Something Odd Happened

Heard any news or rumors about what's happening to TS3? Please help us keep informed.

Something Odd Happened

Postby MelodyOkie » July 24th, 2015, 9:32 pm

And I was totally busy. I was just finishing up a build for TS4. I had gotten out of the game but had not closed out Origin. I was working on the pictures to upload here, when a notice came up from Origin that a problem was detected with my game and I should click fix errors so that Origin could fix the errors. Then Origin proceeded to uninstall my Sims 3 University!! What??? OK, so once I finished what I was doing, I checked and sure enough, my Sims 3 University was uninstalled? What? Well - I have no idea what that was about or why it happened, but now, once I've finished uploading my Sims 4 build, I guess I'll go install my Sims 3 University.... :doh: :ohoh: :questionmark:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Something Odd Happened

Postby lindawing » July 24th, 2015, 9:52 pm

What in the world? Hope everything is reinstalled, now, and working well!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 24th, 2015, 10:37 pm

Nope! When I went to reinstall from my disk - it brought up origin which proceeded to not only uninstall it again, but uninstalled Seasons as well. I don't know what they are doing, but they are not making me a happy camper!! I have uninstalled all of Sims 3 now and in the process of reinstalling. I guess they probably erased all my stuff when it uninstalled University the first go round ... so I don't know. This is just so not good! :doh: :doh: :doh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 25th, 2015, 6:12 am

By "stuff," you mean all your store items, right? Yikes!

At least your saved games should all be there, in your game files, unless you had those deleted when you uninstalled everything else!

That is just totally weird that that started happening!

Did it just happen without you even going into TS3, or did you start to go in the game and Origin did its thing? I'm afraid to even test mine out, now!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 25th, 2015, 1:58 pm

Actually, by "stuff" - I meant everything I had done in the game to that point, including all of my creations as well as all the worlds we had created, games, etc. everything (and yes - all my store items as well). :uhhuh:

No - when it removed (uninstalled) University, it uninstalled everything that went along with it ... including my saved games, etc. Then when it proceeded to uninstall Seasons ... yikes :ohno:

Before I was furious and just decided to uninstall it all, I did pull my folder to the desk top ... have no idea what is there anymore, but at least there might be something I can salvage from it ... we'll see.

Meanwhile - I'm starting over ... in the process of reinstalling and that will take some time; also reinstalling some of my store purchases at the same time as I go along...

No - I was not in my Sims 3 Game at all - and had not been in Sims 3 at all for quite some time, because I've been creating for Sims 4. I had just gotten out of Sims 4 and was working on the pictures I had taken for my build I had just completed in Sims 4, when that came up from Origin. I thought there was a problem with the Sims 4 files/game ... but then I get the notice that it is uninstalling Sims 3 University!! That's just crazy!! Then when I go into my account at Origin and click for it to reinstall University - instead it uninstalls Sims 3 Seasons as well!! I am at a loss as to why all of this has happened.

The last time I was in Sims 3 it worked wonderfully. I loved how quickly it loaded and smoothly the game played.
There was absolutely nothing wrong with my Sims 3 game. None of this makes any sense whatsoever. :rolleyes:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » July 25th, 2015, 5:55 pm

What on earth! So sorry this has happened to you :friends:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 25th, 2015, 6:51 pm

Pierre found out that it was the Origin update (the one from the other day, I assume) that is the problem. It's happened to others, too.

The problem only happens if you have your games set to automatically update.

Thankfully, I always keep that setting at NEVER update for my games (I always update them manually, once I know an update is available). I allow Origin to update itself, but that's all. I only do that, because Origin can be rolled back to its prior state if an update messes things up. However, in this case, rolling it back wouldn't help you.

Since you're reinstalling, you will need to go into the Origin settings and make sure that it is set to NOT allow game updates automatically. Otherwise, the cycle will begin again once you get to University, I would imagine.

Had you made any type of recent backup of your TS3 games folder at all?

I always back mine up before doing the manual update, and never update until that backup is complete. I'm hoping that you at least made a backup at some point--hopefully not too far back. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 25th, 2015, 6:52 pm

At least all of your creations are posted here, if nothing else, right?
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 25th, 2015, 7:13 pm

I backed up my game TS3 game folder last night, so it's safe.

I just discovered that there IS a new Origin update today, so I went ahead and let it update. Because I have the automatic update for games UN-clicked, everything is fine.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 25th, 2015, 7:29 pm

I pulled the entire EA folder out to my desktop before I uninstalled it all. That is all I have. I had no reason to back-up before. My game was perfect and there weren't going to be any changes made to it - it was working great. Who knew Origin would do something like that. And it came up when I was working with TS4 - I had no idea it was going to mess about with my TS3. That's just crazy!! Idiots!!

Well, I've reinstalled it all. I need my automatic updates, especially when it comes to TS4, so no, I won't be turning that off. However, I will never let it "fix" anything again. I've learned it never "fixes" anything anyway - it just destroys!!

Now that I've got it all back again, the real work begins - getting my store stuff. The store seemed to be closed today... :uhuh: (sigh) As far as my stuff, I always have my creations on my computer. Even when I upload them elsewhere, they are always in a file on my computer. I just wish I didn't have so much of it!! It will take a life time to get it all back into the game again. (sigh) So - I'll only add the important stuff back in and the rest of it I'll probably never use anyway.... :uhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » July 25th, 2015, 8:59 pm

I'm so sorry, Melody! :friends:

What a strange thing to happen! I'm glad you were able to get everything reinstalled, but I wish you wouldn't have had to go through that. :ohno:

:hug-group-5y:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 25th, 2015, 9:14 pm

I learned a long time ago, with TS1, that there is never a time when I don't need a backup. I've been making full backups, regularly, ever since then, and have had to use them for one reason or another, all down the line.

Of course, Murphy's Law makes it so that the one time you DON'T back up for a while, that's the time something BIG happens. At least I always have a backup that's from a month or so back, and not back forever...in all of my games (not just EA). I back EVERYTHING up. :uhhuh:

Why do you need your automatic updates for TS4? Origin will always tell you if there's an update available. Then you back up your files and run the update.

I start my game, every time, through Origin. I have it set to turn Origin off when I quit the game. So then when I want to play, I start Origin. That's when I see if there's an update for TS4 (or any other EA game that I have). So I don't actually go into the game before I do my backup, if I see that there's an update. I do the backup first, then go back and run the update, then play. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 25th, 2015, 9:52 pm

Ahhh - well, that's just me. I prefer automatic updates rather than having to do it any other way. It's just easier.

I did have a back-up but once we moved on to 4 I didn't mess around with backing up 3 anymore. No need. I had moved on to 4. :grin: Origin is not supposed to be messing around with 3. :rolleyes: Whatever for? This was not supposed to happen. Goes to show - EA, Origin, all stinks to high heaven and back again. I sure didn't expect them to mess with 3. Did you? I have learned not to let them "fix" anything, though. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 26th, 2015, 12:19 am

Nope...entirely not expected. Who knows what someone was thinking, with them! :uhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » July 26th, 2015, 12:26 am

Well, I guess, on the bright side - it's given me something to do (granted nothing I wanted to do :evillaugh: ) and it sure has kept me busy today. Also, it's good to have a "clean" go at it and I've been able to leave out some of my mistakes in purchases ... :evillaugh: I also know not to trust Origin as well as EA when they decide to mess around on my computer ... it's disconcerting. :uhhuh:
:friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to TS3 News & Rumors