Tiny Biomes--RR Start 2--11/04/14--lindawing

This is a public forum. Multiplayer games are great fun, but not everyone can be online at the same time, and many times we just end up playing by ourselves, anyway, using bandwidth, and paying for a server. We have decided to try doing some Round-Robin games, to see how it might work out. Take a look to see what we've come up with. Anyone may add one, at any time.

Tiny Biomes--RR Start 2--11/04/14--lindawing

Postby lindawing » November 4th, 2014, 7:37 am

I used the custom settings to make a map that contains only tiny biomes (I slid the slider back to 1 for that choice). I also made it have larger-than-usual spawns of all resources, with larger chances of spawning those items, as well. I did the increases proportionately. In other words, there will still be fewer diamonds than anything else, and iron will still be harder to find than coal. When you DO find any of the ores or gems, though, there will be more of them in one place than in the default maps.

I think there's a way to increase mobs of either type as well, but I didn't even look to see. I just left all of that at the default setting. :uhhuh:

I was very pleased to generate the map and be looking directly at a mesa! I haven't seen one in my SP games for a LONG time, now! :joy: Not only that, but there's another range close by, too.

Because of the tiny biomes, when you find a biome, it might not even register in the F3 display. There's a place close to the warehouse that HAS to be a VERY tiny Sunflower Plains, because the sunflowers don't grow anywhere else. However, there's a SINGLE sunflower growing, and no matter where I tried to get it to read that biome, it wouldn't. I suspect it's a single block (maybe even on the Z axis). Kind of neat!

Here are pictures of the warehouse (59, 70, 381).
TinyBiomes-Warehouse-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-Warehouse-A.jpg (376.04 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-Warehouse-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-Warehouse-B.jpg (353.77 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-Warehouse-C.jpg
TinyBiomes-Warehouse-C.jpg (364.45 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-Warehouse-D.jpg
TinyBiomes-Warehouse-D.jpg (374.25 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-Warehouse-E.jpg
TinyBiomes-Warehouse-E.jpg (334.25 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-Warehouse-F.jpg
TinyBiomes-Warehouse-F.jpg (388.01 KiB) Viewed 466 times

The bedroom is just outside one of the warehouse doors (50, 70, 385)
TinyBiomes-Bedroom.jpg
TinyBiomes-Bedroom.jpg (356.48 KiB) Viewed 466 times

My home is called Oak Island. Even before I started messing with it, it was a small island (a Swampland biome) with a lot of oak trees. I did all my building over there in Survival mode, and it was VERY easy to get enough oak to do what I needed, and to plant more trees, after I terraformed the island just a bit to suit my needs. While I was over there, I had to escape from a witch (was NOT equipped to fight her). She almost killed me...it was nip and tuck for a bit, but I was able to get over to another island ahead of her (she chased me pretty fast through the water, though), and finally get away. I then went back to the warehouse for a bit, while I recuperated. Whew!

Here are pictures of my home (the first one is looking straight out from the back door area of the warehouse).
TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-A.jpg (291.06 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-B.jpg (265.08 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-C.jpg
TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-C.jpg (392.2 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-D.jpg
TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-D.jpg (442.89 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-E.jpg
TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-E.jpg (432.53 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-F.jpg
TinyBiomes-OakIsland-MyHome-F.jpg (444.13 KiB) Viewed 466 times

You're welcome to go visit there if you like. There is no protection other than the trees, though, so do be a bit careful. The dock is at 31, 63, 521, and inside my little raised house is 30, 74, 538.

My challenge this time is fairly simple. The building part is to teleport to the tiny Ice Plains Spikes biome near the warehouse (-211, 80, 357).
TinyBiomes-IcePlainsSpikes-A.jpg
TinyBiomes-IcePlainsSpikes-A.jpg (419.71 KiB) Viewed 466 times

TinyBiomes-IcePlainsSpikes-B.jpg
TinyBiomes-IcePlainsSpikes-B.jpg (383.56 KiB) Viewed 466 times

There's a great place among the few spires, to create a fairly large igloo. Feel free to branch out from the traditional igloo shape. The word itself only means "house." (I grew up in Alaska, among many Aleut friends.) However, your "igloo" must be made using at least the greatest percentage of snow blocks. You don't have to have any type of enchantments to get them. If you want to use ice blocks in your construction, you'll have to figure out how to get silk touch on something, which would involve having to find lava, obsidian, etc., and making an enchantment table. That's up to you. ;-) Snow blocks are enough.

You are also to find 16 dry sponges in the "stacked boxes" (chests) near the warehouse and docks (there are none INSIDE the warehouse itself--no sponges, I mean--there are plenty of chests). Those 16 sponges must be placed inside your igloo, in a chest of their own. In that chest, you must also place 16 bowls that you have made from any type of wood in the area, and 8 buckets that you have made from some iron that you have mined in the area.

Since the challenge area will be public after you've finished, other players may avail themselves of any or all of these items at any time.

Don't forget to build your own home, if this is your first time with this map. Check the guidelines for the approximate location spacing for that.

