Don't Extend Roofs Over Two Stories...

In this public forum, please feel free to post an of the things you have learned about the mechanics of TS4, that you think others would like to know, too.

Don't Extend Roofs Over Two Stories...

Postby lindawing » September 12th, 2014, 11:46 pm

The game allows us to extend a roof starting from the top of one story, over the story above it. This could be quick and useful if you don't intend to USE the upper story...just have a window at the ends for effect, perhaps.

If, however, you intend to use the upper story and have playable rooms in it, you will have to do things a bit differently.

I've used a house that Carrie made, to illustrate this problem, and a fix for it, if you've already done it and then moved in a family and can't access them in the upper story!

This picture shows how the original roof was put on, even though there are dormers above. The roof is yellow, because I'm holding the hammer, about ready to delete it.
RoofTutorial-A.jpg
RoofTutorial-A.jpg (110.51 KiB) Viewed 577 times

Here I am, above the second story (because the chimney allows me to go up there to get a good view). As you can see, the rooms at the ends that are NOT dormers, were formerly hidden by the two-story roof. If the roof was taken down, the second-story rooms also went down.
RoofTutorial-B.jpg
RoofTutorial-B.jpg (106.73 KiB) Viewed 577 times

When I originally fixed this, I put one-tile, two-story gabled roofs at both ends, but that took out the configured walls in the end rooms, and would only allow them to be painted automatically with the gable ends. So...initially, in the second round of fixing, I added an end-cap room at the end of each of the bedrooms (not the dormers).
RoofTutorial-C.jpg
RoofTutorial-C.jpg (94.21 KiB) Viewed 577 times

This worked (as you'll see in the next few steps) but it left those ugly spaces at the ends of the rooms. I ended up just extending both of those bedrooms one space at their outside edges (see below).

Before I made that change, though, I began putting in half-gabled roofs in the four corners, stretching them to fit the empty spaces.
RoofTutorial-D.jpg
RoofTutorial-D.jpg (102.8 KiB) Viewed 577 times

RoofTutorial-E.jpg
RoofTutorial-E.jpg (105.51 KiB) Viewed 577 times

After all four corners had half-gabled roofs correctly in place, I added a gabled roof to JUST the second-story rooms in the middle (not over the dormers), which left the white spots at the ends, which needed to be refilled with siding.
RoofTutorial-F.jpg
RoofTutorial-F.jpg (103.34 KiB) Viewed 577 times

I applied the siding to both ends.
RoofTutorial-G.jpg
RoofTutorial-G.jpg (112.75 KiB) Viewed 577 times

This was my initial shot of the result, under the top roof...perfect, except for those ugly end cap spaces. So I just pulled out the ends of the rooms (which already had their exterior siding applied) through the end caps, which took the walls and immediately-adjacent furnishings along. As you can see by the next shot, that worked perfectly! The interior paint remained as it should...the rooms just ended up slightly larger, with everything (wall coverings and furnishings) intact.
RoofTutorial-H.jpg
RoofTutorial-H.jpg (92.61 KiB) Viewed 577 times

RoofTutorial-I.jpg
RoofTutorial-I.jpg (83.47 KiB) Viewed 577 times

Voila! The exterior retained its siding, and now the house looks just as it did before, in its entirety. The only difference is that now the upper story is totally accessible. :joy:
RoofTutorial-J.jpg
RoofTutorial-J.jpg (118.47 KiB) Viewed 577 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Don't Extend Roofs Over Two Stories...

Postby psychedelicsim » September 13th, 2014, 1:19 am

Thank you so much for this tutorial, Linda! It's perfect. :joy:

I'm going to go try to see if I can do the same thing with that house. Thanks again!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 13th, 2014, 4:44 am

Glad it worked for you, Carrie! :joy:

Though the roofing system is very flexible in TS4, and I mainly like it, there are a couple of things I hope they change as time goes by. They have made changes to the roofs in our other games, after we've asked them too, so I suspect it will be the same this time. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » September 13th, 2014, 7:54 am

Thanks Linda! I had so many issues with the new roofs, love them and also hate them a bit too :rotfl:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 13th, 2014, 8:02 am

Agreed! The more I've been working with them, the more they are working for me, though. There are just a couple of things I think they need to change. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » September 13th, 2014, 8:14 am

I find the rooms a double edge sword too, yesterday my house seemed to have really weird jaggy walls, I had to do a bit of bulldozing to get them right as no amount of pulling would fix it. Although, generally I do love that pulling around of rooms, much preferable to deleting walls!
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 13th, 2014, 9:09 am

I think sometimes our video cards just don't quite get the rendering right. Once or twice, I've gone out to the world screen, then back in, and things were fine again. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS4 Tutorial, Tips, Tricks, & Help