How to Sub In Your Own Career Buildings (GTW)

In this public forum, please feel free to post an of the things you have learned about the mechanics of TS4, that you think others would like to know, too.

How to Sub In Your Own Career Buildings (GTW)

Postby lindawing » April 11th, 2015, 7:32 am

This may or may not work. For me, it was working great for quite some time, then things started getting messed up, right after I uploaded my new lot here, and to the gallery...sigh. So...read through my description at the link for the new lot, and have fun with it in the regular world, or give it a try as a replacement. Good luck!

There are two ways you can build your replacement career lots:

(1) Build the entire lot in a saved world. You'll have to find all the parts. Some are found through bb.showhiddenobjects. Some are unlocked career rewards. None of the objects needed for the career tasks to be done are reward objects, but some are debug objects. When you're done, save the lot to your library. It can be any type of lot. It won't matter, when you pick it up to place it.

(2) Take your Sim to work in his profession (detective, doctor, or scientist). Pause the play, then bring up the command console. Type in bb.showhiddenobjects. Then type in bb.enablefreebuild. Then enter build mode, and proceed as usual. In the function mode of the build/buy menu, you can choose the bottom line, which will be "Police Station Items." You can set aside the task objects and then delete the entire building, or you can just alter the building the way you want and move things around, recolor, or whatever you want. When you've finished, saved the lot to your library. It will save as a residence. Then that building can be shared with others.

To USE a replacement building, if you did (2), above, you can just keep playing and saving your world, and you don't have to do anything else.

If you are replacing the entire building with a saved lot that you made in (1), above, or if you downloaded one from somewhere else, you have to take your Sim to work in his profession. Pause the play, then bring up the command console. Type in bb.showhiddenobjects. Then type in bb.enablefreebuild. Then enter build/buy mode. When there, save a copy of the existing police station to your library. Then open your library, and choose to replace the existing lot with the one you made or downloaded earlier.

Hopefully it will place correctly. Depending on where it was created in the world, it might need to be turned around using the new move tool, and hopefully that will work correctly without leaving furniture in the wrong places. :-(

Once you have the lot placed correctly, you can go ahead and play. If you test things out before you save, you can easily go back if things don't work right, by just going to the main menu without saving. If the career items work as they should, then you're pretty much home free. Play as usual.

I have found that the whole system (for detectives, at least) is pretty glitchy at this point. No matter if you use the default station or make a replacement one and then use it, there are going to be things that simply don't work when they are supposed to.

Thankfully, you can pretty much force your way through the promotions, and it should actually go a lot faster than leveling a Sim up in the original careers, because you have more control over the system. If you can't do something on the list of things your Sim is supposed to do during the regulated work period, just do something related while at work. For detectives, you can always take them on patrol, from what I've found. That clears the queue, and you can gain points for the day by doing the patrol stuff. Then when you finally go back to the station, there will be new things to do, in the queue. As long as you can keep your green bar going up during the work day, you should be promoted every few days, without a problem, and the money keeps going up, as well.

As long as your new building has placed correctly on the lot, and as long as the skill items are in place, then you should be able to take your Sim right to the top of his new career. It might take a bit longer if some of the objectives have to be bypassed, but it can be done.

I'm sure EA will fix at least some of the glitchiness, over time. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to Sub In Your Own Career Buildings (GTW)

Postby MelodyOkie » April 11th, 2015, 1:31 pm

I'm going to build my own police station - but at this point and with all the glitchiness, etc. I'm just going to have one for looks - one I can see when I am in my game without having to send my sim off to work to do it. I think it will be fun to have a Jailhouse for my Sims to visit!! :uhhuh: And one day, but probably not - really don't expect it anyway - maybe EA will correct their mistakes and fix their errors and take care of all the glitches where the game works properly - but I doubt it; but if that miracle happens - then I will tag it for what it is.... :uhhuh:

It sounds to me that EA did not do a good job creating this EP. It makes me want to go back to TS3!! I loved, loved the Investigator career in TS3 - which sounds like what they tried to do with this EP, but have failed. (sigh) :uhhuh: I'm sure we all can still have some fun with it, though - to a point. :yeah:

:friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » April 11th, 2015, 9:45 pm

Having one for looks is fun, and some of the things can be done. I really do think making the police station into a museum would work quite well. All ages could visit it and have fun with the stuff in it...it would be like a school tour for the kiddies. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » April 11th, 2015, 11:04 pm

:uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS4 Tutorial, Tips, Tricks, & Help