Tropico 5 on sale

Do you play Tropico? This public forum is the place to share your screenshots and commentary.

Tropico 5 on sale

Postby Rheassi-Sim » June 21st, 2015, 2:32 am

I have had Tropico 5 on my wishlist on steam for a while now and they emailed me today it was on sale. I got it for 10.74. Its a great deal if anyone is interested :)

Now there are loads of DLC I need to collect once I learn to play lol.
Rheassi-Sim
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: Tropico 5 on sale

Postby lindawing » June 21st, 2015, 5:32 am

I'm going to go take a look at it. I'm not sure I would like it. I didn't care for the last one I tried, and ended up giving it away, but I'd like to see the advertising, at least. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » June 22nd, 2015, 2:35 pm

I loved Trop 4 because they had lots of scenarios and goals to play (and I am very goal oriented), but Trop 5 doesn't really have more than a few basic goals (not enough to even get you through all time periods). I played it through the goals and then I stopped playing. I'm not much for open ended play on games like that. If you like open ended, it's just like Trop 4 with a few more buildings, so you would like it. If you are goal oriented like me and think it will be like Trop 4, it isn't. So be warned either way. ;-)
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rheassi-Sim » June 22nd, 2015, 6:06 pm

So far its going ok. I have finished the tutorial and the first two missions. Had a little trouble with the 3rd one as the tutorial did not explain much about how to defend or use your military lol.

I play a lot of Civilization 5 in an open ended world so will try Tropico's sandbox mode next. There is a lot of DLCs and an some expansions but I don't purchase things on Steam normally unless they are on a huge sale and wanted to get used to the base game first. The expansion Waterborne looks interesting and so does Surf's Up DLC. Looks like 8 DLCs and 2 expansions.
Rheassi-Sim
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » June 22nd, 2015, 9:38 pm

Lydia--I'm laughing a bit bit, because you have really encouraged me that I might like the game. I really didn't care for 3, and from what I heard and read, I wouldn't have liked 4, either. Personally, I like open-ended games better, but I do also like interim goals.

I watched a play-through the other day, on YouTube, and decided I'd like to try it, since it was on sale for less than $11.

So...I paid for it, updated Steam, and downloaded the game. I was excited to give it a try.

Then...temporary stop. I discovered that the video card I'm using is only DX10 capable. Last year, I switched my DX11 video card with Jonny, who needed that, for his DX10 card. In other respects, this one is actually somewhat better than the one I had. I had forgotten that that was the case.

Well...Tropico 5 needs DX11 capabilities.

Tomorrow, my new video card will arrive from Amazon. It took me three hours of searching, the other night, to find a card I could afford that had DX11 capabilities, that is still being sold! I finally found one at Amazon, and ordered it.

Long story made just a little shorter...I should be able to play the game tomorrow evening, then I'll report on what I think. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » June 23rd, 2015, 2:01 pm

Linda, you just might like 5. It's a lot more like SimCity than 4 was. ;-)

My problem with these types of games is that I understand the pattern needed to run a happy city almost immediately, so if I don't have goals to complete, I get really bored.

I don't buy things on Steam (only with a disk), so unless they put some challenges on a disk, I probably won't be going any further with 5. :uhuh:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » June 23rd, 2015, 8:44 pm

My card should be delivered very soon. It's supposed to be here today. I had thought it might already be here when I got up, but it's UPS this time. If it had been FedEx, it would have been here this morning. UPS arrives about 5:30. We still have the same delivery guy(s) as at the lake, which is nice.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Rheassi-Sim » June 23rd, 2015, 10:26 pm

I am completely the opposite with disks. I am always losing them so I like buying online and downloading. I am also on a serious budget so being able to find a game for less then 11.00 is perfect for me.

I started playing around in sandbox mode last night. It does have less missions but I do like that I can just go my own direction too. So far I have been fairly successful but I am also still playing on easy mode :)

My only complaint so far is that I think the tutorial was lacking. It did not teach much about defense or how to keep people happy other then pointing you to the almanac. I finally figured out if a category has a 0 or a low number I need to build something in that category to make people happy.It also did not go over the different factions on your island well. I also had a little trouble figuring out alliances and diplomacy. Trading is fun though I did start out accidentally importing when I meant to export lol. The tutorial could have used more in depth missions but its been fun so far.
Rheassi-Sim
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » June 24th, 2015, 12:21 am

Thank you for mentioning those things! I'll watch out for them! My new video card has just been installed, and as soon as I finish here, I'm going to try the game! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » June 24th, 2015, 4:54 am

Well...my new video card is great, and I'm glad I have it. It ought to be better for Sims games. However, I had forgotten that one of the main things I didn't like about Tropico 3, is the dictator reading the very wordy intro screens...sigh. I also don't care for the way the mechanics of the game work, with the limited scrolling abilities. I've never cared much for edge scrolling...it drives me crazy when that's the only way to get to something on the screen.

I did play for a little bit, but then closed it out, and I doubt I'll ever play it. I may try it again a couple of times, to see if I can get into it, but...I'm kind of thinking it won't happen.

Since we've been here, I did also update my Sim City 5, and have tried to play it a couple of times, without much success, also. I just can't seem to get into that, either, even though I did like it before.

Part of it probably is just that I'm running on fumes a bit, with all the stuff that needs to be done, still. We'll see...maybe both of them will catch my interest more, when the move isn't so new!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby FaithfulApostle » June 24th, 2015, 2:54 pm

Linda, I don't have my volume on so I never hear the dictator (or Penultimo or whoever) reading. I just read it quickly and move on. :rotfl:

Steph, in the journal (or whatever they call it in game), as you click on each tab you can usually see what each group needs to be happy. It will usually say "build a radio tower" or whatever. Also, each group usually will have a pop up with suggestions as to what to build. Try not to build too many things from any one faction or you'll skew your demographics in that area. Try to stay pretty even handed with things. If you start having a lot of coups and are having trouble remaining dictator, give me a shout out and I'll try to help. :friends:
FaithfulApostle
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » June 24th, 2015, 6:35 pm

I might try it that way, Lydia. I usually like having the sound on, at least somewhat. In some games you can turn off some sound options and still have what you want turned on. I'll have to check the settings. Thanks!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » June 25th, 2015, 4:38 pm

Interesting! I saw the sale on Steam the other day too and ended up getting Tropico 4 (with all the DLCs) and Tropico 5 for $16.00. I'm not quite sure I'll like them (haven't had time to try them out yet), but if I don't, I know Travis will. ;-)
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » June 25th, 2015, 9:59 pm

Wow ! I didn't see that particular sale! Good job on getting all of that for that price!!!

I need to introduce 5 to the boys. Harry, at least, might like it.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » June 26th, 2015, 4:51 pm

:uhhuh: ;-)

I think Ethan and Lucas might like it too. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Tropico