Francy Farms (Our Home)

This is a public forum. You may discuss anything here. It's a good place for a "soapbox," but just remember the forum rules, please.

Francy Farms (Our Home)

Postby lindawing » May 9th, 2016, 12:57 am

I put this in the open discussion area, so anyone can see the pictures. It's Mother's Day 2016, and a bunch of us have been sharing pet pictures.

I couldn't find a picture of Cap'n Jack, our BEAUTIFUL, favorite rooster, but I have EGG pictures! :rotfl:

20160322_151610.jpg
20160322_151610.jpg (2.96 MiB) Viewed 645 times

20160329_133901.jpg
20160329_133901.jpg (2.86 MiB) Viewed 645 times

20160405_141454.jpg
20160405_141454.jpg (2.72 MiB) Viewed 645 times

20160407_093354.jpg
20160407_093354.jpg (2.17 MiB) Viewed 645 times

As you can see, we have quite an array of sizes and colors. They are very good eggs, but we're still not getting enough, for the number of laying hens we have. We should probably be getting over a dozen a day, at least, and it's only about 5-6, on the average.

Judi was just saying that Harry thinks it's because there aren't enough windows in the chicken coop. There are some small windows up high (it used to be a granary), but nothing down low, and though the hens are outside all day, ranging around the huge run, and the roosters are out ranging the property, the hens probably need more daylight inside. We will be rectifying that, soon.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Francy Farms (Our Home)

Postby PierreAndre » May 9th, 2016, 1:00 am

linda my bfff the secret with laying hens is in order for the hens to lay there eggs they need to be happy :-)
PierreAndre
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby MelodyOkie » May 9th, 2016, 1:36 am

Nice eggs! :uhhuh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 9th, 2016, 2:52 am

Thanks, Melody...I love the different colors, and they really are delicious. :joy:

Pierre--they are VERY happy hens, believe me. :lol: They are also well-fed, and they get plenty of time outdoors, etc. The eggs they lay are good ones. We just need to come up with the right combintation of indoor/outdoor stuff. It's our first full year, and we're still learning. :-)

The roosters are allowed full ranging, but Harry hasn't let the hens out that way, because we do have predators (coons and coyotes) all around. He may end up having to do it, but I think getting some openable windows into the coop itself will solve the problem. We shall see. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Ahsitael » May 9th, 2016, 4:28 am

When I was growing up, when kept chickens for a time. The only natural light in the coop was from a window on the back wall and the glass door. We fenced off an area to the front and one side of the coop for them to roam during the day. It was a good six feet high. We had plans to put wire over the top for protection from hawks, but it wasn't needed. Our only problem was animals trying to dig under the fencing. So it's best to go with a taller fence and bury it a foot or few.

Either way, good luck with your birds. c:
Where words fail, music speaks.
Ahsitael
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » May 9th, 2016, 6:37 am

Yes! :-) We had a good temporary run for the winter, that couldn't be dug under, but it wasn't as neat and tidy as Harry wanted. The new, improved run (with some shade as well as direct sun, for our hot summer days) has now been built. It's quite large, and has had permanent posts placed, with buried chicken wire, and a wired top, because we do have hawks and other birds of prey all over the place out here.

So they have plenty of good space to roam during the day. Harry also makes sure that their entry door into the coop is shut at night, and there's always a night light going.

They always eat well, too, so we're just trying to make sure we get everything done the best way. The largest contingent of hens are new to us (only about a month, now), plus they're all fairly young (the RI reds, that lay the brown eggs). The eggs they HAVE laid are healthy and good, so it may just be that they need more time to settle in completely.

I'm sure Harry and Judi will get it all figured out in time. Book-learning is one thing, but experience another. ;-)

Harry is actually now a certified poultry guy (can't remember the term, but he has a license and a nametag-type badge). He can now buy and sell chickens legally, and can go inspect chickens at other locations, all over South Dakota. He can also charge a fee, to at least cover gas and mileage. He had to test for it, and I'm pretty proud of him for going for it. Hooray! :hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 9th, 2016, 5:06 pm

Aw, so cute! I'd love chickens! We have brown eggs here all the time, white eggs would be unusual! Hopefully they settle down and start laying more eggs :joy:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 9th, 2016, 5:23 pm

I'm sure they will. If we just wanted them for us, the current amount would be pretty good, but Harry would really like to sell them, too. When I was growing up, we had chickens, ducks, geese, and turkeys for a couple of years. We always had brown eggs. They were great, and fresh eggs are tons better than old store ones. These days, most store eggs are pretty fresh, but not as fresh as having your own supply.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 9th, 2016, 5:31 pm

That would be cool! Hope you can get what you need soon! I always wanted white eggs, whatever you don't have you like :rotfl:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 9th, 2016, 7:14 pm

My brother always had laying hens, and for awhile had guinea hens. I liked the little guinea hen eggs, but it took a lot of them. :evillaugh: I also liked the brown hen eggs; but Terry didn't care for either. He likes his store-bought white eggs. :evillaugh:

My other brother's wife now has quite a few laying hens. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 10th, 2016, 1:25 am

What I DON'T care for with chickens, is that inevitably, some of them are going to end up in the stewpot (or the frying basket). What we've decide, here, is that any chickens that are going to go that route will be delivered to one of the local butchers who buys chickens, in trade for already-packaged and frozen chickens from someone else's farm. Much better that way--especially since all of ours have been named! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 10th, 2016, 1:52 am

Can't blame you there. When I was very young, we stayed with my Uncle and Aunt for awhile. They had chickens. They ate chickens. We saw her go after a chicken with an axe. Cut it's head off and the rest of it kept running around. Then she plucked said chicken, once it finally quit running around. We had some very delicious fried chicken for dinner that night ... :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 10th, 2016, 4:02 am

Yup...been there and done that, and had to help with the plucking...yuck. Enough said. :evillaugh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 13th, 2016, 4:30 pm

I'd rather not think about eating any meat too much, if I do, then I begin to think of being vegetarian again! Seeing the little baby lambs with their Mummy's last week in the Lake District makes you think :doh:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 13th, 2016, 9:56 pm

Agreed! "Strangely enough," Ethan won't eat chicken these days. He will eat chicken nuggets if he absolutely has to, but not pieces. He gets PB&J when it's chicken for dinner. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Open Discussion