Guidelines & Discussion--Updated 11/07/14

This is a public forum. Multiplayer games are great fun, but not everyone can be online at the same time, and many times we just end up playing by ourselves, anyway, using bandwidth, and paying for a server. We have decided to try doing some Round-Robin games, to see how it might work out. Take a look to see what we've come up with. Anyone may add one, at any time.

Guidelines & Discussion--Updated 11/07/14

Postby lindawing » November 3rd, 2014, 6:36 am

This is something new we're trying, so the "rules" might change as we get more used to the format. Before downloading any round-robin game, be sure you check back here to see if anything has changed. Thanks!

MAP CREATORS...
(1) To start a round-robin MC game, create a singleplayer Survival world, with cheats turned on, in your own game. If you spawn in water, move out of the water and reset the world spawn (/setworldspawn).

(2) Make a communal area. It doesn't have to be complicated or fancy...just make a secure, fair-sized warehouse with supply chests which can be labeled as they're filled (where you may leave some extra supplies if you like--or not--depending on how it works out for you) and a basic crafting area, somewhere within a 100x100 block of the original (or reset) world spawn point. Be sure you also add (in the warehouse) at least four "startup" chests inside the warehouse (marked with a sign) for players to use when they first pick up the world. Those chests should each have a full set of basic wooden tools, and 12 torches. After that, it's up to the players to gather what else they will need.

(3) Make your own (no more than 100x100) home "lot" somewhere within 100 blocks of any edge or corner of the communal area block.

(4) Somewhere out about 200-400 blocks from any edge or corner of the communal area, create a single challenge that is contained within a 100x100 block area (it can be smaller, but not larger). If you map out the area with a boundary of torches & corner signs before you actually set the challenge, it will help when posting the parameters. A challenge should contain at least two elements: (a) something to build that may be a little more difficult than just a simple shelter and/or a farm; (b) something to find, that is hidden. You may add more elements, but you must give at least one hint for everything that needs to be accomplished in the challenge, when you post. Nothing in your challenge should contain anything that MUST be found in the Creative inventory--unless a command block is necessary for the player to use, which you would have to specify in your post. It would be better for you to use your own command blocks when creating, as creating MAY be done in Creative if you like--entirely up to you. As I well know, from one of Lydia's prior challenge creations, command blocks can be used to throw a player all over the place! :evillaugh:

(5) All those block measurements are approximate, and don't have to be followed to the letter. Stay close, though, so that we don't just get too spread out to far, too soon. The further out the map goes, the bigger the file will be, for trading back and forth. So keep your exploring to a minimum at first, too. :uhhuh: As the map gets filled up with stuff from other people, it should grow outwards in a "circle," basically...not just all in one direction. The center should always remain pretty much the center. It's never going to be exact, but let's try to keep it balanced.
(6) THIS STEP IS VERY IMPORTANT!!! When you have everything done that you want to have done, you MUST go to the warehouse and put your inventory into your own named chest there (when you pick up a starting chest, be sure to change the sign to your own name). This is because this is NOT a multiplayer game! When you log in, you are going to be the ONLY player. If one player leaves his inventory full, the next player will look as expected, and be the correct name, BUT...will be in the place where the previous player left off, with the previous player's inventory! So REMEMBER...when done and ready to pass the map on, go to the warehouse and empty your inventory before quitting the map.

(7) This brings up another important point, which there isn't a way around. Once a bed is slept in, it becomes THE player's spawn point. We can work around this. While YOU are playing, you may sleep in your own bed, in your own home. However, ONCE YOU ARE READY TO PASS ON THE GAME, after you have emptied your inventory, GO TO THE BED IN THE WAREHOUSE, and sleep in it! DON'T LEAVE THE GAME UNTIL YOU POP OUT OF THE BED. This means you will have to be sure to quit at night, and that the next player will ALWAYS come into the game, in the morning, right next to the warehouse bed, then go pick up the proper inventory from the named chest.

(8) When you're ready to post your map, be sure you have it named what you want, then open a new topic in this forum. Name the topic the same as the map name.

(9) Tell us about it. Post coords and at least one picture for anything already built on the map--including the warehouse, your home, and the entrance to the challenge you pose.