Download the Map
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Tiny Biomes--RR Start 2--11/04/14--lindawing

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 7th, 2014, 2:23 am

Since I love mesas AND ice spires, I am going to grab this one. :yeah:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 7th, 2014, 3:55 am

I kind of figured you might! ;-) :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 7th, 2014, 5:04 am

I love the warehouse area and how everything spreads out and moves in and out and up and down. It's really cool! :joy:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 7th, 2014, 5:37 am

Thank you! I had SO much fun with that, and it was almost all there just exactly that way!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 7th, 2014, 5:59 pm

Really loved working on this challenge because the small biomes are just so much fun. :joy:

Here's how I completed the challenge:

1. Build your own home.

I guess I cheated on this one because I didn't "build" my own home as much as I "hollowed out" my own home. But there was a mesa right there. What was I supposed to do? :yikes:

2. Teleport to Ice Plain Spires.

This is a tiny biome map so the Spires were few, but they were still lovely.

3. Create an igloo.

I created an igloo and added a little glass so there are some views. It's basic, but it does the job to fulfill the challenge. There wasn't a lot of room to get too fancy.

4. Find 16 dry sponges and place in a chest in the igloo.
Place 16 bowls in the chest.
Place 8 buckets in the chest.

Managed to get all these items pretty quickly. ;-)

As always, I played totally vanilla in survival. The only time I used a cheat was to follow the rules and teleport to the ice spires.

Speaking of teleporting, in the Little Plains challenge I can see that there was a need to teleport since the challenge started at the very top of a tall tree, but for this challenge, it would have been just as easy to "go to" instead of teleport. If there isn't an actual need for teleporting, can the rules say "go to" so that I can avoid cheating during the challenge? The teleport coords could still be given for those who want to grab the challenge and use that option. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 7th, 2014, 6:46 pm

Now for the challenge for the next person:

1. Furnish/decorate the igloo. It's small so there's not a lot to do, but try to make it more homey. You may remove the iron blocks and torch that I placed for lighting, but the walls have to stay where they are. You can also still teleport to the area at -211,80,357 if you would rather do that, but it's only about a hundred blocks or so from the warehouse.

2. Create a storage area under the igloo that holds at least 8 double chests and a crafting table and furnace. There is already a ladder and small area made.

3. Build a road/bridge between the warehouse and the igloo and make a detour that goes to the island between them where the community garden is being worked on.

4. Add potatoes and carrots to the community garden that has already been started. This is the hardest of the challenges because you will need to kill a lot of zombies, find a village, or cheat to meet the goal. ;-)

It's a great map. Have fun. And if you haven't already built a house on the map, remember that you need to do that.

Here's the file:
http://www.neighborlysimscraft.com/Fait ... ithful.zip
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 7th, 2014, 10:38 pm

...can the rules say "go to" so that I can avoid cheating during the challenge?

Absolutely! I'll always give the coordinates, but if you want to walk/run there, instead of teleporting, please feel free! :uhhuh: I'll make sure I say that, from now on.

I love your igloo! You did a wonderful job! I knew you'd be creative with it. ;-) When I finish with the new challenge in Little Plains, if nobody else has picked this up, I'll do it.

I'm beginning to see, now, how others could start with the first challenge, then add that part, and someone else could then do their challenge, so that there are more than one map of the original challenge going around. I thought it would be rather confusing, but probably not, really.

So I'll change the guidelines to reflect that. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 8th, 2014, 1:19 am

That's true. If everyone wanted to do the challenges posted, they could. Nothing would really stop them. I like the Round Robin aspect of this, but others might enjoy doing every single challenge. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 8th, 2014, 2:15 am

That's very true! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » November 8th, 2014, 4:04 pm

Wow! This one looks like a lot of fun. Nice job on completing the challenges, Lydia. :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 8th, 2014, 9:20 pm

It really is a great map! I'll use the small biomes again for myself. I like not having to travel through miles and miles and miles and miles and...miles...just to get through a roofed forest, which seem to be the predominant biome these days, like jungles used to be!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » November 8th, 2014, 11:56 pm

:uhhuh:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 9th, 2014, 7:36 am

I've gone ahead and grabbed this to work on the next part. If anyone else wants to do it, too, that's perfectly OK. We decided we could run as many versions as people want to post. :uhhuh:

By the way, Lydia! I'm so proud of you! You uploaded both of the new ones by ftp, all by yourself! Go, Lydia!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 9th, 2014, 9:19 am

I've started on the challenges. I totally LOVE the igloo, Lydia! Fantastic! I won't move the lighting. I have a tentative plan for some very basic furnishing, but before I do that, I'll finish the storeroom. I have a start there, but then I got sidetracked because I needed to get some different supplies than what you left down there, so I decided that actually, the first order of business needed to be the road. :uhhuh:

Because it passes through several biomes on the way from the igloo to the garden (at which I've already harvest cocoa beans 3x & hoed the next section of the garden, and planted the remaining melon and the two remaining pumpkins, and have stored some of each), I decided to go with the wood (if possible) from each biome, for the roadbed. In the desert, I'm using sandstone. There by the garden will be acacia wood. In the mesa area, it's oak wood. I've already connected to the side of the dock out there by the warehouse, and over to the garden from there, and have started the sandstone part, but I have only cleared the roadbed for the acacia wood by the garden. I was going to do that before I quit tonight, but I need to get to bed...tired eyes.

I'm looking forward to finishing the challenges, and I doubt I'll need to cheat for anything with all the biomes nearby. :yeah:

Here's a picture of the igloo as I walked up to it tonight. It has a quite happy face, and was reaching to welcome me with open arms! ;-)
TinyBiomes-IglooWithPersonality.jpg
TinyBiomes-IglooWithPersonality.jpg (267.06 KiB) Viewed 436 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Our Round-Robin Games