Basements 2 -- (Sims 3 Style) Tutorial

We all need help figuring things out in our games occasionally. You may either request help or post helpful topics here.

Basements 2 -- (Sims 3 Style) Tutorial

Postby lindawing » February 16th, 2014, 1:30 am

Basement 2--TS3 Style (Simple Version)

The basement tool in TS3 is found in the build catalog, to the left of the business category. That's what we'll use to create this basement.

Since this is the simple version, we will NOT use a foundation. Here, I've added a 10x10 square of regular walls, though you can actually make basements with nothing above them. In this case, I wanted to build a little house above the basement, though. I didn't have to start with the walls. I could have started with the basement. Knowing where the walls are going to be, though, makes it easier to spot where to put the basement, as you'll find, when you begin using the tool.
B2-Simple-A.jpg
Simple A
B2-Simple-A.jpg (271.25 KiB) Viewed 436 times

For this house, I wanted the basement to be exactly the same size as the upper part of the house...at least that's the way I started. As you'll see in the advanced version, I veered from that course, eventually.
B2-Simple-B.jpg
Simple B
B2-Simple-B.jpg (313.14 KiB) Viewed 436 times

You use the basement tool the same way you use the pool tool. I've drawn my basement exactly to the same size and shape of my upper house. Once you let go of the tool, as long as you are in build mode, you'll see the blue area that means a basement has, indeed, been created, underground.
B2-Simple-C.jpg
Simple C
B2-Simple-C.jpg (286.92 KiB) Viewed 436 times

Going down a level, you can see the default basement. It has a pebbled floor, and unfinished walls. At first you can see the grid, but that goes away.
B2-Simple-D.jpg
Simple D
B2-Simple-D.jpg (165.18 KiB) Viewed 436 times

It won't matter if you have your walls set above or not, you will be able to place your stairs in the basement. If you have problems, then the land above is probably not quite level, and you should go and take care of that. You can do it after the basement is placed. It will be OK. As you can see, the grid has gone away, as I've begun to do things to the basement. Now all that can be seen is the basement itself...sort of hanging down in "space."
B2-Simple-E.jpg
Simple E
B2-Simple-E.jpg (88.41 KiB) Viewed 436 times

Above, I've added a wood floor, and am now looking down to where the stairs head into the basement.
B2-Simple-F.jpg
Simple F
B2-Simple-F.jpg (64.5 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Then I added a door, a window, and a roof.
B2-Simple-G.jpg
Simple G
B2-Simple-G.jpg (259.58 KiB) Viewed 435 times

That's it for the simple version. Your Sims can get into the house, and they can go downstairs into the basement. It really is just that simple. What a breeze!!!

Next, I'll show you how to do something that EA says can't be done. They say it's impossible to make a working basement under a foundation. HAH!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Basements 2 -- (Sims 3 Style) Tutorial

Postby lindawing » February 16th, 2014, 2:10 am

Basement 2--TS3 Style (Advanced Version)

Before I show you how to make a working basement under a foundation, I want to show you that you CANNOT make daylight windows and cellar doors to these basements...at least not in the same way you can with the TS2-type of basements.

After my basement was in from the above tutorial, I put in a flight of modular stairs four grid squares away from the wall. As you can see by this next picture, there is no way I was going to be able to go deeper, from that point, and I never would be able to approach that basement wall.
The attachment B2-Advanced-A.jpg is no longer available

So I started over, to show you that even if you dig first, you won't be able to place a TS3 basement right up next to a hole in the ground. It's faint, but you should be able to see the RED square I drew, above ground, close to the stairs. Red means, "Uh uh! Nope! It ain't gonna happen!"
B2-Advanced-A.jpg
Advanced A
B2-Advanced-A.jpg (312.68 KiB) Viewed 435 times

If I backed off one grid square, I could draw out the basement, but obviously that was going to leave some dirt climbing up the basement wall.
B2-Advanced-B.jpg
Advanced B
B2-Advanced-B.jpg (379.37 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Yup. That's exactly what happened.
B2-Advanced-D.jpg
Advanced D
B2-Advanced-D.jpg (369.97 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Then I tried to level the land, so you could see that that dirt is never going to move away from that underground basement.
B2-Advanced-E.jpg
Advanced E
B2-Advanced-E.jpg (418.43 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Now that it's been established that there's no way we can get into that basement by the exterior by the TS2 method, I'll move on to showing you how to have your foundation and your basement, too!
You must NOT put your foundation on first, or you will NEVER be able to get stairs from the basement up to the ground level. That's the main rule, right there. Start with the basement.

Here, I've drawn out another 10x10 square, using the basement tool.
B2-Advanced-F.jpg
Advanced F
B2-Advanced-F.jpg (327.22 KiB) Viewed 435 times

While still holding the tool, I can see that the basement did, indeed, get placed.
B2-Advanced-G.jpg
Advanced G
B2-Advanced-G.jpg (298.37 KiB) Viewed 435 times

Yes. It's down there, and I can definitely add stairs right now.
B2-Advanced-H.jpg
Advanced H
B2-Advanced-H.jpg (70.01 KiB) Viewed 435 times

There they are, all placed.
B2-Advanced-I.jpg
Advanced I
B2-Advanced-I.jpg (70.84 KiB) Viewed 435 times

I drew out my foundation over the top of the stairs, which worked fine. If I'd wanted these stairs to be fully inside the basement, and fully inside the house, though, I'd have either had to make the house wider than the basement (which would have been OK), or I would have had to move my stairs over at least one grid square, so that the wall would have gone in beside the stair well.
B2-Advanced-J.jpg
Advanced J
B2-Advanced-J.jpg (281.3 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Instead, I wanted to show you how to make exterior cellar stairs using the TS3 basement tool (this could be done either with or without a foundation, by the way). So I deleted the two squares of foundation at the head of the basement stairs, to start the process.
B2-Advanced-K.jpg
Advanced K
B2-Advanced-K.jpg (309.88 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Then I also deleted the same two squares of basement. To do that, you can use the sledgehammer, or use the basement tool up at the surface, combined with the option key (just like you could also delete the foundation or a pool that way). The sledgehammer is by far the easiest way to do this, however.
B2-Advanced-L.jpg
Advanced L
B2-Advanced-L.jpg (69.25 KiB) Viewed 434 times

While I was down below, I added bricks to my outer basement wall, put in a wood floor instead of the default floor, and painted the walls white (there's no light yet, so you can't see that very well).
B2-Advanced-M.jpg
Advanced M
B2-Advanced-M.jpg (55.37 KiB) Viewed 434 times

At ground level again, you can see that the cellar stairs come out outside of the foundation. I painted the foundation the same brick texture as the outer walls of the basement.
B2-Advanced-N.jpg
Advanced N
B2-Advanced-N.jpg (310.17 KiB) Viewed 434 times

After adding some lights in the basement, I added an inner wall to keep the stairwell weatherproof it will actually snow on the stairs, but the basement itself will be protected). When I added the wall, I noticed that (as often happens), the edge of the stairway protruded through the wall. That can be fixed.
B2-Advanced-O.jpg
Advanced O
B2-Advanced-O.jpg (172.07 KiB) Viewed 434 times

All you do is delete the stairs, then UNDO. Voila! the line goes away, and you have a nice, smooth wall once again.
B2-Advanced-P.jpg
Advanced P
B2-Advanced-P.jpg (171.04 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Top down view.
B2-Advanced-Q.jpg
Advanced Q
B2-Advanced-Q.jpg (70.34 KiB) Viewed 434 times

OK...our Sims could now go down into the basement. Technically speaking, though, this entrance is not under a foundation. So...how do we get an interior flight of stairs? Obviously we can't do it with the foundation covering the basement. The game will absolutely NOT let us do that. We have to trick it!
B2-Advanced-R.jpg
Advanced R
B2-Advanced-R.jpg (167.25 KiB) Viewed 434 times

I forgot to get a picture between that last shot and this one, but what I did was COMPLETELY REMOVE THE FOUNDATION! You must remove at least the part of the foundation that covers ANY PART of the basement where you want your stairs to go.

Once that foundation was removed, the stairs were able to be placed. Notice that I placed them a grid space away from the basement wall, to make it easier to add walls up above, and to work with the foundation part of the stairwell.
B2-Advanced-S.jpg
Advanced S
B2-Advanced-S.jpg (73.29 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Ta da! You are probably thinking, "So...now there's no foundation! Remember, though, that we were able to pull a foundation over the OTHER stairs? Aha!
B2-Advanced-T.jpg
Advanced T
B2-Advanced-T.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 434 times

Back on the surface, I started drawing my foundation from where I knew I had started the original basement's first corner (even though that corner was now gone, in the basement.
B2-Advanced-U.jpg
Advanced U
B2-Advanced-U.jpg (342.48 KiB) Viewed 432 times

I didn't worry about that corner that I'll have to remove again. I just drew out the whole 10x10 square. As you can see, the foundation goes right on, even though you may see the warning that foundations can't interact with existing objects. The tool automatically leaves the proper holes for the stairways.
B2-Advanced-V.jpg
Advanced V
B2-Advanced-V.jpg (314.3 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Here's what it looked like between the foundation and the ground level, with both sets of stairs leading down into the basement. I added the wood floor, just to lighten things up in that space.
B2-Advanced-W.jpg
Advanced W
B2-Advanced-W.jpg (336.33 KiB) Viewed 432 times

I added the brick texture around the sides, and the wood floor up on top.
B2-Advanced-X.jpg
Advanced X
B2-Advanced-X.jpg (324.35 KiB) Viewed 432 times

OK! Now comes the fun part. Our Sims need to be able to get up to the foundation, first of all. So I constructed this part. I deleted a 2x2 square of the foundation, added a double set flight of stairs, added a wooden sidewalk, and bordered that and the side of the exterior cellar stairs with the same short fence I used before.
B2-Advanced-Y.jpg
Advanced Y
B2-Advanced-Y.jpg (271.52 KiB) Viewed 432 times

You may have noticed that the foundation left only a single hole when placing itself around the interior cellar stairs. That hole contained the landing, but there was no way for our Sims to get TO that landing.

I chose to make an L-shaped flight of stairs, by removing one more piece of the foundation, as shown here.
B2-Advanced-Z.jpg
Advanced Z
B2-Advanced-Z.jpg (329.21 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Then I placed a small flight of the same stairs I've been using.
B2-Advanced-Za.jpg
Advanced Za
B2-Advanced-Za.jpg (331.49 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Done! Notice that it's quite dark for those few steps, but I remedied that (sort of) in a few minutes.
B2-Advanced-Zb.jpg
Advanced Zb
B2-Advanced-Zb.jpg (317.97 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Floor light (don't worry...I didn't leave it right there...just wanted to show you what light I used). Before the next step, I used the "moveobjects on" cheat.
B2-Advanced-Zc.jpg
Advanced Zc
B2-Advanced-Zc.jpg (340.83 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Then I placed the light underneath that short flight leading down from the first floor, through the foundation, to the top landing of the basement stairs. NOTE: Do not EVER remove the barrier to the stairs that you place like that, because your Sims will think they can wander away onto that level, which is a crawl space only, and your Sims will get stuck there! Also, in most cases, it's probably better to make your stairs that go through foundations, at least two flights wide. I didn't think of that when i was making this. It helps Sims to negotiate the special stairway, if they have a little more room. In a pinch, though, this set would work, though a Sim might get stuck once in a while.
B2-Advanced-Zd.jpg
Advanced Zd
B2-Advanced-Zd.jpg (340.79 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Looking down.
B2-Advanced-Ze.jpg
Advanced Ze
B2-Advanced-Ze.jpg (372.68 KiB) Viewed 432 times

I began to close in the upper walls, and realized I'd rather not have that convoluted shape.
B2-Advanced-Zf.jpg
Advanced Zf
B2-Advanced-Zf.jpg (305.6 KiB) Viewed 432 times

I closed in the walls in a rectangle, instead, which left part of the foundation sticking out. I removed those four squares of foundation...
B2-Advanced-Zg.jpg
Advanced Zg
B2-Advanced-Zg.jpg (322.56 KiB) Viewed 432 times

...which left four squares of floor tile showing, above the exterior cellar stairs area (part of the original basement, if you remember).
B2-Advanced-Zh.jpg
Advanced Zh
B2-Advanced-Zh.jpg (321.98 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Closeup of the result--looking insde the foundation, but down to the cellar door, with...a window by it!
B2-Advanced-Zi.jpg
Advanced Zi
B2-Advanced-Zi.jpg (312.73 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Actually, I ended up placing three windows in that wall. As with the other method, the windows don't let in much light, but that's OK. It's for the look of it mainly. I've added plenty of basement lighting to make up for the darkness.
B2-Advanced-Zj.jpg
Advanced Zj
B2-Advanced-Zj.jpg (222.57 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Looking out.
B2-Advanced-Zk.jpg
Advanced Zk
B2-Advanced-Zk.jpg (227.56 KiB) Viewed 432 times

Another exterior view.
B2-Advanced-Zl.jpg
Advanced Zl
B2-Advanced-Zl.jpg (288.09 KiB) Viewed 432 times

There you have it! See? Even in TS3, you can have your basement and your foundation, too! Woohoo!

You just need to remember that in the TS2 style of building a basement, you access the basement area from the sunken ground at the side of the basement. In the TS3 style of adding a basement, you have to remember that the only access you will have, is from a basement area that is not directly underneath the house itself.

Using this method, you can actually place a maze of tunnels from one part of the lot, with a stairwell leading to the first part, then the maze finally comes out in the main basement.

This is exactly how the tombs and caves are made for the TS3 Adventure worlds.
B2-Advanced-Zm.jpg
Advanced Zm
B2-Advanced-Zm.jpg (245.39 KiB) Viewed 432 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » February 16th, 2014, 3:48 am

Woot! Thank you very much for doing all the copying and pasting to get this over here, Patty!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MamaLambNC » February 16th, 2014, 4:00 am

I'm still working on it! It's a beast!!
Loving Helpmeet To: Bryan (40 yrs.)
Proud Mama To: BJ - 36, Angel - 32, Kathy - 28, & Shaun - 25
Caring Grandmother To: Rafael - 9, Nadya - 7, Bruce - 4 & Brooklyn - Newborn
MamaLambNC
Administrator
Administrator