Leap Seconds

This is a public forum. You may discuss anything here. It's a good place for a "soapbox," but just remember the forum rules, please.

Leap Seconds

Postby Meadow9259 » June 30th, 2015, 12:09 pm

If part of the internet comes down tonight, this is why:

http://www.newser.com/story/208969/toda ... -2012.html
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: Leap Seconds

Postby ukpoppyberry » June 30th, 2015, 7:25 pm

wow...that is seriously weird! Hope it doesn't cause anyone any problems :ohno:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » June 30th, 2015, 8:54 pm

:doh: One second in time ..... :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » June 30th, 2015, 11:23 pm

I highly doubt anything bad will come of that one second, but...I suppose you never know. We shall see!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » June 30th, 2015, 11:39 pm

Agree! But - one second is very popular. Those who ask "Give me a second" will finally get one!!! :joy: :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 1st, 2015, 5:00 am

For sure!!! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » July 1st, 2015, 1:50 pm

I suppose that's true. ;-)

The part about the internet going down is because of the related article they linked, where a bunch of (even major) sites came down for awhile when they added a second in 2012. Maybe they learned from last time and put in some kind of fix to handle leap seconds - or maybe they decided it wsn't going to happen again anytime soon (I think the article mentioned this is only the 4th leap second added in 100 years) and they could ignore it.

At any rate... all my clocks and watches are now 1 second off, I suppose. :yeah: Except the ones that auto-sync to the atomic clock lol.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby MelodyOkie » July 1st, 2015, 2:11 pm

:uhhuh: I was trying to figure out how to add that second to all of my time pieces - but decided I should just forget about it. Although - those seconds do add up over time, I think when they finally become a minute, it will be easier for me to then adjust my clocks ... on "second" thought, I won't live to see that day. :friends:

I forgot to add :evillaugh: (because I'm being facetious) .. :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 1st, 2015, 8:19 pm

None of our regular clocks are ever completely accurate, anyway. They all vary by any number of seconds at any given time--depending on who reset what, when they realized the power had been off at some prior point. :lol:

Our computers are all synched with the atomic clock, and unless the batteries in our computers are going bad, they are all the same. When that second was added, they were all adjusted. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 1st, 2015, 8:32 pm

I just noticed that my watch was at 2:29 when my computer was at 2:30 - but only just for a second!! Now they are both at 2:31! I guess it took me a minute to type this! :uhhuh: :ohoh: :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 1st, 2015, 10:34 pm

Aha!!! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Meadow9259 » July 1st, 2015, 10:50 pm

Lol Melody - maybe those leap seconds are just there to drive us crazy! :evillaugh:

I remember back years and years and years ago (30 some years), we had accurate clocks in our house because my brother and I synched them to the wildfeed (places on satellites where networks air/aired their shows before they show(ed) on regular TV so that their affiliates could record them to rebroadcast locally) countdown clocks (which usually went down to the second) on our C-Band satellite dish (14 or so feet across). That was WAY before anything in the home was able to access the atomic clock.
Meadow9259
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby MelodyOkie » July 1st, 2015, 11:04 pm

Oh, wow! I think we would call time (we used to could do that) and synch by that. Of course, we have computers now, so if something goes haywire or there's an outage, dead battery, or whatever the case may be, we (well I do), just check the time on my computer and synch with that. However - I have the occasional glitch when I bring up my computer that it tells me it's a different day, year and time than what it should show (I then synch the computer to my watch - :evillaugh: ) ; but upon shutting down and bringing it back up the next day, all is well and I assume the time is correct at that point. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 2nd, 2015, 12:55 am

Yes...every once in a while there will be a Microsoft update that seemingly messes up the time clock in a computer. At least that's the only conclusion I've been able to make.

If the computer seems to habitually lose time, it's probably the battery on the motherboard starting to go out. I've had to replace one a couple of times. Generally, though, these days, the batteries last longer than the motherboard itself, the way technology moves on. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 2nd, 2015, 1:31 pm

Neither are what happened. On occasion, when I turn the power on in the mornings, the computer automatically comes up without my touching the button to turn it on. When that happens, the computer does not register the correct anything and I have to shut 'er down and start over. (Mine seems to happen when I've spent too much time with the Sims the day prior (not Sims 4) I had been in Sims 2 for the first time in ages ... ) :evillaugh: :yeah: As a matter of fact - yesterday, after my "Spyware Protection" was updated, even it had an issue with some Sims 2 file resident on my computer and removed it as it was a "High Threat". It was strange... Maybe there's some residue left from the old Sims 2 files and SecuRom? Who knows, but it had nothing to do with Microsoft or a battery issue - that I do know. :uhhuh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Open Discussion