Nov. 12, 2015--SPECIAL ORIGIN UPDATE

Heard any news or rumors about what's happening to TS3? Please help us keep informed.

Nov. 12, 2015--SPECIAL ORIGIN UPDATE

Postby lindawing » November 12th, 2015, 1:53 am

I got my Origin update today (Nov. 11), but didn't realize there would be anything else related to it. Pierre just let me know about these things:

(EDITED to fix the links)

http://help.ea.com/en/article/new-launc ... he-sims-3/

http://forums.thesims.com/en_US/discuss ... s-3#latest

I'm going to get that Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager, for sure! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Nov. 12, 2015--SPECIAL ORIGIN UPDATE

Postby BujoGamer1971 » November 12th, 2015, 9:07 pm

lindawing wrote:I got my Origin update today (Nov. 11), but didn't realize there would be anything else related to it. Pierre just let me know about these things:

I'm going to get that Expansion and Stuff Pack Manager, for sure! :uhhuh:

Odd I got page not found when I clicked on both links.
BujoGamer1971
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » November 12th, 2015, 11:28 pm

Oops! I copied the foreshortened links Pierre sent me.

I just followed his links again, and am now pasting ORIGINAL links (I'll also fix the first post):

lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BujoGamer1971 » November 14th, 2015, 1:46 am

lindawing wrote:Oops! I copied the foreshortened links Pierre sent me.

I just followed his links again, and am now pasting ORIGINAL links (I'll also fix the first post):

Awesome! Works now :)
BujoGamer1971
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » November 14th, 2015, 2:15 am

Good!

For anyone who hasn't gotten it yet, you will have nothing special show up...no new shortcut or anything. You just get the change in your usual Launcher. It shows the EPs & SPs in a new list, and (be sure to back up your files first, of course), you can then begin choosing which ones you want to use at any given time.

I would suggest renaming your ALL games game files to something like "The Sims 3--All," then allowing the game to make a new set of files for whatever combo you decide to use next.

Let's say you use just the Base Game and Pets. Once the game has made the new set of files and you have built and/or played for a while and want to switch to another combo, or go back to your "All" set, save, then exit, then go find that new game file and rename IT, to something like "The Sims 3--BG-Pets." Just use something that lets you know which EPs and/or SPs you used to play in that particular set of game files.

If you do that each time, then you can go back and forth with ease--never losing anything you built in one combo or another. :uhhuh:

If you'd just like to play ALL of your games in a different combo, then make a complete copy of your ALL folder, then rename it to the combo you'll be using. That way you'll have all your worlds that you had before, and you will see the effect of downgrading to whatever EPs and SPs you chose, so you can then re-save any particular lots you want, and identify them to show that combo in the file name.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » November 14th, 2015, 4:40 am

It is interesting. Bad timing for me because I don't have time to mess with it. I did the update. My launcher at least recognizes that I have all the EPs along with the sps I do have; however, since I am still 2 entities with EA, it's just so strange ... there's a price on the ones belonging to me as OkieOK01 when I am signed in as OkieMelody and vice versa. But at least the launcher knows who I am, even if EA doesn't, so I'm hoping this change hasn't messed it up where, no matter who I'm signed in as, it still works as all the games.

Maybe next year, when I'm not so busy, I'll have time to check that all out. It seems complicated, except, unless, one just wants to start fresh and go from beginning to end? They should have just set it up the way they did Sims 2. But, I do like choices. Next year ....

(I wonder if the shortcut we use to by-pass the launcher still works?) I didn't and won't have time to check that out, either. :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 14th, 2015, 5:48 am

Yes...the shortcut still works. I did it. There is that, thankfully.

You might want to (when you have a small amount of time to try it) make a full backup of your game folder, then go ahead and try the launcher, because if it wants you to buy the ones that it doesn't think you have (whichever way you log in), then it probably wouldn't show the content in your already-saved lots, depending on which way you are logged it! Silly EA!!!

