Playing multiple households in a game

In this public forum, please feel free to post an of the things you have learned about the mechanics of TS4, that you think others would like to know, too.

Playing multiple households in a game

Postby MelodyOkie » January 9th, 2017, 8:01 pm

Some tips I found at Carls Sims Guides that are really good for the type of gameplay that I do and may be useful for others as well. When I create a "world", it consists of all available areas (Neighborhoods) and a number of different sim families. I like to move from family to family to see what they have been up to and how they are doing while I'm off playing a different household. So I move around a lot.

Tip 1 for this type of gameplay: To switch households in your game, click on the Options button (... in the upper right corner). Choose Manage Households. You'll be asked if you want to Save and go to Manage Households, or just go to Manage Households. I always choose to save, but your progress will be saved as long as you save before exiting. You'll go to the Map Screen, where you can click on the next household of Sims you want to play.

Tip 2: Try not to switch to a new household during working hours for that sim. With the active careers from Get to Work Expansion Pack, you'll risk lowering job performance for your Doctor, Scientist, and Detective. Your Sims in other careers may suffer from being late to work, too.

Tip 3: I would recommend against doing a "Save As" for each household as that will bloat your overall game unnecessarily. Saving before you exit will keep the progress in all the households that you played during that session.

(I always do a "save as" and had no idea there was a possibility of bloating my game by doing this? How is that? I "save as" under that world's name. It seems to me just doing a "save" would bloat the game because it then saves it as if it were a new game and as a # rather than the name of your game. Plus you take a chance of accidentally saving over a different game if you've just gone in. I've lost games that way, by not doing a "save as". So I strongly disagree with Tip 3. I think that should recommend doing a "Save As" rather than just a "save".) Note: I think it means a "Save As" for each household name? I do agree with that. The "Save As" which I highly recommend is for the world itself and not for each individual sim family.
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Playing multiple households in a game

Postby lindawing » January 9th, 2017, 10:01 pm

I absolutely agree with you on Tip #3. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » January 9th, 2017, 10:30 pm

I also thought that tip 2 was excellent. I never thought of timing when I decided to get out of the game or switch households. In fact, I would generally choose to make the switch while they were at work because - well, boring waiting on them to return. Can you say Clock!? :evillaugh: But, this is good information on why I should have a little patience and just wait a minute!! :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » January 10th, 2017, 4:32 am

Yes. :uhhuh: I'm thinking, for me, maybe some knitting.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » January 10th, 2017, 2:11 pm

:evillaugh:

Oh and #1 is also an excellent tip for me because I always find myself doing everything the hard way. I tend to first "Save As"; then I go to Manage Worlds; then I go to the next household I want to play. I do believe ... oh, wait.... 6 of one 1/2 dozen of the other. Both are the same number of steps and, well, I don't know ... guess I will just keep on doing what I'm comfortable with. :evillaugh: And actually, the way I have been doing it just might me quicker and easier!! Oh, wow! Go figure! Me doing something easier!! :doh: :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » January 10th, 2017, 3:43 pm

:lol: That's pretty much how Ido it, too...I think...a bit braindead right now.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » January 10th, 2017, 4:54 pm

:friends: I am pretty much brain dead most of the time these days. Other than maybe waiting until my sims are asleep before leaving them to move to another household; I probably won't change anything I already do. It would be too confusing. :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » January 10th, 2017, 10:31 pm

Me too...especially right now.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » January 11th, 2017, 12:55 am

With what is going on, it's understandable. I am sure that all you can think about, or want to think about is David!! I continue to be in prayer for him and you. I was so happy to hear the surgery is over and was successful. I know he has a hard road ahead of him for recovery, healing and pain; but I know he will get through it. He has a lot of love and support and I am praying he will be able to go home soon and his road will be short, he will heal quickly and be free of pain soon!!
:friends: :hug-group-6y:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » January 11th, 2017, 6:26 am

Agreed! I just did a further update in the chat panel.

At this point, his homecoming is probably going to be this coming Monday, which, of course, doesn't mean all the healing is over. Let the weeks of therapy begin!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » January 11th, 2017, 3:12 pm

:hug-group-5y:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MamaLambNC » February 13th, 2017, 3:36 pm

I know this is an older post but it's better late than never, right?

With Tip 2....I only save & go on to the next family at nighttime. When the entire family is in bed asleep. That way, I know all my Simmies are home & accounted for.

With Tip 3....I'm with you guys! I "save as" under the name of the world....if I'm playing the Goth family in my Pleasantview, that's what I Save as under Pleasantview. If I'm playing the Grunt family, I save as under Strangetown. I do believe in the very first days of Sims 4, Miss Linda taught me that little trick & it made so much sense...I followed it!
Loving Helpmeet To: Bryan (40 yrs.)
Proud Mama To: BJ - 36, Angel - 32, Kathy - 28, & Shaun - 25
Caring Grandmother To: Rafael - 9, Nadya - 7, Bruce - 4 & Brooklyn - Newborn
MamaLambNC
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » February 13th, 2017, 6:01 pm

Yes...I've read #3 again several times, and I don't think the person writing it fully understood what the game does with "save as." We are far better off using that as we do, I believe. :uhhuh:

The saving at nighttime seems perfect to me, too. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » February 13th, 2017, 10:17 pm

:friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS4 Tutorial, Tips, Tricks, & Help