Cedar Cottage

This is a public forum. Would you like to discuss your Residential TS3 lots, or perhaps share some photos? If so, you've come to the right place. You are free to post polls if you'd like community input. Please do not post files here. Save those for the TS3 Residential Lots Downloads forum.

Cedar Cottage

Postby Ahsitael » April 3rd, 2017, 2:40 am

I found this little cabin plan online some time ago for a monthly build challenge on the official forums. Given how hectic life can be, I never had the time to participate, but I kept the plans saved for later. After moving my game over to Steam and starting fresh, I thought why not now? Please go easy on me! This is the first TS3 build I've ever decided to share!

Here's the inspiration:

When I build, I usually lay out flooring or foundation in the shape I want and add a little landscaping or terrain paint. This was a habit I got into after finishing a few houses and realizes there wasn't enough room for the yard! Plus, if I get burned out on the house, I can swap over to the landscaping or vice versa.

All I have so far! I'm thinking of putting an outdoor firepit in the mulch area.
Where words fail, music speaks.
Ahsitael
Infant
Infant

Re: Cedar Cottage

Postby lindawing » April 3rd, 2017, 5:18 am

That is so adorable!!!

I do the same thing with the floor layout and at least a sidewalk, as you've done here. That helps me visualize the rest of it better.

Do you have the actual floorplan, or did they just give you the front elevation to go by?

Last month, Melody and I were working on three houses, where we only had the floorplan, and didn't have any picture of the actual building to go by. That was fun, too. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ahsitael » April 3rd, 2017, 6:44 am

I found the floor plans, too! http://www.washingtontimberframe.com/re ... e1150.html

It's way too late tonight and I have work tomorrow. Spent way too long playing with fog emitters. But, here's a shell:

Ahsitael
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » April 3rd, 2017, 8:43 am

Oh, so lovely!

Fog emitters are a lot of fun, once you get the hang of them. :uhhuh:

Thanks for that link. I had gone to their main site, but somehow couldn't find that particular plan. :hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » April 3rd, 2017, 2:04 pm

That is a darling cottage to build from!! You are doing a great job so far!! I also start with the floor plan to lay it out on the lot. This always tells me if I need a bigger lot and where to place it. When I recreated the TS2 homes for our TS3 worlds, I loved that they all had the foundation - that made it so easy to lay out properly!! :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » April 3rd, 2017, 8:34 pm

:uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ahsitael » April 3rd, 2017, 10:51 pm

Thank ya'll! Got a bit of homework to do today, but I'm looking forward to continuing my project after. I've got the DIY chimney set stuck on there and that's why I was playing with the fog emitter. I MOO'ed the actual chimney cap in there, but it sticks out the top.
Ahsitael
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » April 4th, 2017, 1:58 am

I've used that in the past, too. ;-) Have fun with the homework! :grin:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ahsitael » April 10th, 2017, 5:06 am

I've got a small update tonight. This just shows a little of the fencing/columns I decided on, but haven't CASTed yet. The walls are painted white just so I can see if there are any of those weird little spots that don't shade correctly and will need to have the paint color adjusted later.

I also have two of the same lot saved with slight differences. In the plans, there is a small bay window off the kitchen area, but there isn't one that small in the game. Originally, I left it out. Ms. Melody thought the bay window would be nice, so these shots show the house widened by a tile (front to back) in order to fit in one of the bigger windows. The smaller ones don't mesh very well with the overall feel of the build, nor the size. Plus, they're too short to have a roof over them and it kinda looks funny!

Here's how the fireplace area is affected. It also widens the upstairs a tile, or the roof cuts into the windows if I don't.

And here is the side with the added bay window. It also allowed me to add the little round window under the eave.

Lastly, here's a comparison showing how the main floor would be affected in the build. Mostly the space around the stairs, as well as the little room where a half bath would go. In the plans, the half bath is under L-shaped stairs. The pre-made L-shaped stairs cut right into the middle of the upstairs while stairs I make with CFE mess with my roof line. So straight stairs it is!

At this point I think I'll work a little on both and see if I don't end up preferring one over the other as each has things I like and don't like. :hmmm:

EDIT: I moved the door on the first half bath to the middle, but posted the wrong shot. Oops! XD
Ahsitael
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » April 10th, 2017, 11:32 am

It is really cute! I like either way, and can hardly wait to see how you proceed in the end. :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ahsitael » April 10th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Thank you! I have a few hours before work today and homework is done, so we'll see how much I can accomplish! :D
Ahsitael
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » April 10th, 2017, 6:48 pm

:joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » April 10th, 2017, 7:51 pm

Nice Work!! :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ahsitael » April 17th, 2017, 3:08 am

Thank ya'll! I've got just a short update tonight on the exterior recoloring. I had quite a few pictures for you, but apparently only two saved. And as luck would have it, the two were of the exact same angle. So, here's the only photo I managed to get! :doh:

EDIT: I forgot to recolor the porch! :ohno:
Ahsitael
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » April 17th, 2017, 9:06 am

This is so adorable! Looking forward to more photos when you have time. I know it's going to be really stunning when you're finished! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to TS3 Residential Lots Photos & Discussions