look first in your TS3 game, here:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\The Sims 3\Game\BinGraphicsCards.sgr

More than likely, you'll find your own graphics/video card listed there. If you don't know what your card is, you can find it in Control Panel/System/Device Manager/Display Adapter.

When you find your card, COPY THE LINES THAT PERTAIN TO IT.

Then you're going to paste those lines into the Video Cards.sgr in the same four locations as you did for the graphics rules:

C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/Config/Video Cards.sgr
C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2/TSData/Res/CSConfig/Video Cards.sgr
C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff/TSData/Res/Config/Video Cards.sgr
C/Program Files [x86 if you have 64-bit]/EA Games/The Sims 2 Mansion and Garden Stuff/TSData/Res/CSConfig/Video Cards.sgr

The graphics cards are listed in descending order, but I don't think it really matters a whole lot. If you just find the general area and create a space for the ones you copied, and paste them in, it should work.

I have an AMD Radeon HD 7700 Series card. I pasted my information right above the AMD Radeon 7500 Series information.

Be sure to SAVE after you make your changes, and don't forget to do all four places (or all the same files for all the EPS, if you use Any Game Starter).

Once you've done both the Graphics Rules.sgr and the Video Cards.sgr files, your game should come filling your whole screen. If you want to run it windowed, you must change the shortcut properties right-clicking on the shortcut, and choosing Properties. Then in the Shortcut tab, you'll see the address of that shortcut in the Target line. At the VERY end of that address (after the final "), add a SPACE, then -w. That tells TS2 that you want to run it in windowed mode, which allows you to access your Start menu and desktop while the game is running. The game will continue to load while you do other things, if you run it in this manner.

IF YOU ARE STILL HAVING PROBLEMS, CHECK OUT THIS LINK I JUST FOUND!!!

http://www.leefish.nl/mybb/showthread.php?tid=5446
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Updating Your Graphics Settings for TS2

Postby Jacqpinks » July 18th, 2014, 7:25 am

This has really got me frustrated today :( I have loaded the ultimate version through Origin and I can't get it to work :( I am so failing :( I haven't even thought about attempting the graphics card info :( I am so going to lose it soon :(
Jacqpinks
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 7:55 am

There are a lot of people having problems with the ultimate version working--mostly due to an already-used registration number, I think. Also, you will have had to uninstall your previous installs (and be sure you have backed up your game files, of course).

Patty called EA yesterday, and they told her they WOULD get it working for her, if she wanted to re-install it (by then she had totally uninstalled it). So you might want to call them and let them know that you are having problems, and it sounds as if they'll help.

Once you get that part taken care of, I can help you get the video card thing straightened out, if necessary. They may have actually updated their video card files to newer versions, since this is a recent update. We can always hope...right?
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jacqpinks » July 18th, 2014, 8:12 am

I hadn't had the Sims 2 installed on my laptop at all so there was no issue there, and I am trying to work out the resolution out and get that sorted but I am just not getting it too work, I was going to worry about the graphics card after that :) it is just a huge headache now and Timmy is just about to take the laptop out of my room to play it :( this computer I share with him so he doesn't feel like he hasn't got a comp lol
Jacqpinks
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 6:20 pm

You probably won't be able to sort out the resolution until you do the graphics card thing, unfortunately.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jacqpinks » July 18th, 2014, 6:33 pm

OH Bum lol

This seems to much work just to play a game lol u would think they would have updated those for us hey lol
Jacqpinks
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 9:51 pm

You'd think so, to be sure! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jacqpinks » July 19th, 2014, 10:36 am

There doesn't seem to be a file to change the video card files, I can't find any of those to change, I even searched the whole file :( this is just going to be a huge pain in the butt :(
Jacqpinks
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » July 19th, 2014, 6:33 pm

Do you have the extensions turned on, in folders on your computer?
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jacqpinks » July 20th, 2014, 9:25 am

yes :)
Jacqpinks
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » July 20th, 2014, 5:40 pm

Hmmm...so...no Video Cards.sgr file at all? Obviously they must have changed something, then, with the Ultimate Collection! Oh dear!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Jacqpinks » July 21st, 2014, 5:59 pm

I have decided to pull out one of the old computers and hide it behind the TV in my bedroom and play on that :) I am so over trying to work this one out lol
Jacqpinks
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » July 21st, 2014, 7:18 pm

That's a good idea!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MamaLambNC » July 24th, 2014, 9:48 pm

I used the above instructions & was able to bring over "The Stories" (You know...Castaway Stories, Life Stories, & Pet Stories) from Windows 7 to Windows 8.1...And they work absolutely GREAT! Thank you so much, Linda!
Loving Helpmeet To: Bryan (40 yrs.)
Proud Mama To: BJ - 36, Angel - 32, Kathy - 28, & Shaun - 25
Caring Grandmother To: Rafael - 9, Nadya - 7, Bruce - 4 & Brooklyn - Newborn
MamaLambNC
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 24th, 2014, 9:50 pm

Woot! You go, girl! :joy: :hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator