Field of Flowers

This is a public forum. You may discuss anything here. It's a good place for a "soapbox," but just remember the forum rules, please.

Field of Flowers

Postby MelodyOkie » October 17th, 2016, 6:58 pm

I had mentioned in the chat that this year we let our backyard go without mowing longer than normal. When we were going to mow, I noticed it had become a field of flowers and was virtually layered with Monarch butterflies. We couldn't mow now. so for several weeks we've left it be. It is now becoming less floral and although yesterday there seemed to be more butterflies than flowers, today, with the higher winds and clouds, there aren't as many. I did get a picture today because Linda wanted to see what I was talking about. Wish I would have taken it yesterday, then I might have gotten a few Monarchs in the picture. Anyway - here Is our "Field of Flowers"

Field of Flowers.jpg
Field of Flowers.jpg (432.87 KiB) Viewed 581 times
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Field of Flowers

Postby lindawing » October 17th, 2016, 10:54 pm

It is so beautifu! I think maybe there is at least one bright buttefly near the bottom of the photo, just to the left of center. Thank you, Melod! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 17th, 2016, 11:14 pm

Thank you! We may never mow again!! :evillaugh: There are several Monarchs just in front of me that you can just make out the orange of their wings in the picture. A lot of them have returned this afternoon. They are just too fast for me - I'm old and I'm slow. I'm surprised they've not moved on, but I guess as long as it's warm here and we've plenty of food for them, they'll hang around awhile longer. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 18th, 2016, 12:47 am

We've had some beautiful white butterflies this year. I've noticed them mostly when David was mowing across the driveway from the main yard. They would fly up, over here, closer to my bedroom window. So pretty!!!

Right now, unfortunately, we are fighting a DROVE of box elder bugs from the harvested (and being-harvested) fields. YUCK!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 18th, 2016, 2:02 am

The butterflies are so beautiful - all colors. We generally have some of each, but have never had so very many of the Monarchs before. Last year we were hearing they were on the endangered species list. Go figure. There was some wives tale of the white butterflies about they would show up when a loved one had died - I forget all the details, but it brought great comfort to Cheryl when her first husband died (Hayden's Father); we also get quite a few of the yellow ones and sometimes delicate pink ones as well.

Those box elder bugs are nasty!! :ohno:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 18th, 2016, 4:37 am

I love all the different butterflies. I think they are one of God's prettiest creations (in the flight form, at least). :grin:

I had never heard that about white butterflies. I WAS (and have been, often, this summer) thinking about both my mom and uncle. I guess that qualifies. :grin:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 18th, 2016, 2:30 pm

:uhhuh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » October 19th, 2016, 9:52 pm

I'd love such a garden! Really wonderful how much space you get over there!

I caught a snap of this little fella last summer in my mums garden, couldn't believe how close I got :uhhuh:
Attachments
butterfly.JPG
butterfly.JPG (2.31 MiB) Viewed 572 times
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 19th, 2016, 10:17 pm

That is beautiful!

I zoomed in on a few that were in flight and I was able to get them. When they do light - it's down in among the flowers, so can't see them well at all. They were just flying all about and all around me yesterday. Some came close to landing on me. I didn't want to scare them so this slow old lady was even slower at taking the pictures. :evillaugh:

Butterflies.jpg
Butterflies.jpg (487.14 KiB) Viewed 571 times
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 20th, 2016, 12:43 am

Love both of those shots! Butterflies, butterflies, butterflies!

Judi says we've had quite a few monarchs through here this year, also. So lovely!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 20th, 2016, 1:49 pm

We've had a cold front blow through early this morning, so not sure the Monarchs will still be hanging around after this. :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 20th, 2016, 7:03 pm

It got down in the high 20s here last night, too. Harry works at the Cheese Factory in Milbank. He says that there has been a bit of a milk shortage for the past few days, with the somewhat strange seasonal change.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 21st, 2016, 12:02 am

Now that is interesting! I've been feeling like everything is haywire; just strange. We've had to be somewhere every day this week and it just seems so weird - whether it's the way people are driving or something else, things seem off this week for some reason. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 21st, 2016, 12:16 am

I agree! It just hasn't seemed "right," all week. I think we can probably blame that big storm that blew in over Washington state over the weekend. The changing lows and highs have probably begun to affect us out this way, as well. The last couple of days, my ears have bee popping now and again, as if going up or coming down in an airplane, or driving up and down hills. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 21st, 2016, 1:09 pm

Could very well be. I just know something is off kilter. And it seems to just be getting worse. I need to post a prayer request in our town. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Open Discussion