A Couple of "Did You Knows"

This is a public forum. If you have any questions about how to play Minecraft, or need some help with a particular problem, this is the place to look.

A Couple of "Did You Knows"

Postby lindawing » November 15th, 2014, 3:36 am

Did you know...

...that horses will not drown in water, now? They were fixed so that they won't try to graze under the water! I hadn't known that was why they were drowning! :lol:

...that mobs will not spawn on slabs placed at the BOTTOM of a block? If you place slabs at the TOP of the block, they will, because they just think it's a full block. This makes slabs really nice for raised paths/roads. :uhhuh: You can't light them up, but you don't need to.

...that slabs also come in handy for protecting the water canals in gardens. Put a block at one end to connect to, then remove the block after you place the first slab, then add the rest of the slabs. Slabs don't get destroyed when you harvest, which lily pads sometimes do. Either one keeps the fruit from falling into the water where you have to go to retrieve it, which is a pain.

...that if you are in a cold biome and you need to plant, and your water freezes, or if you are using a cobble generator in an area that consistently freezes, putting the slabs (or a full block, or a lily pad) over the top of the water (at any height, I think--I know it works at least 8 blocks away), will cause the water to think it's indoors, and no ice will form.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: A Couple of "Did You Knows"

Postby FaithfulApostle » November 15th, 2014, 6:00 am

These are great tips.

After I saw how you did the half slabs in the garden in Tiny Biomes I was going to tell you how much I liked it and thought it was a great idea.

Nice to know about them helping with water freezing. That will be needed for Olympus. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » November 15th, 2014, 7:19 am

That's what I was thinking! If someone else picks that up, maybe they'll have read this, too...or maybe they'll already know. I didn't learn it until we did Skyblock (the original). We had a block of ice to use to make a cobble generator...ok...that's not hard...you break the ice, and it works. Then it froze up, over and over again...kind of a pain, but still...it worked. I watched Blindman's video about it, though, and he showed how if you cover up the ice with a solid block, it never freezes. :doh: I'd seen it in the natural worlds, but never really thought about it. As soon as you go into a cave opening in a frozen land, the water underneath isn't frozen. Lightbulb over my head! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » November 15th, 2014, 2:15 pm

These are all good to know. Thanks Linda! :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Tutorials, Tips, Tricks, & Help