A Clean Global Layer for a CaW World

We all need help figuring things out in our games occasionally. You may either request help or post helpful topics here.

A Clean Global Layer for a CaW World

Postby lindawing » June 11th, 2014, 6:53 am

The first thing you should always do when you create a new world in Create-a-World (CaW), is to go here:

My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 3 Create A World Tool/UserToolData/Worlds

You'll see three files that are related to your new world:

(1) a folder that uses the name you just gave your new world;
(2) a settings file for your new world; and
(3) your actual world file.

Open the folder. Inside, there are two other folders. Open the Layers folder. In there, you'll find a file that starts with GlobalLayer_, with a bunch of letters and numbers after that, before the .layer extension. Copy that file, and paste it into a folder that's in a safe place, and name the folder appropriately to tell you that's where you put a copy of the clean global layer for your new world.

You should also write down, somewhere, what height map you used to initiate your world. You'll need that information if you need to make a NEW clean global layer at any time.

If you didn't copy your clean global layer and save a copy somewhere when you made your new world, and you have been working on your world for a while, and if you have used Edit-in-Game (EiG), your global layer for your new world has probably gotten pretty cluttered. The files kept in there can mess up your world when it's exported and made into a .Sims3Pack file, so you should always have a clean global layer file to copy into your world's layers, just before you export.
CGL-ClutteredGlobalLayer.png
CGL-ClutteredGlobalLayer.png (36.45 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

Here's how to get a clean global layer if you didn't save one (as shown above) initially.

(1) Download the XVI32 Hex Editor here:
http://www.chmaas.handshake.de/delphi/f ... /xvi32.htm

Unzip it to a folder wherever you want. It doesn't need to be installed. You'll just be using the .exe file that's contained in the .zip.

(2) If you don't have S3PE, download it here:
http://www.den.simlogical.com/denforum/ ... opic=189.0

Install it, then open it. Using the Settings/External Programs tab, associate the XVI32 hex editor. Close S3PE.

(3) BACK UP THE WORLD THAT NEEDS A NEW GLOBAL LAYER--be sure to copy the folder, the settings, and the .world file to a safe place.

(4) Go into CaW and create a new world using the same height map you used with your other world (see why you needed to write that down?). Name the new world anything you want...Cleanup might be a good name. Close CaW.
CGL-WorldsList-CleanupWorld.png
CGL-WorldsList-CleanupWorld.png (133.55 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

NOTE: As you can see in that picture, I saved my new world as Cleanup-300SmallFlat, so that if I ever need to clean up a global layer for that same size world, I will already have a file I can use for the process.

(5) Go into S3PE and open your Cleanup world.

(6) Click on the column heading "Type," so that all of the 0x00... numbers come up first. Then scroll down and look for the file named 0x0498DA7E (It says UNKNOWN in the Tag column).
CGL-S3PE-CleanupWorld-0x0498DA7ELine.png
CGL-S3PE-CleanupWorld-0x0498DA7ELine.png (112.16 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

(7) Right-Click on that line, and from the pop-up menu, choose Hex Editor. When the editor opens up, write down the numbers that are in the grid. Remember...there are no capital letter Os...there are only zeros (0). That's important for when you have to re-use these numbers.
CGL-S3PE-CleanupWorld-0x0498DA7ELine-HexEditor.png
CGL-S3PE-CleanupWorld-0x0498DA7ELine-HexEditor.png (179.58 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

(8) Close the Hex Editor, then Close S3PE.

(9) Go to your Worlds folder and open the Cleanup world's folder, then open the Layers folder. You'll see ONLY the global layer file in there. COPY that.

(10) Go back to the Worlds folder and open your original worlds' folder, then open the Layers folder. DELETE the existing global layer file, then PASTE the file you just copied from the Cleanup world. Don't worry that the number at the end doesn't match the other layer numbers.
CGL-CleanupGolbalLayerPastedIntoOriginalLayersFolder.png
CGL-CleanupGolbalLayerPastedIntoOriginalLayersFolder.png (109.69 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

(11) That new global layer now needs to be associated with your original world. Open S3PE again, open your original world, and find the 0x0498DA73 line again. Open it in the Hex Editor. You'll see a different number there, than you saw before (because it's showing the number from the original world).
CGL-S3PE-OriginalWorld-0x0498DA7ELine.png
CGL-S3PE-OriginalWorld-0x0498DA7ELine.png (123.83 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

CGL-S3PE-OriginalWorld-0x0498DA7ELine-HexEditor.png
CGL-S3PE-OriginalWorld-0x0498DA7ELine-HexEditor.png (161.43 KiB) Viewed 1092 times

(12) Type the numbers you wrote down (the ones from the Cleanup world), over the numbers that show in the new grid. Using the Hex Editor's File menu, Save. Then quit the Hex Editor.

