Country Quotes

This is a public forum where you may publish funny things to make others laugh. Please remember we are a family-oriented group. Also, please remember copyright rules. Thanks!

Country Quotes

Postby lindawing » April 27th, 2016, 11:46 pm

All of these quotes were published on a pad of very nice notepaper, to be sent out in epistles to friends with whom one would communicate...years ago. ;-) My mom had the pad of paper, had used several pieces, and had archived the rest, presumably because she couldn't bear to part with the sayings. :grin:

So...I have now cut the sheets into appropriate desktop notepaper size, and plan to use them up (as I've been doing for the past couple of years, with all of Mom's accumulated stuff like this).

Before beginning to use the stack, however, I decided to share the bits and pieces of country wisdom with you all. Most of it is very tongue-in-cheek, so be ready for a giggle or two.

NOTE: Yes...all of this is copyrighted somewhere, but I will be giving credit to each author as was done on the notepad. I doubt that anyone will complain. If so, I'll pull it. ;-)

* These are the ones that caught my attention and made me laugh the hardest, given the fact that we "bought the farm" just short of a year ago. :rotfl:

! This one reminded me of Minecraft (at least with the use of my Soartex_Fanver resource pack). :uhhuh:

- * - * - * - * -

The country is lyric...the town dramatic. When mingled, they make the most perfect musical drama.
--Henry Wadsworth Longfellow (1807-1882) [American Poet]

Nobody tries to make the coyotes act like beavers or the eagles behave like robins.
--Wakling Buffalo (1871-1967) [Canadian Stoney Indian]

* Outside of a spring lamb trotting into a slaughterhouse, there is nothing in the animal kingdom as innocent and foredoomed as the new purchaser of a country place.
--S. J. Perelman (1904-1979) [American Humorist]

* I like a man who likes to see a fine barn as well as a good tragedy.
--Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803-1882) [American Essayist & Poet]

* They were just like all the people that they were trying to get away from, except that in the country they had allowed their personalities to expand.
--John P. Marquand (1896-1960) [American Writer]

* A man who owns land and lives on it eventually creates his own self-portrait in the fields.
--Vance Bourjaily (b. 1922) [American Writer]

* Farming is about 20% agriculture and 80% mending something that has got busted.
--E. B. White (b.1899) [American Humorist & Author]

* To enjoy living in the country requires the mind of a philosopher, the feeling of an artist, the soul of a poet...and a good station wagon.
--Evan Esar (b. 1899) [American Humorist]

...Man's need of land is not only for food and shelter but equally for occasional solitude.
--Rachel Peden (b. 1937) [American Author]

My grandfather on my father's side arose in the dark, arrived in the fields before light, and dozed on the plow handles until it was light enough to work. It was a habit he was never disciplined enough to break. When he was well into his seventies, he was still getting up before daybreak, sitting around on imaginary plowshares, and looking for some new ground to work.
--John Baskin (b. 1941) [American Writer]

The woodchopper, by using the force of gravity, lets the planet chop his stick.

* A farm is a place of opportunity simultaneous with obligation.

It was time to leave New York and return to civilization. It was time to move back to the country.
--Michael Harwood and Mary Durant (b. 1938; b. 1941) [American Authors]

* The wind was blowing, but not too hard, and everyone was so happy and gay for it was only 20 degrees below zero (F.) and the sun shone.
--Laura Ingalls Wilder (1896-1957) [american Writer]

* One day in the country is worth a month in town.
--Christina Georgina Rossetti (1830-1894) [English Poetess]

* Five crows, frock-coated in dignity, have arrived and sit upright and still in a bough. One thinks, "Oh, beloved symbols of New England," or, "Drat those birds!" depending on whether one is planning a poem or a cornfield.
--Richard F. Merrifield (b. 1905) [American Writer]

I believe the first receipt {recipe} to farm well is to be rich.
--Sydney Smith (1771-1845) [English Clergyman & Author]

Until I moved to the mountains, the coming of spring had been a gradual and painless thing, like developing a bust.
--Betty MacDonald (1908-1958) [American Author]

"Had a big windstorm here yesterday," said the forlorn native of Western Kansas to the solicitous traveler, "that blew away my house, my wife, and my three children." "That's terrible! But why aren't you out looking for them?" "No use to look for them. Wind'll change next week and they'll come back."
--B. A. Botkin (1901-1975) [Folklore Compiler]

* Farming is a very fine thing, because you get such an unmistakable answer as to whether you are making a fool of yourself, or hitting the mark.
--Goethe (1749-1832) [German Poet]

In the long history of man, all of us Americans are but a moment removed from the plains, the mountains, the rivers, the farms, the villages--and from our own frontier.
--The National Geographic Society (founded 1888)

* God made the country, and man made the town.
--William Cowper (1731-1800) [British Poet]

! The land dripped with richness, the fat cows and pigs gleaming against green, and, in the smaller holdings, corn standing in little tents as corn should, and pumpkins all about.
--John Steinbeck (1902-1968) [American Author]

Most of the handbooks of coutnry living are written by flabby men at the Waldorf-Astoria, who lie in bed and dictate them to secretaries.
--S. J. Perelman (1904-1979) [American Humorist]

Liked the rural life, too, although Dad got struck by lightning in the north forty and for six years afterwards when asked his name could only say the word "Kleenex."
--Woody Allen (b.1935) [American Author, Playwright, & Comedian]

