Little Plains--RR Start 1--11/03/14--Linda

This is a public forum. Multiplayer games are great fun, but not everyone can be online at the same time, and many times we just end up playing by ourselves, anyway, using bandwidth, and paying for a server. We have decided to try doing some Round-Robin games, to see how it might work out. Take a look to see what we've come up with. Anyone may add one, at any time.

Little Plains--RR Start 1--11/03/14--Linda

Postby lindawing » November 3rd, 2014, 11:32 am

I named this map Little Plains because it starts out on a very small Plains biome right in the middle of a bunch of other types of biomes. It has a lot of catacombs underneath the surface, with lots of resources both above-ground and underground.

The (reset) world spawn point is 173, 64, 280 (which is right beside the BED, in the warehouse--see the Guidelines about that).
LittlePlains-Warehouse-01.jpg
LittlePlains-Warehouse-01.jpg (340.94 KiB) Viewed 494 times

LittlePlains-Warehouse-02.jpg
LittlePlains-Warehouse-02.jpg (327.43 KiB) Viewed 494 times

LittlePlains-Warehouse-03.jpg
LittlePlains-Warehouse-03.jpg (360.9 KiB) Viewed 494 times

LittlePlains-Warehouse-04.jpg
LittlePlains-Warehouse-04.jpg (345.86 KiB) Viewed 494 times

The warehouse takes up most of the Plains. ;-)

My home is only 57 blocks away from one of the edges. You can safely teleport to 231, 64, 215, if you'd like to check it out. Feel free to trade with my villagers any time, as long as you don't let them out of their confines. There are two villagers on one side of the farm, and two on the other, and they are the right villagers to farm the things on their sides of the gates. :uhhuh: There are dogs, but the dogs will think they are yours, so you won't need to worry about them.
LittlePlains-Linda'sHome.jpg
LittlePlains-Linda'sHome.jpg (504.66 KiB) Viewed 494 times

There is an existing, somewhat-explored mine under that area. In it, there is a safe, crafting area, at 329, 27, 215. That is common ground (since it's underground). Be careful in there. Though the immediate area outside the safe house is lit up, that light doesn't go very far, and there is a lot of territory (full of lovely resources) that has not yet been fully explored. Monsters abound, believe me!
LittlePlains-ExistingMine.jpg
LittlePlains-ExistingMine.jpg (370.09 KiB) Viewed 494 times

If you decide to pick up this map and be the next player in line, here is your challenge (and don't forget to build your home, also, if this is your first time into the map):

Teleport to -271, 104, 395 (I'd suggest going in the daytime). :evillaugh: You'll land on top of a very interesting mountain, on the very top of a tree. Your first task is to get to the bottom--your choice whether or not you try it in Survival or take the easy way out and go into Creative. ;-)
LittlePlains-FirstChallenge.jpg
LittlePlains-FirstChallenge.jpg (412.89 KiB) Viewed 494 times

Keep in mind that you are going to be operating on that mountain, anyway, so it's OK to chip away at it as you get down, and you may just want to get the wood from that tree (and others) as well, as you go down.

Your goal is to make that mountain into a castle, with a tall tower, and 16 flying banners (each one different in some way). You also have to place a giant mushroom at the top (either color, though the brown ones for planting are more readily available close by).

You must stay within the torched boundary for building, though you do NOT have to get all your resources within that area. However, you must stay between the warehouse and the challenge area to get them. Sheep are going to be important to you, so you may want to find some iron and make SHEARS before you start out, so that you don't deplete the available flocks by killing them all off immediately (respawns will happen, but it takes time).

Also before you start actually gathering the necessary resources, you will want to look carefully for a single chest (it's within the boundaries and above-ground, yet hidden), which contains some very important items, of which you MUST make use in one or more rooms of the castle.

HINT: When you finish the challenge, the castle must have a sign pointing the way to it, that calls it "The Enchanted Castle."

The castle should have viable rooms, from the bottom to the top, and all should be accessible without going into Creative, when the castle is visited. Think stairs, ladders, trapdoors, maybe some hidden doors. In other words, don't just make a hollow tower and call it a castle. It doesn't have to be very big--other than the tall tower--but it SHOULD remind us of a castle when we visit it. :yeah:

You may build in Creative mode, BUT...due to the nature of this challenge, you need to GATHER approximately enough of your supplies that you COULD build it in Survival mode. Since building in Creative doesn't CONSUME all the supplies, the "extra" supplies should be put into chests either in the castle or in the warehouse, for anyone to use. Yes...if you REALLY don't feel like gathering all the stuff, you MAY get it out of the Creative inventory, but be sure you figure it pretty close, and leave the items for everyone to use when they need to. Or...you could just build in Survival mode, after gathering your supplies. ;-)

To finish the challenge off, either build a simple road, or at least mark the way with torches, from the castle to the warehouse (or vice versa). :rotfl:

Here are some links you may need as you complete this challenge:

Banners...
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Banner

Dyes...
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Dyes

Huge Mushrooms...
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Huge_mushroom

Bookshelves...
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Bookshelf

Enchantment Mechanics...
http://minecraft.gamepedia.com/Enchantment_mechanics
(Don't worry...find the chest...)

Now about downloading the file. Unfortunately, the file is already too large to be attached here in one piece. So I divided it into two pieces. You'll need to do that, too, when you re-post it. PeaZip will do it, or 7zip, and probably others. If you need help, post here or in the Guidelines topic to ask.
LittlePlains-RRStart-110314-lindawing.zip.001
(10 MiB) Downloaded 23 times

LittlePlains-RRStart-110314-lindawing.zip.002
(7.77 MiB) Downloaded 20 times

The first piece (...zip.001) is 10 MB, and the second piece (...zip.002) is 7.7 MB. Download them both. Make sure they are in the same location, then unpack the .001 piece, and it will pull from the .002 piece and give you the full save folder that is named LittlePlains.

Copy that folder and put it into your regular Minecraft Saves folder. Go into the game in Singleplayer mode, and there it will be, in your list.
SPECIAL NOTE: After Lydia said she couldn't get the files to recombine, I went ahead and uploaded the entire file to my FileSharing directory here at the website. You can pick up the entire file, here:
http://www.neighborlysimscraft.com/lind ... dawing.zip

After you have downloaded it, unzip it, then put the unzipped folder (or a copy of it) into your regular Minecraft Saves folder.

You will want to read through the entire Guidelines & Discussion first post...
viewtopic.php?f=368&t=2521#p14318
...because there are some important rules there, for playing this map and then re-uploading it for someone else to be next in line. One of the differences between this type of play and multiplayer games, is that the person playing is THE player. I've told about that in the black, red, and white highlited rules. It's important that you understand what you need to do about that. :uhhuh:

If you have any questions, just post them either in this topic or the Guidelines topic. Because we're new to doing this, I'm sure we'll be having to iron some things out for a while. That's OK. We'll learn as we go. :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Little Plains--Round Robin Start--11/03/14--Linda

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 3rd, 2014, 9:02 pm

Okay, I'll give this one a go as soon as you get the files uploaded. I am checking into seeing if I can't find a file sharing site that will offer us a better way to share these files so they don't have to be broken up. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 3rd, 2014, 11:00 pm

The files were uploaded, above...they're right neart the end, after the explanation about the divided files. ;-)

Anything can be FTPed to our website. If you want, I can help you learn how to use FileZilla (a free FTP client), and create an upload folder for you, here at Neighborly SimsCraft. Just let me know. I can upload mine that way, too, but I thought that maybe others would just like to follow suit with the attachments.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 3rd, 2014, 11:32 pm

Sorry, when it said "not downloaded yet" for some reason I translated that as a message from you that the files hadn't been UPLOADED yet. :yikes:

I have no idea how I'll upload it when I'm done. I don't know how to divide files. Like I said, I'll try to find a site where I can just upload and give a link. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 4th, 2014, 1:29 am

OK...also, there's another way to divide the files.

(1) copy the saves folder to use for this, then add -Part1 to the name.

(2) Make one or two extra folders and name them the same, but ending int -Part2, and -Part 3, or however many it might take.

(3) Move enough files into the extra folders to cut the -Part 1 folder down to 12 MB or so before zipping. Then move the other files into as many folders as it takes to get the whole batch of folders and files divided fairly evenly.

(4) Zip every one of the files and upload them here as regular .zip files.

(5) When people download and unzip all the files, all they have to do is move all the stuff INSIDE the extra parts folders, back into the -Part 1 folder, then remove the -Part 1 from the folder name, and then put that folder into their own saves folder. :uhhuh:

The only problem that can come with that, is that sometimes it's hard to divide the files up manually.

I'll be glad to make you a folder to which you may upload things here, if you want, Lydia. It's a VERY easy process, that I can walk you through on the phone. Both Andrea and Patty have their own directories on the website, now. It's not hard in the least.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 4th, 2014, 1:36 am

I can't unzip these split files. I've tried both winrar and winzip. I read that with 001 files you often need HJsplit. Tried to download and install that 4 times from different places with no luck. :sob:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 4th, 2014, 1:52 am

I'm adding the link in (that I just PMed you, Lydia) for the full download (see the first post).

I don't know why it didn't work right for you. It works just fine for me, and Patty has downloaded these split-type files before, from me, and combined them using PeaZip, without a problem, too. I posed a question in my PM.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Little Plains--RR Start 1--11/03/14--Linda

Postby lindawing » November 4th, 2014, 7:10 am

From your PM, Lydia, I know that you did finally get the files combined, and that you have the save in your game, now. Nothing else has been added here, so I'm assuming you are working away in the map. ;-) I hope you're enjoying it! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 4th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Sorry. I got straight to work as soon as I was able to get into the files. :evillaugh: Will probably not post progress pics until I'm totally done with my part. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 4th, 2014, 9:08 pm

Did have a quick question: The challenge says to have "16 flying banners." The banners in the game don't fly. Does this mean you want them all outside at least? My plan had been to put them throughout the castle as decorations, but I could put them on top of the tower instead if that's what you want.
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 5th, 2014, 2:00 am

Oh...sorry...I just meant that as a figure of speech! I know they don't fly...just decorate with 16 banners, however, and wherever you like inside or outside of the castle. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 5th, 2014, 2:11 am

Also, do you know something about mushrooms that I don't. Everything I've read says that they won't grow in light over 12 and in the sunlight it's 15. Haven't been able to get it to work at all. Give me a hint if you can. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 5th, 2014, 6:28 am

Sure! They will NOT grow on plain (or grass) dirt in light conditions over 12. That's true.

You've probably already read this:

"Huge mushrooms can be grown by applying bone meal to a small red or brown mushroom that is planted on dirt, grass block, podzol or mycelium. In open daylight, it requires more bonemeal on dirt or podzol than on mycelium to grow. They require a 7×7×6 to 7×7×8 space to grow depending on their height, not counting any spaces occupied by partial blocks. The bottom-most layer (where the mushroom is placed) only requires blocks immediately adjacent to the source mushroom to be free, not counting diagonal blocks. A huge mushroom will only grow if there is sufficiently low light, or if grown on mycelium or podzol. A huge mushroom will not grow above the height limit."

There are two solutions to the growth-in-low-light-conditions thing. One is to apply the bonemeal at night. Can you think of another? It might take some temporary extra work... (My, it's shady under this big dark oak tree!)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 5th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Let me tell you the process I've already gone through in an effort to make this work and then we'll go from there. Since it wouldn't let me even place a mushroom on the mountain because of the light (yes, even at night since the game knew that that block would be in sunlight), I decided to trick the mushroom. I built a little dirt hut with no windows and then placed the mushroom. But as soon as I started removing the walls so the mushroom would have room to grow, the mushroom would pop right off the block as if I were harvesting it. I tried putting tons of bonemeal on the mushroom with the blocks around it but the top removed, but that didn't work (probably because I didn't have the area as large as 7x7). I will go back and build a dirt hut that is 8x8 (leaving 7x7 clear in the middle) and then take the top off and try to see if I can then add bonemeal at that point. ;-)

If not, I can try your oak tree idea, but that will take some work to get it far enough away and high enough not to bother the mushroom. But don't worry, if it's at all possible, I will do the challenge. :hi:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 5th, 2014, 7:44 pm

The larger dirt hut worked. I just left the sides in place since they were outside the boundaries of the mushroom growth area and I just removed the top once I could plant a mushroom. Then I hit it with lots of bonemeal and poof! You'll see pics later. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Our Round-Robin Games