If that happens, then you would know that you probably want to do a system restore to right before you did the game update, so you don't have to worry about it! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » November 14th, 2015, 2:39 pm

That would be a bummer! Especially since I love this idea and would be one of those that would want to play from beginning to end. (And the fact that I've already quickly gone into it without taking the time to save my files somewhere else - rush job... (sigh); I do, however, have a recent backup of it all - thank goodness. :evillaugh: ); Also, playing from beginning to end would help me determine where it all went wrong and for sure if I want to just forget the ones that have the most irritating features - like that Weather Stone, all the glitches that came with Island Paradise (although I love that Island!); as well as the last one - Into the Future. There are a few aspects I do like about that one and at least when it throws that silly transporter into our Sims front yard, it can be deleted, put in their pocket and even placed somewhere more appropriate. The weather stone .... not so much. :evillaugh: :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » November 14th, 2015, 4:48 pm

I just wanted to post that I did take a moment this morning and checked my existing game saves and the only one that has yesterday's date on it, is the world I played yesterday for a quick look-see. I chose to play a new world when I wanted to just see what if. That tells me, the dates on my other saves which were all differing worlds, as I set them up; when I play them again, they should be just as I set them up originally. I know this is confusing, but, I think as long as you don't play your existing worlds you've created prior to the update, and you want to try playing without some ep's or whatever, as long as you change the name of your world you are playing, or use a "new" world, it won't over-write your existing worlds. That makes it much easier and less confusing than having to set-up all new game folders each time you play choosing different ep's (you only need the one and original game folder).

I hope to get an opportunity later today to make sure with this update it hasn't take anything away from me because of my unique problem of being two entities within Origin. :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » November 14th, 2015, 4:54 pm

lindawing wrote:You might want to (when you have a small amount of time to try it) make a full backup of your game folder, then go ahead and try the launcher, because if it wants you to buy the ones that it doesn't think you have (whichever way you log in), then it probably wouldn't show the content in your already-saved lots, depending on which way you are logged it! Silly EA!!!

If that happens, then you would know that you probably want to do a system restore to right before you did the game update, so you don't have to worry about it! :uhhuh:

What is unsettling about the whole thing is the launcher itself knows I have all of the eps and which sps I have and don't have (as can be checked at the bottom of the launcher); however, within that new tab, there are prices on all those I purchased as OkieOK01 when I am logged in as OkieMelody and vice versa. I guess only the computer knows for sure.... :yeah: When I have a chance I will definitely check that out! After I do a complete new save... :evillaugh: Hope I remember!! :doh:

Also - EA needs to get a grip. I purchased the original gamepack as OkieOK01. I didn't turn into OkieMelody, until the Origin business and only the last several ep's were purchased as OkieMelody and no sp's at that time. I wouldn't even be able to play the game without the base as OkieMelody, so come on! If they can recognize I must have the base game, then ... hello!!
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 14th, 2015, 10:09 pm

I agree about them getting a grip. It's SO stupid that they have never been able to rectify this for you!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » November 14th, 2015, 10:23 pm

I must have used the wrong icon for going directly into the game and bypassing the launcher, because it required me to sign into Origin and then the new launcher has come up. :doh: :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 15th, 2015, 2:34 am

:doh: You're right! I hadn't thought about that when I wrote that it still worked. Yes...darn it...it DOES work, but it DOES take you into Origin, and then you go through the Launcher. :doh:

Silly me!

I guess they figure we've all gotten used to Origin by now, so they might as well go for it, with TS3, by sneaking that "any game chooser" in on us that way. Sigh.

Actually, I am OK with it working that way, as long as it DOES work. For me, the Launcher has never worked correctly to bring up the game reliably, before. Sometimes it would, and sometimes it wouldn't, so I always just used my shortcut to the latest game .exe file.

Also, who knows if I'll ever actually get back into the game to build or play there. If I do (yes, EA, you tagged me), I AM so used to it being up, now, with TS4 (since we moved here where I CAN have it up and online), that obviously it didn't even really phase me! (sigh)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » November 15th, 2015, 3:25 am

:friends: Sly devils, aren't they? :doh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 15th, 2015, 6:07 am

Yes, they are! :evillaugh: