How to Upload (and/or Download & Use) a TS4 Saved World

In this public forum, please feel free to post an of the things you have learned about the mechanics of TS4, that you think others would like to know, too.

How to Upload (and/or Download & Use) a TS4 Saved World

Postby lindawing » October 13th, 2014, 3:21 am

If you've finished a completely redone TS4 world (with all your own or your own team's special lots--with NO EA lots involved), you can save it then zip up the files and share it with others. Yes! You can!

In this forum, you can share a .zip file up to 15 MB in size. Over that, and you'll have to upload the file somewhere else and then link to it here. We're not supposed to have any file-size limits, but it seems that the forum times itself out something over 15 MB is attempted.

The process of saving for uploading goes like this...

(1) First of all, you should save your world in a way that keeps your progress as you're building. When you're completely done (and be sure you've done all of your lots the way you want them), go into Household Management, and remove any Sims you do NOT want going with your world. Be sure all the Sims that you DO want in your world are there. If you need help with either of those things, please e-mail me at lindawing@neighborlysimscraft.com, and I'll make a tutorial about doing that.

(2) Once you're sure your world is just how you want it, for others to download and enjoy, then use the SAVE AS function, and save it with a name that refers to the name of the world. There will not be enough room to actually name the save the same as the world, more than likely. Just make sure the save name is recognizable.

When you choose Save As, you will see a NUMBER in the grey words in the name box. THAT NUMBER IS THE SLOT TO WHICH YOUR SAVE IS GOING TO BE ASSIGNED. Make note of that!

(3) Once you have saved, Exit to the Main Menu in your game (you do NOT have to turn it off).

(4) Open your saves folder: My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/saves. Organize the folder by Details, then click on the Name column until you see the two folders jump up to the top and the numbers file downward beneath those. Do NOT worry about those folders. They are of no consequence in this saving process.

The first number you will see will probably be "Slot_00000001.save" THAT IS YOUR AUTOSAVE, which would be of whatever game you were playing last. It is not a constant. It's just a quick way to get your game back, if it gets corrupted at some point, in your regular save. "Slot_00000002.save" will be the first game you used "Save As" to save. Slot 3 will be the next one, etc.

When you see the one that has the number of the save you noted in Step 2 above, that's the saved game you want to make into a .zip file. For instance, if you already have an autosave and three other games saved, you would have been told that you were saving into the #5 slot. So you would be looking for "Slot_00000005.save" in order to package that save.

Since you JUST saved it, there is probably ONLY that one line. You'll notice that there are .ver files (save versions) in the other games you've been playing. I believe how that works is that the game specifically makes auto saves for you, in the game you've been playing, for even more safekeeping. You should ALWAYS be using the Save As option to save the game you're playing, and then allow the game to overwrite your previous save by the same name, to update the original .save file. If you went back and made some changes to your brand new saved game, there will be at least one .ver file. That's OK...next step...

(5) COPY all the files with the slot number to which you saved. That will be the original .save line (again--that may be the ONLY one there is) and any .ver lines for that slot (there will only ever be four of them, as the game cycles them out...after 4, it re-uses 1, etc., all the way down). So there will NEVER be more than FIVE files to copy for any particular saved game.

(6) MAKE A NEW FOLDER IN A PLACE OF YOUR CHOICE. Name it appropriately to the saved game you are going to upload. Open that folder. PASTE in the files you copied in Step 5.

(7) Go back up a level, and click on the folder you created, checking to see that it's not an empty file--the files need to actually be there...this is just a check. Once you're sure your files are where they're supposed to be, use your .zip utility to .zip the whole folder, which will end up with the folder's name, appended with .zip.

(8) Check to see how large the .zip file is. If it's under 15 MB, you may attach it to a post in a new topic, here. If not, you'll need to upload the file to a place that will allow you to upload larger files, then you may link to that file here.

The process of USING a downloaded world file goes like this...

PLEASE READ ALL OF THIS BEFORE YOU DOWNLOAD AND TRY TO USE A NEW WORLD. This is still new to us all, and though Carrie and I have tested the process with perfect success, there may be things we don't know yet. If you are not comfortable with the instructions you see below, please feel free to call me for a verbal step-by-step. Just PM me for my phone number if you don't already know it, and we'll arrange a phone call time. Or just ask a question here, and I'll endeavor to answer it.

If you ARE comfortable with what you see, the VERY first thing to do is make a backup copy of your saves folder BEFORE you begin the steps below.

(1) This first check is crucial to your already-saved games, so please note this carefully! Depending on how many games you already have saved in your own saves folder, you may already HAVE the same slot number filled, as the one you have downloaded! This situation is fairly easy to solve. If you do NOT have a file as high as the number on the one you downloaded, just paste in a COPY of the downloaded files, and you're ready to go. Even if there is a gap in the numbers (for instance if you have slot 3 filled, but the number you download is 5), don't worry. The game will fill slot 4, the next time you use Save As, then it will skip to slot 6, the next time. If you already have the same saved number you downloaded, though, go on to the next step.

(2) First, go into your saves folder (My Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/saves). Look at the slotted saves, and make a note of the next slot that would be in line if you were to save a new game. Let's say you already have saved games that have taken up to the "Slot_00000007.save" line. Then you know that you are going to have to rename the downloaded world file to "Slot_00000008.save" and all the "xx.save.verxx" file lines to the same first number. DO THIS FOR A COPY OF THE FILE YOU DOWNLOADED...NOT FOR THE ORIGINAL FILE!

(3) Paste your renamed file(s) into your saves folder.

(4) Open your game and see if the new save has shown up. If it does NOT, there's a workaround. It SHOULD show up, though, if you've renamed every file correctly.

(5) If it does NOT show up, delete the lines you pasted in. Then TEMPORARILY remove your saves folder to your desktop and rename it "saves-HOLD" or something like that.

(6) Then make a fresh saves folder in your game files and open that folder.

(7) Copy THE ORIGINAL file(s) you downloaded into that new folder.

(8) Start up your game. The saved game should show up. If it doesn't, there's probably something wrong with the save, and you should scrap it immediately, and let the creator know what happened. If you have to do that, then you can just take out the NEW saves folder you made, and put back the ORIGINAL saves folder, being sure you rename it back to just "saves."

(9) If the saved game DOES show up in your game (as it should), then IN THE GAME, use the Save As feature, and save it as a new game name of your choosing. KEEP ON DOING THIS UNTIL YOU HAVE FILLED THE NEXT SLOT THAT YOU WOULD NEED FOR YOUR REGULAR SAVES FOLDER. Exit to the Main Menu.

(10) Assuming (as we did above) that the downloaded file had the number "Slot_00000005.save" in that new saves folder, you will then see "Slot_00000001.save" which is the AutoSave. Then the game will have filled in "Slot_00000002.save," the "Slot_00000003.save," and the "Slot_00000004.save," then will have skipped over the original "Slot_00000005.save," and gone on to the "Slot_00000006.save," then the "Slot_00000007.save," and finally to the "Slot_00000008.save." COPY THAT ONE.

(11) In your ORIGINAL saves folder (that you temporarily moved and renamed) paste the new "Slot_00000008.save" file.

(12) Once that's done, delete the saves folder you made, rename the original folder back to just "saves," and place THAT folder back into your game files.

(13) In your game, use the Load Game feature, and you should then see all your previous saved games AND the new saved game that you downloaded. If not, then (as in Step 8 above) delete the downloaded game and let the creator know that you had a problem.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to Upload (and/or Download & Use) a TS4 Saved World

Postby lindawing » March 15th, 2015, 9:55 am

I've now published my "TS4 World Saving & Sharing Tutorial" on my Grandma's Gone Gaming YouTube channel. It contains the above information, and more...

lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » March 15th, 2015, 1:11 pm

Great job!! :joy: :joy: :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » March 15th, 2015, 11:52 pm

Thanks, Melody!

Did you watch it in this small mode, or did you hit the YouTube button at the bottom and watch it there at about double the size?

I just watched part of it in the small mode, and it's better than I expected. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » March 16th, 2015, 1:08 am

I watched it here. It was great! I could see it well and hear it well!! :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » March 16th, 2015, 2:13 am

That's good! Thanks, Melody! I appreciate the feedback! :uhhuh: :joy: