Installing The Sims 2 on Windows 8

Tutorials for The Sims 2.

Installing The Sims 2 on Windows 8

Postby psychedelicsim » February 11th, 2014, 2:22 pm

Since the beginning, The Sims 2 has not been compatible with Windows 8. I did all kinds of troubleshooting, but could never get past installing the base game. I would always get a patch error when trying to install the University expansion pack. Today I decided to see if anyone has found a way to install all of The Sims 2 and its expansion and stuff packs. I finally did. :-) I'm so happy to say that I finally have the complete Sims 2 on my Windows 8.1 computer and it's working like a charm.

thesims2installwin8.png
thesims2installwin8.png (893.35 KiB) Viewed 1387 times

Link to original forum thread at Mod the Sims: http://www.modthesims.info/archive/index.php?t-500523.html

What You'll Need

- All of your Sims 2 DVDs/CDs
- All of The Sims 2 patches (http://www.modthesims.info/wiki.php?title=Game_Help:TS2_Patches)
- GrumpyLoader (http://www.modthesims.info/showthread.php?p=4051458#post4051458)

Install in this order...

- The Sims 2™ (or Sims 2 Deluxe, Sims 2 Double Deluxe or Sims 2 Holiday Edition, whichever you have)
- University (or University Life Collection)
- Nightlife (disregard if you have Sims 2 Deluxe or Double Deluxe)
- Christmas Party Pack (US) OR Holiday Party Pack (UK)
- Open for Business or Best of Business Collection
- Family Fun Stuff or Fun with Pets Collection
- Glamour Life Stuff
- Pets (disregard if you have Fun with Pets Collection)
- Happy Holiday Stuff (Disregard if you have Sims 2 Holiday Edition)
- Seasons
- Celebration Stuff (disregard if you have Double Deluxe)
- H&M Fashion Stuff (disregard if you have Best of Business Collection)
- Bon Voyage
- Teen Style Stuff (disregard if you have University Life Collection)
- FreeTime
- Kitchen & Bath Interior Design Stuff (disregard if you have Best of Business Collection)
- Apartment Life
- IKEA Home Stuff (disregard if you have University Life Collection)
- Mansion & Garden Stuff (disregard if you have Fun with Pets Collection)

Step 1

Insert the first disc (I used the same process from the base game all the way to Mansion & Garden Stuff). Instead of running Autoplay, go to your drive and double-click to open the disc folder. Inside you will see the installation files. Right-click on the AutoRun application and go down to Properties. Select the Compatibility tab. Tick the box under Compatibility mode and choose Windows XP (Service Pack 2) from the drop down menu. Click the Apply button. Double-click to install using the AutoRun application.

Step 2

Right after you have installed each one, open GrumpyLoader to install the patch that corresponds with the game/EP/SP you just installed (the patches can be downloaded HERE). Go to Load and select the patch. *Note: If an error pops up during the patching process, click on YES to ignore it.

Repeat steps 1 and 2 for each expansion and stuff pack that you would like to install.

Step 3

After you have finished installing everything, right-click on the icon on your desktop that you will be starting the game with. In my case, it's Mansion & Garden Stuff. Go to Properties. Select the Compatibility tab. Tick the box under Compatibility mode and choose Windows 7 from the drop down menu. Click the Apply button.

*Note: Windows 7 is what worked with my system. I tried using Windows XP (Service Pack 2), but I had some graphics issues. You can use whichever compatibility mode works the best for your system.
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Installing The Sims 2 on Windows 8

Postby lindawing » February 12th, 2014, 12:32 am

Good job with this, Carrie!

I thought I was going to have to use it, then decided to skip Windows 8. :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » February 12th, 2014, 1:16 am

psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Freggi » July 22nd, 2014, 9:17 pm

Nice guide Carrie and thanks for sharing.. :friends: .. Sims 2 runs as well on the larger windows 8.2 64 bit without problems... :)
:) Be respectful to Others,
even if they're not respectful to YOU...
----------------
Freggi
Infant
Infant

Postby psychedelicsim » July 23rd, 2014, 1:43 pm

Cool, thanks Liz!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Return to TS2 - Tutorials