Horsies -- Started by Faithy

This is a public forum. Multiplayer games are great fun, but not everyone can be online at the same time, and many times we just end up playing by ourselves, anyway, using bandwidth, and paying for a server. We have decided to try doing some Round-Robin games, to see how it might work out. Take a look to see what we've come up with. Anyone may add one, at any time.

Horsies -- Started by Faithy

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 10th, 2014, 12:04 am

I decided to start a challenge map of my own. I called it Horsies. Can you guess why?

I landed at spawn and started looking around and almost immediately ran into this small plains area with lots of horses. So they had me and I decided that this was the perfect place to build our warehouse.

I built a two-story warehouse with the storage on the first floor and the bed and start/inventory chests on the second floor. The second floor also has a balcony so you can go out and enjoy the lovely views.

I created the map using biome level 3, so the biomes are a little bit smaller than normal. I didn't really look around much, but I did see several different biomes within a very short distance.

Also, there are pigs, sheep, chickens, more horses and even donkeys within 50 to 100 blocks of the warehouse. Haven't seen any cows yet, but again, I didn't really get a chance to look around.

I built everything in survival mode, so at first, food was a problem. I managed to kill a spider my first night and it gave me 2 pieces of string, so I made a fishing rod. Caught some fish, but lots of other stuff (2 trip wires, a bowl, 2 enchanted books, bones, and leather). Actually, I caught enough leather to earn the "cow tipper" achievement without ever seeing a cow. :rotfl:

There are lots of trees around so I didn't have any trouble getting enough wood to build things or make chests and signs, so we have those. I've already started labeling things in the storage area, but add signs as you get more stuff.

I built my house (a tree house) across the river from the warehouse.

The ladder to get up there is on the other side of the tree. Feel free to look around. ;-)

Now for the challenge for the next person:
1. Build your home.
2. Add one new item to the garden. [Currently the "garden" consists of two rows of wheat, so anything you add will be good.]
3. Create an enchanting table.
4. Go to 141, 88, 351 (Teleport or just go across the river and climb the mountain) and build a 3-story "Rec Center" that has rooms for our basic necessities (enchanting room, potion room, etc.). Put the enchanting table in the enchanting room. You do not have to complete that room by adding bookshelves (unless you want to), just add the table.

That's it. Have fun. ;-)

Here's the download:
http://www.neighborlysimscraft.com/Fait ... orsies.zip
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Horsies -- Started by Faithy

Postby lindawing » November 10th, 2014, 12:15 am

Grabbed it! It might take a while to come up with the diamonds and get the obsidian for the table! should be interesting! It looks beautiful. I love both the warehouse and your home. Good going, Lydia! Woot!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 10th, 2014, 1:13 am

Thanks. :joy:

Yeah, I decided that the table was probably the hard part of this challenge, but it is a challenge, so... :yeah:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 10th, 2014, 3:27 am

For me, it's a good one. You know how I love to go digging underground! :evillaugh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 12th, 2014, 9:05 am

Lydia--I just entered the map, which is lovely. I got my starter kit (nice bedroom arrangement), and went outside. I decided to look at your house first thing...it looks so cool on the other side of the river!

So...I was going to teleport, but...the cheats aren't on. I turned them on (for me) by using NBT Explorer. If someone doesn't use that, I just wanted to mention that the cheats can be turned on by opening any singleplayer game to LAN. You don't have to have anyone playing with you on your network to do that. Just open any game you've entered, to LAN, by going into the options. Then the cheats will be available.

Then I discovered that the coords I was teleporting to weren't your house. :doh: I was going to the rec center site! :ohoh: :evillaugh:

So now I have coords to go see your house, after I got over there first without them. :yeah:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 12th, 2014, 11:14 am

Since I posted above, I went just past the garden, found a hole in the ground, went down, and found a huge underground ravine. I've gotten one piece of gold, and quite a bit of iron, which I'm building up. I also have nearly a whole stack of lapis, and nearly two stacks of redstone. I'm winding my way down one side of the ravine, behind the wall where the entire bottom of the ravine is lava. I'm in the 10-16 layers, but haven't yet found diamonds, which is my main thrust down there, since I need them to make the enchantment table.

There are a lot of caverns up above where I'm mining, but I could see all the good stuff from the other side of the ravine when I broke through the wall. I need to go back on the other side and just fight the lava. It's coming down nearly the whole wall on that side!

I'm heading for bed, but I've been entirely enjoying your map so far, Lydia! Thanks for the fun!!! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 12th, 2014, 4:17 pm

Glad you're enjoying it. I think it has a pretty layout and I think everyone will enjoy working on it. Sometimes we get lucky with the seeds. ;-)

Good find with the ravine. It helps if you find a cavern or ravine that goes way down because it's less digging. Good luck with the diamonds. You just need a few.
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 12th, 2014, 8:06 pm

Five...three for the pick for the obsidian, and two for the table. I'm sure there are some down there. The ravine is huge! :evillaugh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 13th, 2014, 7:46 am

Patty picked up this map tonight, too, Lydia. :uhhuh: She'll be playing in Peaceful, but she's going to try to do both of the challenges. I think this will be a good one for her to start with. :uhhuh:

I came out of my hole in the ground to take a load of stuff over to the warehouse, and when I walked out the door the next morning, there was a leftover zombie out there. I made quick work of him, and for my efforts, he gave me a potato! WOOT!!! This means that there is at least one village around somewhere! That's good to know! :joy:

I've found another couple of deep holes now, and pretty much cleaned them all out--even the ravine! It wasn't one of those with all the big caves up near the top, leading down to bedrock, or anything like that. It was just a short, but deep one. I killed all the lava--either with cobble or water, and there's plenty of obsidian down there to do what I need for the enchantment table, and for a nether portal, so I'll probably add that into my challenges when I can get doen with the ones you set! :lol:

I've been busy with the garden, and now it's yielding baking potatoes--not just seed. :hooray: I also hoed ground for a carrot patch, and have added room at one end for melons, and just about read to add room for pumpkins on the other side. I had to do a little hill terraforming at the back, because of the big drop off into the pond, plus there was a maze of potholes to fall into, as well. Creepers kept falling in there and surprising me! There certainly are a BUNCH of them around there! One of them came up to me just as I left the warehouse, and as I was trying to get further away from it (thank goodness!!!), it really "cleaned my clock!" I had full health, and he blew a HUGE hole in the ground, and I ended up floating in the air, above the huge hole, with a horse down in there looking up at me, as if to say, "What in the world...?" My belongings were all there, but scattered a LONG ways away, and I thought I had lost my clock (which is why I used that line above--grin). I found it, though, behind some tall grass. It was the only really valuable thing in my inventory at the time, though I had just replenished my iron tools, and I was glad not to lose any of them!

I've now planted a small, compact grove of birch and oak trees on the flat area at the back of one of the warehouse corners. I evened out the edges of the ponds there, too, to make it easier to get to the trees and so that skeletons and creepers can't hide there in the early mornings, either!

Tomorrow I'll get back underground and try to find those diamonds! I'm thinking probably over there by the rec center "mountain," might be a good place to start. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 13th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Hooray, Patty. So glad you're doing a challenge map. Definitely jump in and join us. We're having lots of fun! :friends:

Linda, it sounds like you're getting a lot of stuff done. :joy: Congrats on the potato. Don't you love it when you kill those zombies and get something nice? And I bet that mountain over there is just full of goodies. Have fun finding them. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 13th, 2014, 9:17 pm

I definitely will. You know me. I can spend hours (RL hours) down in a mine. :rotfl:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 14th, 2014, 12:08 pm

I have the rec center done, with the enchantment table in it. Working on the bookshelves...got to round up some cattle. I think I know what I'll do for the challenges, but I still have to build my own home, too.

Not only did I find enough diamonds to make the EC since yesterday, there are 7 extra in the SHINY chest! :joy: I put the diamond pick in the weapons/tools chest. I'm not up to level 30 right now, but maybe I will be by the time I get ready to finish, then I can try for a fortune enchantment.

I'd have been way PAST 30, but I got killed by stupid creepers SEVEN TIMES, while leaving the warehouse without paying enough attention. At least I kept the darned things from blowing up the warehouse or anything else important...they just got ME. Also, I was right there by the warehouse, so I was able to run back out and get my stuff almost immediately, and didn't lose anything but one stack of torches and all but a few levels. Whew! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 14th, 2014, 3:19 pm

If you're trying to do the bookshelves because you want to enchant, that's okay. But remember, they are not part of the challenge so you could always hand them off to the next person. It sounds like you could just build your house and be done if you wanted. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 14th, 2014, 10:30 pm

Oh no! I'm really into this! I want the bookshelves there because of my OCD for one thing. :evillaugh: I'm enjoying myself totally.

I've gone and made the file bigger by exploring, looking for villages and a jungle, but it's OK. I was only going to go out maybe 500 blocks, but couldn't resist heading out to at least 1000, and that turned into close to 1300 a couple of times. Ah well.

I didn't find a village that close. That doesn't mean there isn't one somewhere. There was a potato to plant, and I've seen three or four zombie villagers, so the probability is pretty great that there ARE villages somewhere. I did find a jungle (just one that close), just past my "set" 1000-block (from zero) border. I quartered the entire area in that 2000-block radius, from both the positive and negative corners, all the way in, all directions. So that left no areas unrendered, which is what drove up the file size (it's at 128 MB right now, an should remain right about there, and will be probably about 80 MB when zipped). I had a blast, though...data be dammed (spelled wrong intentionally). :lol:

A lot of the close-in map is ocean, which surprised me! I thought we were on the mainlaind, but actually, due to the rivers and then the ocean, it's an island! There's some beautiful scenery out there. :uhhuh:

I'm probably going to breed some cattle out in the wild, and provide coordinates (not too far out), rather than spend the time to lead them in.

My challenge involves exploring out in that same area where I've been, so it shouldn't raise the file size much, either. OK...going to get back to it, now! Bye!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 15th, 2014, 3:05 am

'Tis done!

The challenges Faithy laid out...

(1) Build your home...

I didn't do it in this order--it was last--but here it is, up on the mountaintop across the river behind the warehouse (to grandmother's house, we'll go).

Horsies-Linda'sHouse-A.jpg
Horsies-Linda'sHouse-A.jpg (348.53 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-Linda'sHouse-B.jpg
Horsies-Linda'sHouse-B.jpg (360.02 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-ViewFromHome-A.jpg
Horsies-ViewFromHome-A.jpg (378.05 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-ViewFromHome-B.jpg
Horsies-ViewFromHome-B.jpg (365.66 KiB) Viewed 540 times

(2) Add one new item to the garden. (Currently the "garden" consists of two rows of wheat, so anything you add will be good.)

I got a potato, right away, from a zombie right out in front of the warehouse. That one grew into many, and now there is not only a full section of healthy potato plants in the garden, but there are several stacks of baked potatoes in the food chest in the warehouse. Then I went searching for a jungle for cocoa beans and melons. I found one, and began planting and harvesting them. There were pumpkins on the hillsides all around the plains, so I planted and harvested a bunch of them, too. Also, there's a pond right next to the main garden, around which I planted a lot of sugar cane for both cookies and paper. I used most of what I harvested, for paper, for the bookshelves for the enchantment table, but the cane grows really fast, so you can get all the sugar you want. :uhhuh: For convenience, I also started a home grove of planted trees, between the gardens and the warehouse. It presently contains 10 birch trees, 10 oak trees, and four jungle trees.

NOTE: I always put slabs around the gardens, rather than logs or plants, because sometimes when you hop up onto those, you ruin the hoed ground near the edges (or at least I do). Slabs allow you to have a neat border and still just walk right onto the cultivated ground. I also put the slabs over the water canals, to prevent having to go after the stuff that falls into the water. You can use lily pads, but I use the slabs, because they don't get "eaten" when harvesting like lily pads do sometime. In this case, I also put a line of slabs around the sugar cane, all the way around the pond. This means that that pond has become a great place to trap creepers and other monsters, so watch out in the early mornings. If you have a bown and arrows, you can pick them off easily, as they are "sitting ducks." :rotfl: To get the loot, though, or if you fall in while harvesting, you will need to place a block to get out, because of the slab. It won't stop the water from reaching the sugar cane, but do remove the block if you have to do that.

Horsies-Gardens.jpg
Horsies-Gardens.jpg (474.91 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-TheHomeGrove-A.jpg
Horsies-TheHomeGrove-A.jpg (331.34 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-TheHomeGrove-B.jpg
Horsies-TheHomeGrove-B.jpg (405.8 KiB) Viewed 540 times

(3) Create an enchanting table.

It took me a LOT of spelunking down in deep, dark holes in the ground to finally find diamonds!!! The first find netted four diamonds...not enough...so I went into two more big cavern systems before I found the next spot, which netted eight more. There are seven in the SHINY chest in the warehouse, now. I also used the diamond pick to get MORE than enough obsidian for the enchantment table, so there's a short stack of it in the MISC chest in the warehouse--more than enough to make a nether portal. There's a picture of the enchantment table comlete with 16 bookshelves, in the next section.

Horsies-FinallyDiamondOre.jpg
Horsies-FinallyDiamondOre.jpg (368.33 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-TaDa.jpg
Horsies-TaDa.jpg (332.86 KiB) Viewed 540 times

(4) Go to 141 88 351. (Teleport or just go across the river and climb the mountain) and build a 3-story "Rec Center" that has rooms for our basic necessities (enchanting room, potion room, etc.) Put the enchanting table in the enchanting room. You do not have to complete that room by adding bookshelves (unless you want to), just add the table.

As mentioned above...I did both. :-) The other two rooms are empty. I probably should have added the filling of them to my next challenge, but I didn't think about it until I had already done my challenges. Sorry about that! They can just be filled in by someone at random, or they can be added to an upcoming challenge. Do be careful at the Rec Center. It's fenced and protected in some ways, but there are high cliffs behind it and it's entirely possible for monsters to make their way inside the fence. Just watch carefully. It's an invigorating area. I felt like it was one of those old-time recreation centers where families used to go on vacation together (like in Dirty Dancing).

Horsies-RecCenter-A.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-A.jpg (349.17 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RecCenter-B.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-B.jpg (360.35 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RecCenter-C.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-C.jpg (354.06 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RecCenter-D.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-D.jpg (413.96 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RecCenter-E.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-E.jpg (358.99 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RecCenter-F.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-F.jpg (314.75 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RecCenter-G.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-G.jpg (431.7 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RecCenter-H.jpg
Horsies-RecCenter-H.jpg (325.84 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-SnowingAtRecCenterTop.jpg
Horsies-SnowingAtRecCenterTop.jpg (508.18 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Horsies-RainingAtRecCenterBottom.jpg
Horsies-RainingAtRecCenterBottom.jpg (333.69 KiB) Viewed 540 times

There you have it! I extremely enjoyed this map, Lydia. Thank you very much for offering it. I hope some others will have the chance to join in, soon. If not, have fun with the next challenges, which are...

(1) Build your home if you haven't already done so.

(2) Find a carrot, plant it, and cultivate more, until carrots fill the available space in the home gardens (296 71 403). There may be a village somewhere, but I know for sure there's not one in the 2000-block area around 0 (1000 blocks out in any direction). I have carefully quartered all of that, and there's only one jungle, no desert space large enough for a village, and no villages in either the one savanna or any of the plains areas.

A zombie gave me a potato, and I've seen 5-6 zombie villagers around, so I believe there IS a village somewhere--whether or not it has carrots in a garden is another question, since the biomes are only size-2 in this world. A zombie may also give you a carrot. If you don't want to go further out looking for a village, or spend time killing a ton of zombies, however, there is ONE carrot waiting for you--somewhere in that 2000-block aea around 0 (it's not out to the edges). All you have to do is find the Pig and Rabbit Pen.

Horsies-Pig&RabbitPen.jpg
Horsies-Pig&RabbitPen.jpg (441.23 KiB) Viewed 540 times

Remember...don't waste the carrot!!! Also, while you're out there, gather some spruce saplings, so you can add to the existing home grove (planted trees) that's out behind the warehouse). If you slaughter pigs or rabbits, be sure to leave two of each behind when you leave.

(3) There are four tame horses between the warehouse (255 72 410) and the recreation center (142 88 357). Inside the warehouse, you'll find four saddles in a special chest. Grab those, and go try to put them on the horses you find. If the horses are tame, you'll be able to saddle them up. If you absolutely can't find all four tame ones, then just tame enough, yourself, to have four saddled horses in the end.

(4) Create a corral for the tame horses, out in back of the warehouse, close to the home grove. Once they are saddled, you just ride them over there, or if you want to lead them, you can probably find slimes in a nearby swampland. There are two good prospects nearby (-395 66 -23) and (469 681 551).

(5) Find the cow pen. It's in a mega taiga. When I left it, there were a bunch of babies and one adult, since I had just slaughtered the rest of the adults for the leather needed to make books for bookshelves to go with the enchantment table in the recreation center. Take a picture to prove you found the pen. Make use of the cows if you need them, but be sure you always leave two cows in the pen when you depart.

Horsies-TheCowPen.jpg
Horsies-TheCowPen.jpg (419.84 KiB) Viewed 540 times

(6) Find the mushroom island that's within the 2000-block area around 0. It's easiest to just fly over the ocean in creative, but if you'd rather stay in survival, you may want to build a boat to take with you...it's an island, as the name portrays. ;-) Take six bowls with you, so can milk four mooshrooms while you are there. Take a picture to post, as well. Put the mushroom stew in the food chest in the warehouse.

Horsies-FindTheseGuys.jpg
Horsies-FindTheseGuys.jpg (327.65 KiB) Viewed 540 times

BONUS...if you still feel like it after all of that, you might want to make some simple pathways out of cobble or other stone, from the warehouse to the gardens, to the trees, to the corral, and to the recreation center. This is not necessary, and they don't have to be more than one square wide...just paths marking the way. The one going to the rec center has to have a bridge (again...something very simple will do).

Download the Challenges as an .rtf file, if you'd like, for convenience in printing.

Horsies--#2Challenges.rtf
(3.5 KiB) Downloaded 16 times

Download the current coordinates as an .rtf file, if you'd like. The coordinates for the two pens and the mushroom island are NOT on this list, since you are supposed to find them. ;-)

Horsies--CoordsBeforePlayer3.rtf
(975 Bytes) Downloaded 13 times

Download the (82.7 MB) Map
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Our Round-Robin Games