National Coffee Day has gone International

This is a public forum. You may discuss anything here. It's a good place for a "soapbox," but just remember the forum rules, please.

National Coffee Day has gone International

Postby MelodyOkie » September 30th, 2015, 2:24 pm

I had never heard of "National" Coffee Day and it seems like everyday on fb is a "National something day". I know that I celebrate whatever "National" day is announced. (I was giving myself a day off ... however, my house got very dirty and I decided not to do that anymore.) :evillaugh:

Anyway - the most recent is "National" Coffee Day AND it fit right in for me because I had just gotten a "Fall tour around the states" from my coffee place and it was delivered on .... wait for it .... National Coffee Day!! My very first celebration cup was a California Blend that was so delicious, I must find it in the store so I can always have it on hand!

So - I also "googled" "National" Coffee Day and found out that it has gone "International" this year on October 1st!! I get to celebrate again!! I have on hand a Vermont Harvest Blend celebrating Fall that I will save for International Coffee Day.

Here's some information:

International Coffee Day is an occasion that is used to promote and celebrate coffee as a beverage, with events now occurring in places across the world. The first official date will be 1 October 2015, as agreed by the International Coffee Organization and will be launched in Milan. This day is also used to promote fair trade coffee and to raise awareness for the plight of the coffee growers. On this day, many businesses offer free or discounted cups of coffee. Some businesses share coupons and special deals with their loyal followers via social networking. Some greeting card companies sell National Coffee Day greeting cards as well as free e-cards.

In March 2014, a decision was taken by the International Coffee Organization to launch the first official International Coffee Day in Milan as part of Expo 2015.

Various events have been held, called Coffee Day or National Coffee Day, with many of these on or around September 29.

The exact origin of International Coffee Day is unknown. An event was first promoted in Japan in 1983 by The All Japan Coffee Association (全日本コーヒー協会). In the United States "National Coffee Day" was mentioned publicly as early as 2005. The name "International Coffee Day" was first used by the Southern Food and Beverage Museum, which called a press conference on October 3, 2009 to celebrate it and to announce the first New Orleans Coffee Festival. It was promoted in China by the International Coffee Organization, first celebrated in 1997, and made into an annual celebration in early April 2001. Taiwan first celebrated International Coffee Day in 2009. Nepal first celebrated National Coffee Day on November 17, 2005. Indonesia, which first celebrated National Coffee Day on August 17, 2006, celebrates it on the same day as Indonesia's Independence Day.

National coffee days

Early April China
May 6 Denmark
May 24 Brazil
June 27 Colombia
September 12 Costa Rica
September 19 Ireland
September 20 Mongolia
September, first Saturday Germany
September 28 Switzerland
September 29 Australia
Canada
Scotland
Belgium
England
Ethiopia
Hungary
India (Chikmagalur, The land of Coffee)
Iceland
Malaysia
México
New Zealand
Norway
South Africa
Sweden
United States
Japan
Austria
Romania
Philippines || Conceived to showcase Lipa City as the longstanding "Coffee Granary of the Philippines".
Taiwan
October 1 Sri Lanka Pakistan

I'm thinking of celebrating them all!! :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: National Coffee Day has gone International

Postby lindawing » September 30th, 2015, 9:16 pm

Wonderful idea! In fact, it's rather chilly in here today, so I do believe I will celebrate both yesterday's National Coffee Day and tomorrow's International Coffee Day with a cup of hot chocolate raspberry coffee! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » September 30th, 2015, 11:20 pm

That sounds wonderful!! :uhhuh: :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 1st, 2015, 8:34 am

I never got it!!! :-( Everything went crazy and I barely even got dinner!!! Wow!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 1st, 2015, 1:12 pm

That's ok - because today is the official day for it and you can have it today!! I've had Seattle's Best Signature Blend #3 this morning and this afternoon plan to have Vermont's Harvest Blend!! :joy:

Oh, and I almost forgot - Eat your Veggies because it is National Veggie Day!! :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 1st, 2015, 10:42 pm

Oh, cool! Judi and I were just talking about how important vegetables are!!! I will definitely have some of those, and my coffee, too!!! Hooray! :hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 1st, 2015, 11:31 pm

I think it is also National Fruit day ... (it should be, if it is not). :yeah: Fruit and Veggies should have their own National Day every day!! :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 2nd, 2015, 12:02 am

Agreed!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » October 2nd, 2015, 2:38 pm

That is a cool fact! For me though, every day is coffee day :rotfl:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 2nd, 2015, 2:58 pm

:evillaugh: Me, too. I drank an extra cup on those days, though .... :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » October 2nd, 2015, 4:37 pm

:evillaugh:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » October 2nd, 2015, 10:35 pm

I need to get some decaf coffee again. I can't have the caffeine all the time. :-(
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » October 2nd, 2015, 11:25 pm

:nolook: :lol: (Sorry, too funny!) Too much coffee talk ... :yeah: :hug-group-2by:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Open Discussion