Rain, Rain, Go Away and No, Don't Come Again Another Day

This is a public forum. You may discuss anything here. It's a good place for a "soapbox," but just remember the forum rules, please.

Rain, Rain, Go Away and No, Don't Come Again Another Day

Postby MelodyOkie » May 19th, 2015, 7:30 pm

At least not until we dry out, Please!!
Meanwhile in Texas.jpg
Meanwhile in Texas.jpg (45.48 KiB) Viewed 1120 times

My Daughter and family trapped a 2nd time - they couldn't get in our out of their neighborhood and now the road has been washed out....
Road Washed Out.png
This is not a lake...
Road Washed Out.png (126.42 KiB) Viewed 1118 times
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Rain, Rain, Go Away and No, Don't Come Again Another Day

Postby lindawing » May 19th, 2015, 9:36 pm

OMG! I'm assuming that at least their home is safe, and that it's NOT the ark! If they had a small boat like David does, they could do what he did that one year, up in Washington. Not only he, but quite a few of the neighborhood residents got out to get supplies and check on friends, family, and neighbors by taking their boats out into the streets!

When I went to bed at about 3:30 AM, we were having another thunderstorm...off in the distance a bit, and the wind was still blowing hard.

Today there's a slight breeze, the humidity has dropped quite a lot, and it's a GORGEOUS, bright blue, sunny, lovely, wonderful day!!! Wow!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 19th, 2015, 11:17 pm

We are very greatful that their home is on a bit higher ground - but not too far from those flood waters. It's worrisome because there is a pond behind their house that has crested and is washing mud into their pool ... they don't have much of a back yard as it is. So - they are almost on an island, so to speak. It's been raining again with storms and another tornado East of us and this is supposed to be the story all the way through Memorial Weekend. We can't take on much more water .... :uhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 20th, 2015, 2:19 am

That's so scary!!! Increasing my prayer energies!!! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 20th, 2015, 2:13 pm

I spoke with my Daughter yesterday, because we were hoping to get together for this upcoming Memorial Weekend. Unfortunately, under the circumstances, I'm not sure I will be ready (it will be Friday before I finish my anti-virals) and I still have blisters on my arm and just not up to par yet. Plus our wonderful weather forecast for that whole weekend is Rain, rain, rain and more rain. (sigh) So we've decided not to try to get together for this Memorial Weekend and will plan something after it quits raining ... if it ever does (I may never see my family again ... :ohno:) (I'm exaggerating of course I'll see my family again, one day .... :evillaugh: ) Anyway, she did tell me that they actually fixed their road that had washed out! So that is good news!!
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 20th, 2015, 9:00 pm

I'm really glad to hear that the road has been fixed! Now if the weather would just clear up (and I DON'T mean that the same way it's jokingly said...yeah...clear up to my KNEES!!!). :lol:

Good, too, that you can get together a week later, in regards to the viral situation. Keeping my prayers going about all the situations. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 20th, 2015, 9:34 pm

Thank you! :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 29th, 2015, 10:43 am

Well...I am sure you'll get to see them again, of course you may need to travel by boat! Hoping all is well and that their home didn't flood!
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 29th, 2015, 2:20 pm

Lisa - I guess you missed my post that all was well and they did not have to close 287? Of course I also knew that even if it flooded, it would recede in time and it wasn't that I didn't think I would ever get out of here again. :evillaugh: (I was just kidding about I may never see my Daughter and family again :ohno: - I even said I was exaggerating :evillaugh: ) I just don't like having floods between me and my Daughter where we can't even get to each other if either of us needs the other (if that makes sense)... :evillaugh: (sigh) It is not a good situation, either way - even though we know, of course, it is temporary. However, for those whose homes are destroyed and who has already lost their lives in all of this flooding ... not so temporary .... :uhuh:

Had a severe round of storms overnight through this morning. My Daughter and family are trapped again and the flooding blocking them in is worse than ever.

This is the street (or was) that is the only way in or out. The street was washed out, they fixed it ... but now, I don't know. This is the highest it has been so far and covers even more territory. It also covers the fence that runs along it where her street runs into it ... it is not a good situation. Expecting another round of this tonight through tomorrow.
Flooding in Mansfield.jpg
Flooding in Mansfield.jpg (157.5 KiB) Viewed 1107 times

We've not heard about our dam this morning and how it is holding up after this round of storms. No news is good news.

And we are supposed to start drying out next week. So maybe we will finally be able to have our weekend with my Daughter and family the first weekend in June! It's hard to believe that they have been flooded every weekend for a whole month now and each time worse than the time before!! We will definitely be looking forward to seeing them, finally!! :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 29th, 2015, 9:43 pm

I hope you've been able to get out to get some groceries, too, Melody, and I hope your daughter has supplies on hand. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 29th, 2015, 10:06 pm

Oh, yes, we have - but as always, I've forgotten some things that I really needed! Ever since we've moved here and getting to the store is such an ordeal and so far away ... I do that, I forget. Good thing we don't live in Alaska, huh?

My Daughter had stocked up some weeks ago, knowing what the situation was; however ... they've really not had an opportunity to replenish what they need. Every time they have an opportunity to go - they can't get out because of the flood waters. :uhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 30th, 2015, 2:36 am

What about work? It's really terrible if work has been possible during the week then the road impassable on the weekends!!! Sheesh!

We have the same thing here, with being far away from a good market. With David working, he can stop at the little store in Wilmot, though things are very expensive there. He'll only be working until the end of July, though. We'll be closer to Wilmot at the new place, and still only about 7 miles from Milbank. Judi got us a Costco card, and she'll be doing most of our main shopping up in Fargo, where there's also a Sam's Club and a Wal-Mart. From the farm, it's about 10 miles closer to us than Sioux Falls is. There's a Wal-Mart in Watertown, but Judi says she'd rather shop where she can also go to the Hobby Lobby for her jewelry supplies if necessary. There's also a great local supermarket in Sisseton, which is only about 45 minutes away from the farm. There's also Milbank, which will be about 15 miles from us (not much different than it is right now, because you turn off the main highway earlier).

Anyway...yeah...shopping takes planning, to be sure! After six years, I still miss things on the weekly lists...sigh.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 30th, 2015, 2:26 pm

:evillaugh: Unfortunately, that is exactly what has happened over this entire month of May. They were flooded in every weekend - and it would be drained off, though, for work and school on Monday. Until this week. The pouring rains flooded them overnight on Thursday and they could not get to work or school yesterday. It was terrible because Cheryl is over the Department and helped plan a retirement party for her Mentor that was taking place yesterday. She had the gift from the Department in her car. She was so stressed out and upset about it, but luckily the road drained in the afternoon and she was able to get there in time for the function. Now we have had more flooding rains this morning and they are once again flooded in... (sigh)
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 30th, 2015, 10:55 pm

Oh, wow! I'm glad she was able to get there with the gift, for the event!!!

I was just looking at the radar, and it LOOKS like the wet stuff is probably over for both of us, at least for a little while. Whew! The lakes and the east coast are getting what we've been through, though, for probably at least the next week. That front just seems to keep on going!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 31st, 2015, 12:23 am

lindawing wrote:I was just looking at the radar, and it LOOKS like the wet stuff is probably over for both of us, at least for a little while. Whew! The lakes and the east coast are getting what we've been through, though, for probably at least the next week. That front just seems to keep on going!!!

MelodyOkie wrote:: And we are supposed to start drying out next week. :yeah:

Exactly.... We have definitely been looking forward to this last round of storms. We have a week of sunshine and drying out to look forward to!! Believe me, when I say that we watch the weather like hawks around here ... I think once you've been through a tornado - we know what the weather forecast is at all times. :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Open Discussion