(10) State your challenge. Give some clues, but not too many, about hidden objects. People need to know WHAT it is they're looking for (at least a good description of it), at least. ;-) Don't just say, "I've hidden something...blah blah blah." :ohoh:

(11) Zip up your save, and post it here. We may have to resort to posting maps on different sites if they get too big, but at first, they should be able to just be attached here. You can attach a file up to 15 MB (at least I can). You might get by with bigger files, with faster internet speeds. I have satellite lag. ;-)

NEXT IN LINE...
(1) When you pick up a map to play, you don't HAVE to let us know, here, if you don't plan to re-upload it for another player to chime in later. Feel free to just use these maps as starts, and build for yourself from what the first player did.

(2) If you do plan to re-upload it with another session done, please post that you have downloaded the map, and that you are now taking your turn! No map should OFFICIALLY be being worked on at the same time, by more than one person. That could just get way, way too confusing--for now, at least. Let's figure out how to do it one rotation at a time, before we get any more complicated. :uhhuh: We changed our minds (11/07/14)! This is too much fun to confine the maps to having to only be used by one person at a time. If you want to download a start map, please feel free. You could then share it here as an alternate version for someone else to play, or you could just continue to watch for new challenges, and do them all in your own game, without ever having to upload anything here. Just have fun!!! :uhhuh:

(3) All turns should be constrained to no more than two weeks. If you need longer, please post that you will be delayed a bit in re-posting. :uhhuh:

(4) If you thought you were going to re-upload, then decide you can't, for whatever reason, please also post, just so we know.

(5) If you have already worked on a map once, you may again, as long as you don't take two turns in a row. ;-)

(6) If you haven't yet created a home on the map, you need to do that. After that, you have two other things to do: (a) complete the challenge issued before you; and (b) create a challenge for the next player.

(7) Use the (very loose) guidelines from the "Map Creators" section, above, for these things, regarding placement and posting.

(8) If you need to make changes to the Warehouse (such as labeling the signs for the chests, adding more chests, fixing things if a creeper should happen to drop by unexpectedly, adding more space, decorating, etc., etc., etc., please feel free to do so. Everyone shares in that part, and it's OK to make changes.

(9) Do NOT change anything in another player's home space, unless they have said there is something you may change or may use, or perhaps they have asked you to continue with that area in their own issued challenge. Otherwise, private areas are just that. Be honest...don't borrow, either...unless you've been told it's OK! :yeah:

(10) Oh! I almost forgot. Play the map in YOUR game, on any difficulty you prefer! If you never want to leave Peaceful, that's OK. If you play on harder difficulties, just be sure you repair any damage that may happen, in the community area, or in a private area, if you get too close!!! If nothing else, at least put a fence around anything damaged!!! Stuff happens. We all know that, but do your best to repair damages. (11/07/14) If a challenge says you need to teleport to a set of coords, you do NOT need to teleport if you'd rather not. Just walk or run there. That's entirely up to you!

(11) If you want to play in Creative, please feel free to do so. I just don't want anyone to be FORCED to do so, if they don't want to. The point is to have fun with the map. Whether or not you gather your resources or get them from the Creative inventory is not going to harm the map, either way. There is plenty to go around, and it's no skin off anyone's back, if you would rather just build, without gathering.
(12) BE SURE TO READ RULES 6 & 7 ABOVE.

(13) If you do use stuff from the community warehouse, please try to replace it and donate more things for someone else to use in a pinch.

(14) If you should happen to pick up a map and someone has forgotten to change out their inventory and sleep in the warehouse bed, just put their stuff into a new chest wherever they stopped, and then get yourself over to the warehous to get your startup stuff or your own inventory from before. Then remember Rules 6 & 7 in the first part of this post and Rule 12 in the second part, when YOU quit. :evillaugh: Thanks!

(15) When you've finished with the issued challenge and issued a new challenge (and made your home, if you were in for the first time), zip up the save folder again, and re-upload it here (or elsewhere, with a link). Be sure to post coords and pictures of the new things you did, so the next person will know where to find them.