Command large fields, but cultivate small ones.
--Virgil (170 BC-19 BC) [Roman Poet]

The mountains are all right, I guess, but they sure do block the view.
--Peter Berglund (b. 1912) [Retired Saskatchewan Farmer]

A wild bird in a thicket and a man in a house cannot be neighbors.
--Henry Bettle Hough (b. 1896) [American Editor]

There's nothin' better in the world than gettin' up before daylight and goin' and seein' the sun come up...nothin' better than bein' in the field when the sun comes down, comin' in by the light of the tractor every night.
--Studs Terkel (b. 1912) [American Author & Interviewer]

* Ten years ago the deficit on my farm was about $100, but by well-designed capital expenditure, by drainage, and by greater attention to details, I have got it into the thousands.
--Stephen Leacock (1869-1944) [Canadian Essayist & Humorist]

In the country, sunday is the day on which you do exactly as much work as you do on other days, but you feel guilty all of the time you are doing it, because it is a day of rest.
--Betty MacDonald (1908-1958) [American Author]

* You can shave a peg to save a nickle and ruin a 50-cent jackknife.
--Arthur Litteer (1904-1973) [Dairy Farmer]

One morning we ran into a neighbor at the store and she asked brightly, "What was it at your house?" "14 below," we replied. Her face fell. "We had -12," she said, and you could see that her day was ruined.
--Richard Ketchum (b. 1922) [American Writer]

By December, the valley people are really dug in for winter. Wood is piled high in sheds, cabbages and pots are binned in the cellars, and squash and apples are stored.
--Gladys Taber (1899-1980) [American Author]

There was nothing else to see bu the endless low white land and the huge pale sky, and the horses' blue shadows blotting the sparkle from the snow.
--Laura Ingalls Wilder (1867-1957) [American Writer]

* If one is not in a hurry, even an egg will start walking.
--Ethiopian Proverb

* I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
--Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) [American Author & Philosopher]

* The everlasting appeal of a sparkling stream and a bamboo pole is not confined to small boys playing hooky.
--Marjorie Blanchard (b. 1946) [American Writer]

* The best part of living in the country is the people you don't meet.
--Evan Essar (b. 1899) [American Humorist]

The number of pigs dying of heart ailments has doubled in recent years. Apparently the stress of adjusting to modern farming methods is too much for them.
--German Research Society

The history of a nation is only the history of its villages...written large.
--Woodrow Wilson (1856-1924) [American President]

We have learned to be chary of roads; they mean people, and commotion, and lack of peace.
--Herbert Jacobs (b. 1903) [American Writer]

* We found that a very old house in the country does not encourage sitting under blossoming apple trees and sipping tall cool drinks, or strolling among the wildflowers in the woods. When we were in the yard, we were mowing, or planting roses by the picket fence, or trimming the lilacs.
--Gladys Taber (1899-1980) [American Writer]

* A good farmer is nothing more nor less than a handyman with a sense of humus.
--E. B. White (b. 1899) [American Author & Humorist]

If you are afraid of blood, sweat, and tears, a constant pain in your sacro-iliac, athlete's foot, poison ivy, and 3:00 AM rising, better stick to the city, my friend. If you're not afraid of all these things, better stick to the city anyway!
--Robert Benchley (1899-1945) [American Humorist]

Every man looks at his woodpile with a kind of affection.
--Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862) [American Writer]

Even if a farmer intends to loaf, he gets up in time to get an early start.
--E. W. Howe (1853-1937) [American Publisher & Wrter]

* When village begins, other arts follow. The farmers, therefore, are the founders of human civilization.
--Daniel Webster (1782-1852) [American Statesman]

Many eyes go through the meadow, but few see the flowers in it.

The farther we get away from the land, the greater our insecurity.
--Henry Ford (1863-1947) [American Automobile Manufacturer]

One swallow, so we say, doesn't make a spring. But a dozen of them--with a few robins in for good measure--certainly do.
--John Burroughs (1837-1921) [American Nature Writer]

No man ever really owns the land; it belongs to itself, an a farmer should regard it with more of humility than a sense of ownership.

A blizzard is a beautiful thing. As the drifts pile up, topping the picket fence, I can see from my window the meadow brimmed with silver.
--Gladys Taber (1899-1980) [American Author]

I just want to live where I can stretch my arms without hitting someone else in the face.
--The National Geographic Society (founded 1888)

I was raised on the farm. My mother said that milking cows would make my fingers strong for playing the piano.
--Marla Stutz (b. 1943) [Country Dweller]

I must say that one cause of the sad fact why idiocy more prevails among farms than any other class of people, is owing to their undertaking the mending of rotten rail-fences in warm, relaxing spring weather.
--Herman Melville (1819-1891) [American Novelist]

Worm or beetle...drought or tempest...on a farmer's land may fall. Each is loaded full o' ruin, but a mortgage beats 'em all.
--Will Carleton (1845-1912) [American Poet]

To a person uninstructed in natural history, his country or seaside stroll is a wlk through a gallery filled with wonderful works of art--9/10 of which have their faces turned to the wall.
--Thomas Buckley (1825-1895) [English Biologist]
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Country Quotes

Postby MelodyOkie » April 28th, 2016, 7:43 pm

:evillaugh: Endearing ...
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Country Quotes

Postby lindawing » April 29th, 2016, 3:03 am