Tiny Biomes--RR Start 2--11/04/14--lindawing

This is a public forum. Multiplayer games are great fun, but not everyone can be online at the same time, and many times we just end up playing by ourselves, anyway, using bandwidth, and paying for a server. We have decided to try doing some Round-Robin games, to see how it might work out. Take a look to see what we've come up with. Anyone may add one, at any time.

Re: Tiny Biomes--RR Start 2--11/04/14--lindawing

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 9th, 2014, 4:03 pm

Glad you're enjoying the challenges. Really love the little biomes. How did you make them? I'd like to do some of the same in some of my biomes.

I do think the igloo looks like it has a face. :rotfl:

I didn't really leave anything in particular for you to work with in the storeroom, I just dumped my inventory (as I usually do). ;-)

No cheats? What!!!!! :yikes: :joy:

Oh, as for uploading the ftps, I did the second one (the first one by myself) and it didn't work. So I renamed and repackaged the stuff and tried again. It didn't work. Then I repackaged again and as I started to upload, I realized that on the right hand side I hadn't clicked on Minecraft so that the package would go there -- which is why the link wasn't working -- it was going to the wrong place. :doh: I got that one in place finally and then when it was time to upload the next challenge, I got it right the first time. :-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 9th, 2014, 9:56 pm

Ah! Been there and done that! You learn fast. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 9th, 2014, 10:03 pm

Regarding different sizes of biomes...you choose customize, instead of default, for the world type. Then you go through the first two pages of the four customization choices (the other two are the advanced settings). For the biomes setting, the smaller the number, the smaller the biomes will be. I used 1 for this. The default is 4. It's fun to play with the other settings as well.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 9th, 2014, 10:05 pm

I'll post my link to the WIKI about using those options, when I get to my computer...on my Kindle right now.

EDIT (5:16 PM)...I see by your new RR file (which I already grabbed) that you figured it out. I meant to get the WIKI link posted long before this, but got sidetracked. My stepson is coming over this way for at least the winter, so he can work (probably at the Cheese Factory where Harry works), and I needed to get his AMTRAK ticket going. He'll be paying us back for that when he gets here. It's just easier for me to do it because he doesn't have a computer setup with online stuff. He'll be leaving Seattle on Thursday, and arriving in Fargo very early Saturday morning.

So...here is the link to the Customization WIKI page:
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Customized
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 10th, 2014, 10:19 am

I've been having a blast doing your challenges tonight, Lydia! The only thing I have left to do is get at least a potato or a carrot to plant. I have pictures of all the other stuff, and just a bit ago I was investigating a cavern and found a zombie dungeon. So I made use of the spawner to create a grinder.

I only stayed to grind for a bit before quitting, but I got six levels, 48 pieces of rotten flesh, and four iron ingots...not a sign (yet) of either a potato or a carrot! Silly Zombies!

Also, while I was just finishing up the grinder, an endermen popped into the little room, so I made use of the 2-block-high overhang I had created in front of the spawning area, and fought him with just a stone sword. So there, Enderman! Got his pearl, too!

Since I'm so close to finishing, I'll wait until I do, to post photos, along with the new challenge and the changed file.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 11th, 2014, 4:27 am

I was successful in all of Faithy's challenges without cheating, except the last one. There is one of each vegie planted in the garden, now, but finally, after two days of killing Zombies in the wild, and in the grinder I made, and searching high and low for non-existing villages (see below*), I got the potato and the carrot (just one of each) out of the Creative inventory, and planted them. Then I wound up my turn.

*Evidently the size 1 biomes are not flat enough or large enough to produce villages. To my eye, it seemed like many of the deserts, plains, and savannas I visited over the last few days WERE big enough, and PROBABLY flat enough--especially given the fact that we've all seen villages dropped into very interesting, uneven, and inhospitable places in this game!

Here's one of several conversations about how the smallest size biome setting (1...like this one is using) isn't friendly (sigh) with villages, which I didn't know ahead of time when I made the map:
http://www.minecraftforum.net/forums/mi ... s-dungeons

And here's the official bug report, which has not yet been resolved:
https://bugs.mojang.com/browse/MC-60590

I thought about just creating a village, because I've done many of them, now, but I still would have had to cheat in the first potato and carrot, because a summoned or spawned farmer villager will not have anything to plant unless the items already exist in the world...sigh. There aren't any zombie villagers in the world, either, because there are no villagers to be corrupted. Also, the zombies are never going to drop either a carrot or a potato, because (again) there aren't any in the world--they come into the world when the villages are created. The zombies drop plenty of rotten flesh, iron ingots, and whatever they are holding when they rush you...just not any vegies...sigh. Now that there will be potatoes and carrots in this world, in future, the zombies could conceivably drop some. It's a Catch-22 type of situation.