OK...that pretty much sums it up, I think. We can change things here as we go along, if we need to.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Guidelines & Discussion

Postby psychedelicsim » November 3rd, 2014, 1:03 pm

This sounds like it will be lots of fun! I will definitely participate. :joy:

Just posting this here so everyone knows, my work schedule is Tuesday-Friday, 6am-4pm. The majority of my game play time will be Saturday, Sunday and Monday with occasional weekday evenings thrown in. Sometimes I might need more than 2 weeks, but I'll be sure to let you all know ahead of time. ;-)
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 3rd, 2014, 11:11 pm

No problem at all, Carrie! As long as we know that someone is still working on a map, it can take as long as necessary. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 3rd, 2014, 11:28 pm

I would think if we could get several of these maps going at the same time then everyone would have a map to work on and wouldn't be waiting for someone else to finish. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 4th, 2014, 1:29 am

Absolutely! That's exactly what I was thinking. I think Carrie is going to upload hers, and I'm going to start up another one tonight, from one of the seeds I started the other night. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » November 4th, 2014, 1:45 am

Yes, I will definitely upload mine. I need to finish a few things first though. ;-)
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 4th, 2014, 1:51 am

Hooray! :hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 5th, 2014, 7:55 am

Lydia--Here are some places you could upload files to, to link back here for download:

Amazon Cloud Drive: (This is Cloud DRIVE...not the business cloud thing.)
https://www.amazon.com/clouddrive/prici ... navpricing

That's the pricing page. I'm not sure if you have to have a Prime account or not, but it doesn't sound like it...just have an account with them, in general. If so, you get 5 GB free, with a 250 MB file size limit.

I just tried it out with mine (which I have never used before, but I have Prime. I just logged in with my account log-in and there it was. It was very easy! I uploaded my latest RR file that I just shared tonight, and it went VERY quickly. Once you upload the file, you click on it and then click SHARE, and it gives you a link. when you share the link (here or elsewhere), anyone can go there, click on the file, then click Download, and voila! it's done!

BOX...
https://www.box.com/pricing/

This has 10 GB of storage, with up to 250 MB file sizes, for free.

MediaFire...
http://www.mediafire.com/

Again--10 GB of storage on the Basic (free) plan. I don't know about the file sizes, but I know I've downloaded whole TS3 worlds from there--some of them close to 150 MB! So you should be able to share Minecraft maps there.

We may only be able to share these maps digitally three or four times, anyway--depending on how fast they grow. My latest one only started out at 9.6 MB, which is much smaller than the other two...possibly because I didn't explore as far out.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 5th, 2014, 8:05 am

Or, as I mentioned before, you can download FileZilla, which is a totally free FTP client. (You'd get the CLIENT, not the server, from this link):
https://filezilla-project.org/

It's a quick download, an equally-quick install, and I can set you up with a folder of your own at Neighborly SimsCraft, and you may use it for whatever you'd like to share, at any time. There are no file-size limits for FTPing directly, and no space limits. For as long as we have the site, you'd have that space to use, and then give others the links to download things (game maps, photos, documents, or whatever).

Once you have it installed and your folder is set up (You'd be FaithfulApostle, and I'd need a special password from you for it, or I could just issue you one--up to you), then I could call you or you could call me, and I'd help you through the first upload. It's very easy--basically the same as attaching things here. You find it in your own computer on the left side of the window, then you pinpoint your own directory (to which you may add subdirectories on your own, or I could add them for you, or you don't have to subdivide it at all) on the right side of the window, then you right-click the file on the left side and tell it to upload, and away it goes!

If you decide to go that way, I'll explain how the address works for linking. All you have to do is let me know, and I'll get you going. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Guidelines & Discussion--Updated 11/07/14

Postby lindawing » November 8th, 2014, 2:31 am

Commenting, first, on the post just above. Lydia now has Core FTP. We discovered that FileZilla now has an application built in to install with their software, that neither of us wants, and there doesn't seem to be a choice about installing it! We checked out Coffee Cup FTP, and I didn't like the way it worked, so I found Core FTP, and it's good. If any of you want a directory of your own, here, to which you may upload larger files, be sure to let us know, and either Carrie or I can set you up in probably about an hour or less--depending on circumstances at the time. :uhhuh:

Regarding the UPDATED guidelines...check out the first post!
viewtopic.php?f=368&t=2521&p=14318#p14318

I made major changes in a different color, and dated them. If other changes are made, later, I'll make yet a different color, and date them, the same way. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Guidelines & Discussion--Updated 11/07/14

Postby lindawing » November 15th, 2014, 3:39 am

I just posted a new topic in the tutorials section...A Few "Did You Knows"
viewtopic.php?f=245&t=2548&p=14701#p14701
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Our Round-Robin Games