City Living

In this public forum, please feel free to post an of the things you have learned about the mechanics of TS4, that you think others would like to know, too.

City Living

Postby lindawing » November 1st, 2016, 9:07 am

It's 12:19 AM on November 1, 2016, and I have downloaded and installed the new City Living EP for The Sims 4.

I'm doing the first thing I do with every new world we get...revamping my Empty Slots save. As soon as I finish doing that, I'll upload the new version of the map

I just learned about the new bb.enablefreebuild cheat for changing out the entire apartment look--even adding new rooms. You can't change the available space or add new apartments or anything, and it won't let me change the traits already assigned (thought there may be another cheat for that...the only cheat known, evidently, right at this moment, is the one, that at least allows me to change the NAME of the apartment (though not the apartment building), and everything else about except as just mentioned.

Along with the new things that came with the 10/27/16 patch, when you go into San Myshuno and click on an apartment building, you get a MINI map, which clearly shows you the apartments inside. Then you have to pick which one you want to work with or play. It works very quickly, and seems to be a well-done menu.

So...going back into the Culpepper Apartments to take out (make empty) the other two apartments. There is still a communal area that can't be changed. I'm hoping there will be yet another cheat that will allow that to be at least moderately changed. It's just a hallway with a few socialization things.

OK...OK...going...

Putting this down on "paper," now, so I won't forget. To EMPTY an apartment, click on the world map, click on the apartment BUILDING, then click on the apartment you want to empty. Use the bulldozer, and it will be completely emptied. In at least one case, the exterior wall was removed, because there was a fenced balcony on the outside.

THEN...bulldozing doesn't remove the wall coverings! So...use the wall textures and replace all wall textures with the Drywall texture. In the case of the apartment that had the fenced balcony, I picked up the brick texture from the outside of the apartment, and just retextured the formerly-interior walls with that. So...the exterior wall textures CAN'T be changed, but you CAN copy their textures to put onto interior walls.

Back to work...

Just a few more things I discovered...

(1) There are three penthouse apartments (right on the rooftops, where you can build actual houses, at least two-stories tall, I believe (not actually sure about that, but I think so). When you DELETE any penthouse using the bulldozer, you will be told you can't leave build/buy unless you replace three items: the apartment elevator, the apartment mailbox, and the apartment trash chute. The easiest way I found to get rid of everything else, was to empty one room area to get the bare floor, then put in a 2x3 room that you won't delete. Put the mailbox and the trash chute on the outside of it and put the elevator on the inside of it (you'll find the three items right there in the existing lot, though I'm assuming you can also find them in the build/buy catalog).

(2) There is one set of 2-story apartments. When I emptied them for the Empty Lots (Slot A) world, I named them both "EMPTY (2-STORY)" because I went ahead and closed the open, overview flooring of the top floors of both of the apartments. That way, if someone wants to build there, they should realize that there are both bottom and top floors to deal with. There's a little slider in the mini-map view, to show that very thing.

(3) There is a Central Park special lot (like the chalet, ruins, and bluff lots in Windenburg), that can't have anything changed except the build itself and the name. All its traits and evidently secrets to find remain the way they were.

(4) In the historical lots there is a plaque that you can't remove. In the Fixer-Upper lots (that's not the right name, but you'll see what I mean), there are things that can't be removed, either, and the flirty lots won't let you remove the fireplace. Now, in lots in other worlds, or in a few of the San Myshuno lots where the traits aren't already fixed, those things won't even appear, and thus not removing them isn't a problem. They go with the traits.

I think there was a (5), but now I can't think of it.

At any rate, I've zipped the Empty Lots world, and I've updated its thread in the TS4 area.

viewtopic.php?f=362&t=2470&p=13597#p13597
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: City Living

Postby MelodyOkie » November 1st, 2016, 1:09 pm

Great - not only does it sound a bit complicated; but it sounds like we will be so limited on what we can do when it comes to creating our own. I may be misunderstanding (because at my age, my impatience to scan rather than read causes me to misunderstand things ... sigh); but it sounds like we can not build our own from scratch apartments? So those faux apartments we've created for the game can not now be changed to real apartments? Am I getting that right? (sigh) - always, always so disappointing, this game anymore. (sigh)
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 1st, 2016, 3:50 pm

Yes...that's correct. That part I did know going in. That doesn't bother me, because I expected it. I don't even mind that some, not all, of them can't have one or two of their traits changed, because that kind of gives me the challenge of doing a better job with matching that than the EA builders (which isn't that hard). :lol:

What I don't like is the hesitation step. There's just no reason for it. As far as I'm concerned, it's just plain sloppy programming, and it should not be occurring. So, unfortunately, that's really a spoiler for me.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » November 1st, 2016, 7:46 pm

And it seems we all get to enjoy the glitches and get them whether we purchase the ep or not; because just like always - good old EA furnishes those little (expletives) to us in a patch prior to the ep's release. (sigh) :uhhuh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 1st, 2016, 8:57 pm

Yes...sigh...
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS4 Tutorial, Tips, Tricks, & Help