Linda's Terraria Games

This is a public forum. Terraria is a scrolling world that some of us have been playing. This is your place to share your game if you'd like.

Linda's Terraria Games

Postby lindawing » July 16th, 2014, 4:05 am

Thanks to Carrie's wonderful gift and the nice tech guy from HughesNet who gave us some extra token bytes for our downloading pleasure, I now have Terraria installed on my nice, newly-powerful computer, and have been playing my "Learning" game today.

There are similarities to minecraft, but it's different in many ways, and MUCH more complicated, overall. For one thing, you have no choices as to whether or not you WILL see monsters in the game. You have to battle them right from the beginning, even when you're on the easiest setting.

I'm having a bit of a hard time doing the right/left thing, rather than the forward/back thing. The W key makes you CLIMB, the S key makes you go DOWN. The A key makes you go left, and the D key makes you go right. I'm thinking of making the W/S keys go left/right, just because those are the default moving directions. Then the A/D keys would be the up/down keys. The space key still makes me jump, so that would feel more familiar, I think.

Of course, that's just the way I've been used to playing all games that use both the keyboard and mouse.

I have a couple of quick screenshots to share, then I'm going back into the game for a while.
Attachments
Learning-071514-A.jpg
My first shelter, with the beginnings of my crafting area...
Learning-071514-A.jpg (63.86 KiB) Viewed 576 times
Learning-071514-B.jpg
Another area not far away, with a small mine...
Learning-071514-B.jpg (63.92 KiB) Viewed 576 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linda's Terraria Games

Postby lindawing » July 16th, 2014, 5:18 am

I tried the different key configuration, but wouldn't you know it...I've already gotten too used to the A/D keys for going right and left! :evillaugh: So I switched back. Now I hope that doesn't mess me up in Minecraft!!!

I've added onto my house. I think, with another world, I'll put my house up on a "floating" platform, instead of having to jump over it or walk through it to go either map direction.
Learning-071514-D.jpg
Learning-071514-D.jpg (52.22 KiB) Viewed 574 times

I've also been fishing. Though I saw a fish to begin with, it got blown up by something. When I had my line in the water, I never got any bites...I think there actually have to be fish in the water, to make them bite...not like in Minecraft.
Learning-071514-C.jpg
Learning-071514-C.jpg (50.82 KiB) Viewed 574 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » July 16th, 2014, 1:52 pm

Wonderful screenshots! It looks like you're getting the hang of things. :joy:

I think before you fish, you need to get worms first. They can be found around the world, but they're very tiny. :uhhuh:

Ethan said that to swim, you need flippers which can be found in underwater chests. I thought I could swim without them and ended up killing myself. :doh: At some point, you can fly too. You need rocket boots or some kind of monster drops wings. Also, when it's raining, you can kill a monster that's holding an umbrella and if they drop it, you can use it for falling slowly from high places.
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 16th, 2014, 6:34 pm

Oh, cool! I've just been killing the worms!!! How do you catch them?!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 17th, 2014, 2:21 am

I've now seen flying fish and slime with umbrellas...in the pouring rain. Too funny! Also, there were goldfish walking around on the land! I thought if you killed them you'd get food, but...evidently not! Oh, and I've also seen zombies wearing yellow slickers, now!

Here's how my house looks now.
Learning-071614-A.jpg
Learning-071614-A.jpg (59.24 KiB) Viewed 567 times

I also read about needing new houses for NPCs...didn't know I was supposed to be building a town! So I made a house for the guide...that was Jack, after the first guide got killed. Now there's Kevin, since I goofed and let the monsters into Jack's house when he was there, and HE got killed! :evillaugh:
Learning-071614-B.jpg
Learning-071614-B.jpg (42.83 KiB) Viewed 567 times

So I will soon be building some more houses, so that the merchants can come. :joy:

I can finally make copper shortswords now, too.

I did, by the way, Carrie, lose most of my silver and copper coins when I've died before. So now, as you mentioned you are doing, I'm stashing them in a second chest I put up on the top floor of my house.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » July 17th, 2014, 3:31 pm

Your buildings are looking good! I like the idea of having them on platforms so you don't have to go through the doors.

I didn't know you had to build houses for NPC's either. I thought they just went into whatever building was built. :doh: :rotfl:

To catch worms, you need a bug catcher that you can buy from a merchant for 1 gold or 100 silver. Ethan says that a lot of worms can be found under mossy rocks that you can break. A bunch come out at one time.

Sometimes the zombies drop their rain gear. I have a coat on one of my characters. Too bad they don't give you any defense!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 17th, 2014, 9:25 pm

From what I read, two characters will not live in the same house! Of course, the NPCs evidently can come right on into YOUR house, and will sometimes leave the doors open or be trailing monsters in their wake as they come! Once you have flagged a house for a certain NPC, though, that NPC will eventually go to live in his home, which is nice. :joy:

The house icon for its control panel is above the armor control panel/box.

Oh, good! Hopefully I'll be able to buy a bug catcher soon!!! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 8:21 am

I did a little more research about houses tonight, after I started my new game: Not-So-Noob. :evillaugh:

With the newest version of the game, you don't actually have to have separate houses for each NPC...just separate rooms in a house that meets the requirements. Here is the picture of my new house. Over to the right of this house, there is actually another small house that I built over the spawn point. It is my guide Harley's house, now. When I enter the game, I'm safe in his house. Then I can wait there until daylight if necessary, and then get to my house. I'll be building a safe tunnel, soon.
NoSoNoob-071814-A.jpg
NoSoNoob-071814-A.jpg (51.21 KiB) Viewed 564 times

Notice that in this house, the lower floor (that accesses two underground areas from which I got more stone when I needed it, and from which I'll extend my tunnel over to Harley's house), is divided into two rooms. Each room will house an NPC when I get enough coins for merchants to be showing up. Since I've been concentrating on getting houses ready, I only have 19 silver coins right now--looted from an ice cave even further to the right than Harley's house. I have my silver coins safely stashed in a chest, now, since I DID lose my other coins when dying so much, before. This time around, I've only once, anyway, since I have the hang of fighting things better, now (plus I have a better sword, now, too).

I intend to build another floor above my own room in the house, which will be built with red brick, with a grey brick wall. I'll put two rooms (or maybe three) up there, too. I understand that you can have as many rooms in a house as you want, and you need at least 20, in order to house all the existing NPCs that can show up.

Once I got my main house established in this world, I went back to my Learning world and looted everything (well...most of everything...I did leave a few torches behind, but I got all my bricks, walls, wood, furniture, chests, etc.). It's really nice to be able to do that, and then have the mats for another world! I didn't have to, but I went ahead and deleted the Learning world after looting what I wanted.

In the future, I may just build some mining/grinding worlds to go back and forth with, for mats. Once the world is up and you can see what type of area you are in, it would be easy to focus on things like ice blocks from one world, stone blocks from another world, clay from another, etc.

I also found a very easy way to grind slime! As you can see in the above picture, I put two platforms outside each door. It's very easy to just stand on those and jump up to the next level, to access all the outside doors. I noticed that the slime do exactly the same thing! So I put myself up on the roof, and stood right next to the platform that I put up there, and started swinging my axe. As each slime jumped up there, I killed it in two swings of the axe. During the daytime, you can get a pretty good flow of slime going, and get the coins and the gel like crazy, without getting hurt in the least. Woot! :hooray:

I'm off to bed right now, but am looking forward to playing more tomorrow. I still wish the graphics were a LITTLE larger, but I'm getting used to it, and with some varied mats, now, it's easier to see some things. Thank you once again, Carrie, for the wonderful gift!!! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 8:23 am

I also read that during a blood moon, zombies can beat down your doors. They haven't been able to beat mine down, and I think that MAY be because I have the doors one square above the ground level, even though there are platforms out beside them. As you can see in the picture in the post above, the zombies are standing on the ground...not on the platforms. I'll do some experimenting, to see if they can beat the doors down if the doors are actually at ground level.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 18th, 2014, 9:20 am

My guide's house had doors at ground level, but even with the blood moon, the zombies weren't able to beat down the doors. It's probably because I'm playing on the easiest level.

I got a couple more shots. The first one is Harley's house, and the second one is after I connected his house with my house via a tunnel. I want to do some more finish-work in that tunnel, but an 1-1/2 hours sped by while I was just doing that part, and I need to get to bed. :yeah:
NoSoNoob-071814-B.jpg
NoSoNoob-071814-B.jpg (20.92 KiB) Viewed 563 times

NoSoNoob-071814-C.jpg
NoSoNoob-071814-C.jpg (67.56 KiB) Viewed 563 times

One more thing I remembered that I found out while researching the houses, is that NPCs need an "NPC Block" (a solid block of any type) on which to stand at night. As you can see in the first picture above, Harley is standing right next to one of his chairs. The NPC Block needs to be at least three blocks from any door, and there cannot be any furniture on that block. If that block is not correct, you will get an "invalide house" comment when you do a house query. :yikes:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » July 18th, 2014, 10:23 pm

Wow! You're going great! I'm so glad you're enjoying the game. :joy:

I love your idea for killing slimes. I'll have to try that in my SP world. I've been mostly playing multiplayer with Ethan, Lucas and Travis. I started an SP world, but didn't get very far with it.

Have you tried fighting any big bosses yet?
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 19th, 2014, 12:18 am

Haven't found any big bosses yet, but I'm able to craft more things now. I could use a better pick. I just found a fairly large pocket of iron ore...hoping I can craft an iron pick.

Dinner is just about ready, so going to grab that before I go back in. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 19th, 2014, 3:44 am

I have one merchant in my SP game, now! Woot! He (she? not sure) came when I only had 36 silver coins. It's the dye merchant. Of course, I can't actually purchase anything yet, as just the dye pot is 5 gold, and silver dye is 1 gold. Gold? What's THAT?! :evillaugh:

I have a bit of tin built up, now, plus more copper bars, and a few iron bars left after creating an advanced crafting bench. I wish I hadn't wasted the iron on it, after seeing what it initially gives me...statues in the shapes of letters...what's up with that? I'll research, but...hmmm...I'm sure I could have waited for that. :rotfl: :rolleyes:

I THINK I found a dungeon (see the last picture, below). It has wood walls, and I got stuff out of an "ice chest" down there. I have the chest in my home, now, holding things like...snow blocks & ice blocks. :yeah:

I'm having to be careful down there, because there are no background walls down that low. So monsters are spawning.

I also went to the left and found a bunch more clay pots with coins, etc. I skittered back just before dark, so I could put my coins into their safe place at home. Next time I go that way, I'll build another shelter over there, with at least a fire, furnace, and crafting bench. That way, if I need to keep on going, I can hole up there and mine a little during the night. :uhhuh:

Pictures from tonight...
NotSoNoob-071814-E.jpg
NotSoNoob-071814-E.jpg (247.08 KiB) Viewed 558 times

NotSoNoob-071814-F.jpg
NotSoNoob-071814-F.jpg (243.53 KiB) Viewed 558 times

NotSoNoob-071814-G.jpg
NotSoNoob-071814-G.jpg (219.4 KiB) Viewed 558 times

NotSoNoob-071814-H.jpg
NotSoNoob-071814-H.jpg (251.73 KiB) Viewed 558 times

NotSoNoob-071814-I.jpg
NotSoNoob-071814-I.jpg (201.9 KiB) Viewed 558 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » July 19th, 2014, 2:16 pm

So cool! Things are really coming along nicely!

Yes, I think that might be a dungeon, but I'm not sure. I found one like that one time that had a grandfather clock and chandelier in it. :evillaugh:

That's a bummer about the crafting table. I still haven't figured out why there are so many statues in the game. :doh: :rotfl:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » July 19th, 2014, 6:26 pm

Just did some quick research. http://terraria.gamepedia.com/Statue

This one is actually a bit more informative, I think. http://terraria.wikia.com/wiki/Statues

The alphabet and numbers are purely decorative, as are many of the others.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Terraria