Any good tips?

This is a public forum. If you have any questions about how to play Minecraft, or need some help with a particular problem, this is the place to look.

Any good tips?

Postby Arianna! » May 13th, 2017, 4:49 am

So I am playing Minecraft on the Nintendo Switch but I need pointers about how to survive. Sorry also it's been a very long time since I posted here. :friends:
Arianna!
Infant
Infant

Re: Any good tips?

Postby lindawing » May 13th, 2017, 9:00 am

I have lots of tips, but it would be easier if you could ask some specific questions. I'll give you the best tips that I know, about anything you ask, or at least give you some ideas about where to look for good answers. ;-) Love Minecraft! I play on the PC, but I think that most things would be at least similar.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Arianna! » May 14th, 2017, 7:34 am

Can you live in villages? Do you actually need a house or can you just explore and take stuff with you all the time? If you have a house how do you keep track of it if you want to go exploring? Sorry my questions are all over the place. :uhuh:
Arianna!
Infant
Infant

Postby lindawing » May 14th, 2017, 2:53 pm

Those are great questions. I'll take them in order. Again, I have to assume that, generally speaking, our versions are at least similar.

Villages...I personally love living in the villages, and fixing up the houses and farms for the villagers. It can be a problem for the Villagers, though, if you are there at night and you haven't protected them with fences/walls and lights. Zombies will try to get to them at night, and either kill them or convert them to Zombie Villagers. If you have a bed, you can sleep the nights away until you have everything safe. That also assures that you will spawn at your bed, if you die. You could also send the nights about 56 blocks away (horizontally or vertically) from the village. Also, you could play on Peaceful (no hostile mobs) for the first couple of times you take on a village.

Houses vs. Exploring...I like to have a base where I keep collected stuff, but you don't have to...whatever feels good when you're playing, go with it. In the PC game, and probably in your version, there is a readout at the top left corner that you can bring up (with the PC it's F3),and it shows you your X, Y, and Z coordinates. Once you learn how to use them (I can help) you can find anything as long as you've written them down somewhere. I keep notes for every map I play. Also, once you have the materials, you can make a compass, and maps, too.

We have a tutorial here, for the basics. It's for the PC, and it hasn't been updated for quite some time. Still, it might help you with some of the basics. I'll get you the link.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 14th, 2017, 2:58 pm

Here's the link. The first post has an index linked to the different subjects it covers.

viewtopic.php?f=245&t=274

Also, I have a video tutorial about villages and villagers, that I did as a favor for Lydia a couple of years ago, now. Again, it's somewhat outdated, but it has a lot of stuff in it that still works the same way, basically.

viewtopic.php?f=109&t=2624
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Tutorials, Tips, Tricks, & Help