New Supported : The Sims2 Ultimate Collection

This is a public forum. If you have been playing a TS2 legacy or challenge, you may want to share your stories here. Please do not upload files here. Save those for the TS2 Sims Downloads forum.

New Supported : The Sims2 Ultimate Collection

Postby PattyHeart » July 17th, 2014, 8:07 pm

Last night I received an email in my account associated with EA letting me know to look for The Sims 2 Ultimate Edition in my Origin Account (My Games). This replaces the Store Edition which will no longer be supported after 22 July 2014.
Attachments
Sims2 Ultimate Collection.jpg
Sims2 Ultimate Collection.jpg (121.65 KiB) Viewed 1320 times
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: New Supported : The Sims2 Ultimate Collected

Postby PattyHeart » July 17th, 2014, 8:17 pm

I am not sure how this will affect the sharing of created content. I do know that the Store Edition saves some content differently from the disc installed Sims 2. I do not yet know how this will affect sharing created content. I do prefer being able to start up and play The Sims 2 (off line) without needing to keep a game disc handy.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » July 17th, 2014, 9:22 pm

We've been talking about this here:

viewtopic.php?f=66&t=2249

This is not a straightforward thing. It has already caused Patty several problems that we got rectified two days ago. I would be very, very careful about installing this Origin version. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » July 17th, 2014, 10:56 pm

Thank You, Linda. I have already installed this. So far -so good. I missed the discussion thread, but then I've only had time to quickly pop in and out again lately.

Here is the information that is linked to in the Email I received. The email states that to keep our saved games we need to back up our data. I had already done a routine back up, however, wanting a fresh start I chose to not include this.
Attachments
backUpSims2.jpg
backUpSims2.jpg (66.01 KiB) Viewed 1313 times
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: New Supported : The Sims2 Ultimate Collection

Postby PattyHeart » July 18th, 2014, 12:48 am

I believe this is meant for those of us who already use the Store Edition. It is an updated replacement for the Sims2 Store Edition. It is an option to be able to have a supported digital download version. If you have installed using the discs and use a game disc to be able to play and are happy with what you already have there is no need to change anything.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 1:00 am

I don't know why they wrote those instructions for Vista any differently than they did for XP! For both Vista and Windows 7, you should follow the instructions they gave for XP, EXCEPT that once your new game is installed, you should not MOVE your backup copy over to the original games folder...you should COPY it over, so that you retain your backup on the other drive (or other directory).

Always, when making a backup, you shouldn't CUT or MOVE anything...just COPY and paste. Too many things can go wrong in a file transfer. You may need your original files if something happens.

Regarding the digital version...yes...that's what they have said. Some confusion, however, has ensued because the NEW digital version is showing up in Origin for people who do NOT have the original digital versions. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » July 18th, 2014, 1:05 am

I understand that EA is wanting to make this available to all. It was to first be given to those who have Sims 2 games through Origin. It is a gift to accept or not.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 3:02 am

That's what I read, too...that others will eventually be given the chance to get the free digital combo version. What's confusing is that is showing up for people like Melody, who have never downloaded any of their games through Origin.

Also, I just checked in my Origin games listing. I have never had a Sims 2 package in there before. Now I have both the store edition AND the NEW ultimate edition! The only Sims game I have ever downloaded through origin is Sims Medieval, and they popped that in there for me when I couldn't get my purchases DVD to install correctly right after its release.

I also have one of the Need for Speed games and Sim City 5. Other than that, I have ALL of the TS3 games available for download, though I've purchased them all and installed them all physically--never from Origin.

So it's puzzling to me why I have both the TS2 store edition and the TS2 ultimate edition available to me in Origin, when they specifically said that the ultimate edition (at this point) is only for those who have purchased the digital edition previously.

I still don't understand about what they are saying about the game being supported (which I guess, now, means that they are talking ONLY about the digital versions regarding support...???), and that all but the ultimate version will not be supported any longer after the date they stated. It was my understanding that all support for all TS2 games was cancelled a couple of years back, when they discontinued the website. I guess I just didn't get that information correct, back then.

Anyway...I am really glad it is working for you, Patty, and I hope with all my heart that others who go the ultimate TS2 route get full satisfaction, as well. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » July 18th, 2014, 4:51 am

I don't recall buying a Store Edition. I did make some purchases at the Sims2 EA store and did register my game. I do remember that when I found it (Long ago) in Origin that I was pleased. Could not download it over dial up so it sat there until I could give it a try. I do like being able to play merely by clicking an Icon,

OH AND BY THE WAY!! With the Ultimate Version the launcher is GONE!!!!!!
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 5:18 am

Wow! That's definitely a plus, about the launcher, then! Also, Patty mentioned that she had read that people say the ultimate version of TS2 WILL run directly on Windows 8, without having to do the compatibility issue thing. That's also good!

So...it looks like maybe EA put the store version in there for people who had registered TS2 at some point, and they supported that. Now they've added the ultimate one which will be the supported one, to work without the launcher, on Windows 8, with the extra content.

Do you remember how big the download is, Anne?
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » July 18th, 2014, 6:12 am

Linda, I began the download sometime between 12:15 and 12:29 a.m. and it completed at 3:a.m. With Hughes.net (Tom is looking up the info to make sure I get this right! ( between 2:a.m and 8;p.m we get a bonus 15 gigabites download making it 30 gigabites during that time.)

I can say how long it took but do not recall the size. It does state the size at the get-go. It used up some of our tokens! (For the first time. These were complementary tokens.)

I'm thinking saying we may get extra content means is that the Ultimate Collection contains every EP and Ever SP. (?) I don't know if the holiday (Christmas, etc.) is also included. Will take a look see.

Good to know about windows8. I have a new PC on the way. Saved up for it. Dell Alienware. Tom urged me to get a gaming PC this go 'round. So good to know this new TS2 installs on Windows 8!
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby PattyHeart » July 18th, 2014, 6:22 am

Speaking of downloads over Satellite - I have pre-ordered The SIms 4 on a disc.

EDIT: some one at MTS says that the DL size is 12.5GB.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 8:05 am

I have HughesNet now, too, Anne, and I love it. We can't get the Gen 4 connection here (but maybe over the next year or so), due to where we live, but we do have the Connect Pro service, which gives us 20 GB of data allowance per month. It resets at 1 AM on the 18th of each month (just reset an hour ago). We have 10 GB of anytime allowance and 10 GB of Bonus Bytes (the 2 AM - 8 AM allowance that can never be throttled). We were also given some complimentary Token Bytes by a rep, a few days ago.

He's working with the HughesNet engineering team to get the bonus simpoints thing working through HughesNet. I can access them through my phone internet connection, but don't want to use that data unless we just have to. I can't access the button to get the points using our HughesNet ConnectPro connection.

Can you access it with the Gen 4 connection? If so, I'll let the tech know that when he calls back probably next Monday. He told me that the engineering team is actively pursuing this problem WITH EA, so it should actually get resolved! They are really, really very nice people at HughesNet. I'm very appreciative of their customer service!

Anyway, when he called last Monday (the 7th), he saw that we had been throttled on our anytime allowance (which had happened because of my daughter and granddaughters being here...they didn't understand what I meant about the allowance until it was too late...sigh), so he gave us 2 GB of Token Bytes. That was so nice of him!

90% of the time, Jonny and I are up past 2 AM, and we'll be doing most of our downloading during the Bonus Byte period. So this month we'll be being very, very careful of that, and saving our cell phone data as much as possible, too, so that if necessary, we can hook up through our phones and still not have to pay for any more data there.

All in all, the service is MUCH better than what we received with Wildblue, and the customer service people are like 700% better!!! What a blessing!!!

All that said to say that I still won't be downloading/installing/using the new TS2 digital download, since I have other things that I'd rather use my download allowance for. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » July 18th, 2014, 7:40 pm

Linda, wise decision. Makes no sense to download anything that we do not need to and will not use. Those who install TS2 via disc and do not have and use the Sims 2 Store Edition (Digital download), have this all set up and are happy with it are better off keeping things as they are. :uhhuh:

It sounds to me like some are wanting to download and install the Ultimate Collection only because they want to get something free when some will have been better off to stay with what is already working for them. :rotfl: :uhuh:

Because I have been mostly a store version user and like to play without needing to have a disc handy the updated store version (Ultimate Collection) makes sense for me to download.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby MelodyOkie » July 18th, 2014, 7:57 pm

PattyHeart wrote:Linda, wise decision. Makes no sense to download anything that we do not need to and will not use. Those who install TS2 via disc and do not have and use the Sims 2 Store Edition (Digital download), have this all set up and are happy with it are better off keeping things as they are. :uhhuh:

It sounds to me like some are wanting to download and install the Ultimate Collection only because they want to get something free when some will have been better off to stay with what is already working for them. :rotfl: :uhuh:

Because I have been mostly a store version user and like to play without needing to have a disc handy the updated store version (Ultimate Collection) makes sense for me to download.

I'm one of those who have never used the "store version" and have all the discs and feel better about it that way. So, I may not dl and install the new "Ultimate Store Version" if they ever offer it to me. :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to TS2 Sims Discussions