How to Upload (& Download) TS4 Files Here (Updated 03/22/15)

In this public forum, please feel free to post an of the things you have learned about the mechanics of TS4, that you think others would like to know, too.

How to Upload (& Download) TS4 Files Here (Updated 03/22/15)

Postby lindawing » September 4th, 2014, 11:03 am

Though the Gallery sharing thing is actually quite facile, once you get used to it, there are times when we'll want to NOT share our saved files with the entire world. One of those instances is with our NSC Members-Only projects (the first one has already begun).

This tutorial will show you how to share your files here, and how to add files from others to your game.

FIRST: You need to have file extensions showing when you go into folders on your Windows computer. Here's how to make that happen for Windows 7. Here's how to make that happen for Windows 8.

In order to create a file that you may upload here, and that others may download to use in their games, you'll need to follow the steps below. Keep in mind that this is not HARD. It just involves getting used to the routine (which I already have). Once you know what to do when you save a Sim, Lot, or Room, in order to share it without going through the Gallery, you can do it very quickly and easily.

CREATING YOUR .ZIP FILE TO UPLOAD
(1) In your Documents folder, find the Electronic Arts folder. Open it, and find the Tray folder.
TS4UploadingSims-01.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-01.jpg (282.46 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(2)The inside of the Tray folder will probably look something like this.
TS4UploadingSims-02.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-02.jpg (426.34 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(3) In order to do the rest of this process, you need to make sure that you are viewing the folder contents by Detail, then click the Date Modified column to make the newest files come to the top. You do that by doing this.
TS4-Tray-ViewByDetails-ClickDateModified.jpg
TS4-Tray-ViewByDetails-ClickDateModified.jpg (746.19 KiB) Viewed 901 times

Then the contents of the folder will change to look like this.
TS4UploadingSims-04.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-04.jpg (449.21 KiB) Viewed 903 times

The Tray shows all the saves you've made in TS4, so far--including households, lots, and rooms. Effectively, this is really your Library. It even holds the things we've downloaded from the Gallery. :uhhuh:

(4) Now go into your game and bring up your Library to select a Sim you've already saved, or make a new Sim that you want to save, or get ready to save a new lot or room. Once you are ready, go ahead and save.
TS4UploadingSims-05.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-05.jpg (150.52 KiB) Viewed 903 times

TS4UploadingSims-06.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-06.jpg (124.81 KiB) Viewed 903 times

If you are re-saving a Sim you made earlier, be sure you SAVE NEW (do not overwrite). This is necessary so that you get a complete set of files in your Tray that are easy to identify. If you are re-saving, you can trash the re-saved Sim as soon as you get it packaged. Lots or Rooms that you resave seem to automatically make a new file each time.
TS4UploadingSims-07.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-07.jpg (100.83 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(5) Once you have saved, go back to your Tray folder, and you'll notice that the new save has placed several brand new files, right at the top of your list. You can tell they're new, by looking at the date and time they were filed in that folder.
TS4UploadingSims-08.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-08.jpg (251.81 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(6) Copy all of those new files (they will go to your clipboard until you get ready to paste them).
TS4UploadingSims-09.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-09.jpg (225.44 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(7) In a place you will remember, make a new folder for the TS4 files you will be saving for uploading or sending to other people. I made my new folder right inside my Electronic Arts folder, but you may put yours anywhere you like. Name it whatever you like. I named mine "TS4 Files to Upload" (I'll be saving Sims, Lots, and Rooms to that same folder).
TS4UploadingSims-10.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-10.jpg (89.59 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(8) Inside that new folder, make ANOTHER new folder, and name it with a file name that identifies what's inside. In this case, I named my new folder "LindaWing-Elder-090414" since that's what I just saved and will upload here.
TS4UploadingSims-11.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-11.jpg (41.6 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(9) Go inside that new folder and paste the files you copied from the Tray.
TS4UploadingSims-12.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-12.jpg (60.96 KiB) Viewed 903 times

TS4UploadingSims-13.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-13.jpg (116.13 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(10) Go back into your saves folder, so that you can see the folder that now has all the files inside of it.
TS4UploadingSims-14.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-14.jpg (52.64 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(11) Now you need to use whatever zip application you have, that you always use, to make a .zip file you can upload here. I can use either PeaZip or 7zip.
TS4UploadingSims-15.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-15.jpg (183.4 KiB) Viewed 903 times

TS4UploadingSims-16.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-16.jpg (215.32 KiB) Viewed 903 times

(12) Once your .zip file is created, that's the file you'll upload here, to share with others. :hooray:
TS4UploadingSims-17.jpg
TS4UploadingSims-17.jpg (63.6 KiB) Viewed 903 times

DOWNLOADING AND USING THE FILES OTHERS HAVE UPLOADED
If you want to use a file someone else has uploaded (for instance, you can find the one I've been showing you in this tutorial, at the bottom of this post), all you have to do is download the .zip file to a safe place on your hard drive, unzip the folder to get to the containing folder, copy the files inside that folder, go to Documents/Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/Tray, and paste in the files.

If you are asked whether or not you want to OVERWRITE, cancel out and let us know here, so that the problem can be rectified. That shouldn't happen. Each person's game should be saving binary files in its own way. The only time you might get an overwrite warning is if a person resaves a file by overwriting it in their own game, and you have already downloaded and installed their files previously. That's why it's so important to re-save as a NEW file, when you make changes to an existing Sim. :uhhuh:

NOTE: The extensions at the end of the file names in the Tray are:

for Sims...
.hhi = Household Image

for Lots...
.bpi = Blueprint Image

for Rooms...
.rmi = Room Image

for all items (Sims, Lots, or Rooms)...
.sgi - = Sims Gallery Image
.trayitem = the actual item we are saving.

I'm sure that at some point, someone will come up with a piece of software that will actually READ those item and image files, so that we can open that software and target on our Trays, and then automatically pick the right files, because the images will show us which ones we need--even ones that were saved at different times--and automatically connect them to the correctly-numberd .trayitem files. :uhhuh:

EDITED 03/22/15...

I've just published a tutorial video about this on Grandma's Gone Gaming.

lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to Upload (& Download) TS4 Files Here

Postby lindawing » September 8th, 2014, 8:28 am

I didn't take any pictures, but I have discovered how to save and share our saved games!!! :joy:

In the Electronic Arts/The Sims 4/saves folder, there is a list of all the saves you currently have in your game.

Slot 1 saves are the autosaves. Slot 2 and other Slot saves numbered sequentially after that are the "save as" saves we've made.

Also inside that folder, there's a scratch folder and a Serial GUID folder.

Right at this moment, in my saves folder, I only have the autosave and one saved game: NSC Project #1. That's the one in Slot 2. I isolated that by experimenting. First I looked for the newest saves, and found the Slot_00000001 and Slot_00000002 files were dated tonight, right before I quit the game. Then I put ALL the files out of the saves folder into a TEMP folder, then copied just the Slot 2 files back into the saves folder.

When the game came back up, there was no autosave, and my NSC Project #1 save was right there where it should be. I loaded it, and everything was just the way I left it. I should mention I did NOT copy either the scratch folder or the Serial GUID folder back into the saves folder, because I wanted to see if it was necessary to do so. It is NOT. At first when I went into the game and used the button to LOAD the game, I clicked on the NSC Project #1 save, and told it to load, but the load button went gray. After just a few seconds, I clicked on the line again, and that time the load button stayed black, and it let me right in. The scratch folder contains only thumbnail images. The game quickly made more, and all was fine. When trying the same thing again, just a few minutes ago, it took two tries before I was able to load the game, but once again it loaded up just fine, after the game manufactured a new scratch folder and SerialGUID folder (which is empty, by the way). :uhhuh:

The files that correspond to my Slot 2 save in the saves folder are:

Slot_00000002.save
Slot_00000002.save.ver0
Slot_00000002.save.ver1
Slot_00000002.save.ver2
Slot_00000002.save.ver3
Slot_00000002.save.ver4

The total size of all five of those files is 8.28 MB. These are my two worlds that have been emptied and contain only four lots and four Sims.

When I last saved the game and exited, an NPC that Linda has been befriending was standing at the front door, knocking. She was still there, and everything was exactly the way I left it.

SO...in order to share that saved game with you, all I'd have to do is copy those files, above, into a folder, name it to show what the saved game is about (in this case, NSCProject#1-090814-lindawing, probably), then zip the folder and uploaded it.

That file size would attach in the forums.

Now, this save only has the four houses and the four Sims in it, plus NPCs. I'm assuming that the VER numbers are probably the hidden lot (possibly the VER0 file) and the four other lots are the VER1, VER2, VER3, and VER4 files. That may not be right, because actually there are TWO hidden lots (one in each world). However, if I AM right, then each lot that is added is going to add another VER file line, and as we fill up the two worlds, the file will get bigger and bigger, so that it could no longer be uploaded to NSC as an attachment. I'm thinking, though, that it will still be smaller than a CaW game for TS3, and that it could be uploaded easily by ftp, with a download link on the forum, just like most of our CaW worlds have been.

This save keeps the Sims in it, that we put in it, which is BETTER than our CaW worlds! So when our NSC Project #1 is finished, we definitely CAN pack it up and offer it to our guest downloaders--complete with two worlds full of interesting lots and great Sims! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 8th, 2014, 11:31 am

Woot! Nice job Linda. :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » September 8th, 2014, 11:11 pm

Now we just need to find out how to rename the WORLDS, for some variety, right? Hoping that in three months they'll offer us a third (or maybe third and fourth) world, too!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » September 8th, 2014, 11:37 pm

I hope so!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How to Upload (& Download) TS4 Files Here (Updated 03/22

Postby lindawing » March 22nd, 2015, 9:19 am

At the bottom of the first post...
viewtopic.php?f=338&t=2346&p=11769#p11769

I embedded my new video tutorial about this subject.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS4 Tutorial, Tips, Tricks, & Help