By the time I figured all this out, I was ready to move on to a new map, so I just got the one potato and one carrot into the garden, then I wound up my turn.

Here are Faithy's challenges and my proof pictures:

1. Furnish/decorate the igloo. It's small so there's not a lot to do, but try to make it more homey. You may remove the iron blocks and torch that I placed for lighting, but the walls have to stay where they are. You can also still teleport to the area at -211,80,357 if you would rather do that, but it's only about a hundred blocks or so from the warehouse.
TinyBiomes-IglooFurnishings-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-IglooFurnishings-A.jpg (263.08 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-IglooFurnishings-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-IglooFurnishings-B.jpg (267.93 KiB) Viewed 593 times

2. Create a storage area under the igloo that holds at least 8 double chests and a crafting table and furnace. There is already a ladder and small area made.
TinyBiomes-IglooStorage.jpg
TinyBiomes-IglooStorage.jpg (292.47 KiB) Viewed 593 times

3. Build a road/bridge between the warehouse and the igloo and make a detour that goes to the island between them where the community garden is being worked on.
TinyBiomes-IglooExteriorWithRoad.jpg
TinyBiomes-IglooExteriorWithRoad.jpg (268.95 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-A.jpg (374.58 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-B.jpg (273.98 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-C.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-C.jpg (404.17 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-D.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-D.jpg (422.4 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-E.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-E.jpg (361.82 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-F.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-F.jpg (388.44 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-G.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-G.jpg (376.96 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-H.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-H.jpg (402.48 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-I.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-I.jpg (378.57 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-J.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-J.jpg (320.37 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-K.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-K.jpg (361.07 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-L.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-L.jpg (376.8 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-M.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-M.jpg (421.6 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-N.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-N.jpg (388.27 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-O.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-O.jpg (401.64 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Road-P.jpg
TinyBiomes-Road-P.jpg (327.44 KiB) Viewed 593 times

4. Add potatoes and carrots to the community garden that has already been started. This is the hardest of the challenges because you will need to kill a lot of zombies, find a village, or cheat to meet the goal. ;-)
TinyBiomes-GardenBeforeAdditions-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-GardenBeforeAdditions-A.jpg (538.62 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-GardenBeforeAdditions-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-GardenBeforeAdditions-B.jpg (470.28 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-GardenAfterCheatedPotato&Carrot.jpg
TinyBiomes-GardenAfterCheatedPotato&Carrot.jpg (289.32 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-GardenChest.jpg
TinyBiomes-GardenChest.jpg (132.85 KiB) Viewed 593 times

Here are some pictures I took while I was out and about looking for villages...
TinyBiomes-BurnedOutForest-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-BurnedOutForest-A.jpg (425.23 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-BurnedOutForest-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-BurnedOutForest-B.jpg (434.72 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Cows.jpg
TinyBiomes-Cows.jpg (464.78 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-FirstDiamondAndRedstone.jpg
TinyBiomes-FirstDiamondAndRedstone.jpg (346.92 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-FirstLapis.jpg
TinyBiomes-FirstLapis.jpg (394.15 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Horses.jpg
There are LOTS of horses out there. These were just a couple.
TinyBiomes-Horses.jpg (235.41 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-PrettyViewFromWarehouse.jpg
TinyBiomes-PrettyViewFromWarehouse.jpg (325.68 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-Ravine.jpg
TinyBiomes-Ravine.jpg (433.45 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-ZombieGrinder-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-ZombieGrinder-A.jpg (391.55 KiB) Viewed 593 times

TinyBiomes-ZombieGrinder-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-ZombieGrinder-B.jpg (381.77 KiB) Viewed 593 times

My challenges for the next player are...

(1) Protect those vegies with your life, and make sure they multiply! There's a good supply of bonemeal in the garden chest. Feel free to make use of it! :uhhuh: By the time you end your turn, make a separate single chest and add at least four full stacks of raw potatoes and two full stacks of carrots to it.

(2) In all my running around and diving deeply into holes in the ground, I only found three diamonds (they're in the chest for gems, in the warehouse). We need more diamonds! Make sure that there are at least six diamonds in that chest before you pass the game on. If you can't, you can't, but make the effort. :uhhuh: I've lit up a lot of tunnels, but I have not looted much of anything. Just because there are torches in a hole in the ground somewhere, don't assume that everything's already taken, because it isn't. There's at least coal (and a ton of that). I took out a goodly bit of iron, and some gold, but I only got down to the diamond levels a couple of times. Press on!

(3) Take a boat ride in one of the boats from the warehouse dock. Take a second boat with you, and when you reach a nice destination, create a dock there, and leave one boat behind, along with a chest with a bit of food and a weapon and a couple of tools, for a needy traveler.

(4) Create an animal pen (or barn, or whatever) near the garden (follow the road from the warehouse dock to find the garden and the igloo), and lure two cows, two sheep, two pigs, two chickens, and two rabbits into it. There are animals in all sorts of nooks and crannies nearby. Finding them should be pretty easy. Getting them there, probably not so easy. There ARE swampland areas, and if you want to, feel free to find slime so you can make leads. Spiders seem to abound all over the place--both above and below ground. There is some string in the warehouse, though not a whole lot. Otherwise, just use some of the fruit of the garden to lure in the animals. :uhhuh: NOTE: Feel free to add two horses if you want, but you don't have to.

(5) This is just an optional challenge. If you feel like it or have the time, make at least a start on replacing the torches on the road with embedded jack-o-lanterns. The pumpkins grow very quickly, and if you just check them every time you go by there, you can add a bunch to the small stock already in the double chest, and then turn them into jack-o-lanterns to use to light the roads. Just remove the blocks on which the torches now sit, and replace them with jack-o-lanterns.

(6) If you have the map for the first time, don't forget to make your own home somewhere near the warehouse. :uhhuh:

DOWNLOAD THE (35.3 MB) MAP

If you'd like to have the coordinates I have recorded right now, here they are, in .rtf form that you can print out.
TinyBiomes-CoordsBefore3rdChallenge.rtf
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 11th, 2014, 6:23 am

Great job, Linda. :joy: And cheating to get the potatoes and carrots was one of the options, so you followed the rules! ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 11th, 2014, 8:53 am

I know, but I was trying so hard to not have to cheat on anything. I was so disappointed about the village thing. I hope they work that out soon. I like the smaller biomes, but I also love my little guys!

I'll have to do some more experimenting...with size 2. I think I've done size 3 and had villages. Hopefully 2 will, also. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 11th, 2014, 10:17 am

I had been going to quit for the night, but after I posted that, I decided to go back into the game and see if I could find any villages in a size-2-biome world. I tried one, and went all over the place (flying) to no avail. I tried a size-3-biome world, also, then a default world. I got tired of looking, in that one, because the biomes are SO big! I read that with every increment, the biomes double, and it looks like that's true.

In other words, the size 1 is whatever it is, and the size 2 is twice as large as a 1. Size 3 isn't 3x as large as 1, though, it's twice as large as a 2, and a size 4 is twice as large as a 3. To put it simply, if 1 is 1 square, then 2 is 2 squares, 3 is 6 squares, 4 is 24 squares, 5 is 120 squares, 6 is 240 squares, etc.

Anyway, before quitting again, I tried a size-2-biome one more time, and decide3d to just fly straight out from spawn, hoping to find a village. Before I finally DID (yaaayyy), I found three desert temples in close proximity, then suddenly (it was night), there was a pool of light coming up, and there was a tiny desert village--just the well and three buildings, and all the little villagers were securetly tucked away in their cozy little homes...well...in their ONE cozy little home. The church was lit up, too, as was the butcher shop. The house they were all in, though, was the large house. Anyway...it was cute, and it was a village, but it had no farms. It wouldn't have served the purpose for the Tiny Biomes challenge, either!

So...if I issue another small biomes world as a RR map, I'll be sure to create at least one village before it goes out the first time--just in case! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 11th, 2014, 5:40 pm

This is good info. I'm about to put up a size 2 biome that I had created. Just to save everyone headaches, I'll go ahead and put some carrots and potatoes in the garden before I put it up. There may be a village nearby or maybe not. But I don't want people having to run around too much (especially since that makes the files too big for you, Linda). ;-)

BTW, the Horsies map I put up was a size 3. Don't know if I said that in the map info or not.
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 11th, 2014, 10:57 pm

You did. I think size 3 should be fine. If I found even a tiny village on size 2, there shouldn't be any problems with size 3.

With size 1, in Tiny Biomes, we have that one little sunflower between the warehouse and my house, which HAS to have come from a Sunflower Plaines biome, but the biome never shows up in the F3 display, even when you're standing right on the sunflower, so obviously they have a LITTLE tweaking they still need to do with the customized worlds. ;-)

Even at that, we get far fewer glitches with Minecraft, than we do with any of the Sims venues! :rotfl:

Thanks so much for understanding about my internet limitations. It gets SO frustrating at times!!! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 14th, 2014, 6:41 pm

If no one has a problem with it, I'm going to take this map again and do Linda's challenges. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 14th, 2014, 10:00 pm

I think you and I are it, for the moment, at least. Others can pick up on them later, and we'll see some alternate routes! That will be fun! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 17th, 2014, 7:47 pm

Okay, I have finally finished this round. It was much harder than it would seem having just one potato and turning it into 4 stacks. Also, getting animals from several islands over back to the barn without the use of leads is slow and terrible. I like my leads. :uhhuh: But I got it all done. ;-)

(1) Protect those veggies with your life, and make sure they multiply! By the time you end your turn, make a separate single chest and add at least four full stacks of raw potatoes and two full stacks of carrots to it.

Here is the pic of the single chest I made with the four stacks of raw potatoes and 2 stacks of carrots.

I might have failed with the "protect these veggies with your life" part of the challenge. Just as I was trying to harvest the last of the potatoes, a creeper snuck up behind me and blew up half the potato patch. :doh: I had to use some of the other potatoes to replant that section once I got it all fixed, so that put me behind for three more days. :uhuh:

(2) We need more diamonds! Make sure that there are at least six diamonds in that chest before you pass the game on.

My personal belief about diamonds in the game is that if I go down to level 11 and find a lava pool, I will find diamonds nearby when I dig. I didn't even have to dig for these guys. I went down to level 11, found a lava pool, and if you look behind the zombie you will see diamonds. I managed to get 4 from that group so we now have 7 in the chest. ;-)

(3) Take a boat ride in one of the boats from the warehouse dock. Take a second boat with you, and when you reach a nice destination, create a dock there, and leave one boat behind, along with a chest with a bit of food and a weapon and a couple of tools, for a needy traveler.

I headed in a northeasterly direction and went about two islands or so back (just past the jungle). Coords are 194, 63, 201. I didn't want to get too far out because the file is already getting kinda big.

I built a little "safety shack" beside the dock to hide in just in case you're over there and it gets dark. I put the "starter kit" of items inside the shack and there is a crafting table just outside.

(4) Create an animal pen (or barn, or whatever) near the garden (follow the road from the warehouse dock to find the garden and the igloo), and lure two cows, two sheep, two pigs, two chickens, and two rabbits into it. NOTE: Feel free to add two horses if you want, but you don't have to.

Here is the barn. It has stalls and some hay inside and a nice little pond inside the corral area. It has double gates so the animals don't get out while you try to get other animals inside. ;-)

This doesn't show all the animals, but at least it gives you an idea that they are there. I managed to get two of each animals listed. It was harder than I would have thought in that I had to go several islands over for each animal. For some reason there were none close. But then as I was getting animals in the barn, those animals started to spawn closer to the barn. Grrrrr.

I did find both donkeys (382, 66, 417) and horses (-158,63, -58), but I wasn't able to bring them home because I didn't have any leads. I wandered around the various little swamplands at night over and over (in all kinds of moons) and couldn't manage to find any slime. I think the areas close to us just aren't big enough (2 or 3 trees of swampland) to spawn any slime.
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 17th, 2014, 8:13 pm

You did a GRAND job, Lydia! I really thought you'd be able to find slime! I was pretty sure I'd seen at least one, but I could have been seeing a creeper. Sorry about that! That creeper mishap at the garden would have had me yelling, "Stupid creeper!" and making everyone here laugh at me! :evillaugh:

I'm looking forward to getting back into this one, eventually. Hopefully Carrie might be able to get in, too, before too long. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Our Round-Robin Games