(13) S3PE will pop up a question asking if you want to commit to saving the new number. Click Yes.

(14) You'll now see two of the 0x0498DA73 lines. One is crossed out. The other one is your new one, which will be your new clean global layer.

(15) in the S3PE File menu, click Save, and once that's done, quit S3PE.

(16) Open CaW and open your original world (for which you just cleaned the global layer). When it's open, click on the global layer to open it. You'll find that it has nothing listed in it. Woot!

(17) Save the world and quit CaW.

(18) Backup all three parts of the world (the folder, the settings, and the .world file) to a safe place. Then also make a separate copy of the global layer file from the Layers folder (as I told how at the start of this tutorial).

After you've completed all this, you can continue to build your world as before. Just remember to check to see if your global layer is still clean, before you export to make a new .Sims3Pack file. If it's not clean, backup all of your CaW files for the world, then delete the existing global layer from the Layers folder, then copy your clean global layer and paste it into the Layers folder. Then export your world.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Clean Global Layer for a CaW World

Postby SeriphinaFyie » June 11th, 2014, 1:47 pm

This is great! :joy:
SeriphinaFyie
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby psychedelicsim » June 11th, 2014, 3:21 pm

Thank you, Linda! :-)
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » June 11th, 2014, 9:44 pm

Most welcome! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby SeriphinaFyie » June 12th, 2014, 4:41 pm

It worked like a charm! Over 1200 items in the global layer, now it's a big fat 0!! Thank you thank you thank you! :joy:
SeriphinaFyie
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » June 13th, 2014, 6:50 am

:hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » January 11th, 2016, 6:35 pm

It seems ultra complicated to me, but then I've never created my own world. Thanks to the talents of you, Linda and Carrie, I've really not needed to. However, I have recently been dlg all my creations, pics and files to a safe spot on my desktop with re-creating everything for Sims 4 in mind, however, being overwhelmed at just how much I actually created for Sims 3. Also, doing this, it is made me miss Sims 3 so much and wanting to go in and spend my time with Sims 3 rather than Sims 4. I've also always wanted to create my own world. With that being said, I will print these instructions along with other's you've done, Linda and think about it - probably for a long while, since I really don't have time right now to do much of anything.

Questions pertaining to what Origin has done with our Sims 3 and how does that affect everything.

Going into Sims 3 - which takes forever and a day, there is an advisory to only play a couple of your packs at a time. This of course, obviously, causes problems with content. Almost everything we've created includes content from every pack - so when you take their advise, of course, content is missing, etc., etc., etc. Origin, just may have ruined Sims 3 for us and made it basically, unplayable as it is. Not to mention the fact that you must now be on-line in order to play it at all. Which brings me to the fact that Origin still does not recognize that I was split during their original conversion - they never combined my accounts, so one of my accounts has the 1st half of the packs and the other account has the last half of the packs. This presents the ongoing problem that Origin wants me to re-purchase packs I already have. (sigh)

This may not be worth trying to go back to Sims 3 at all. :rolleyes:

But, it might be good to know - how does what Origin has done affect creating worlds?
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » January 11th, 2016, 11:20 pm

Laughing (about the thinking about it for a good long while) and sighing (about the twin entities you have).

That shouldn't affect CaW, because your game does pick up all the stuff, if I'm remembering correctly. There are some things in the packs of different types that add into CaW, for instance when you are making fencelines, docks, adding plants, and stuff like that. Terrain paints change with the addition of packs a few times. So as long as the stuff shows up in the menus for adding stuff like that, the ID entitites shouldn't make any difference at all. Also, you won't start it through Origin, as far as I know. I haven't tried, since that big change, but I think it still works as before...may not be the case...I should try it, I suppose.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » January 11th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Me too ... :doh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS3 Tutorials, Tips, Tricks, & Help