Sunflower County: PLANNING & SET UP

In this public forum, you'll discover little newspaper update articles about my TS2 Sims Households. Enjoy!

Moderator: PattyHeart

Sunflower County: PLANNING & SET UP

Postby PattyHeart » August 2nd, 2016, 11:41 pm

I have established a new 'Sim To Sim' Sims 2 neighborhood (actually Songbird Hills is a good sized town with a history). This is a play style that has developed and become deeper and more versatile over time owing to the sharing of ideas and inspiration.

Basically the player sets up and manages the community as a realistic working town, city or village. We can choose any era and any type of geographic location.

Sims can own businesses and employ other Sims. We set up our own educational system and whatever else our community needs such as social services, a bank, etc. and so on.

Some of us keep loose records while others prefer detailed records ( such as spread sheets).

Even if you do not play The Sims 2 and are not interested in doing this yourself, I hope that some may find the development of and goings on in Songbird Hills to be interesting. (Thank You for taking time to visit!)
A few days ago my game began to experience problems affecting every neighborhood. To make a long story short - by the time I worked out what the conflicts were I had reset the game - and had begun to re-do Sunflower County in a way that is more manageable. So, all is well that ends well. I am still enjoying the trip along the way and you are welcome to join me.viewtopic.php?f=165&t=3251
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Songbird Hills

Postby PattyHeart » August 2nd, 2016, 11:43 pm

This past week I have been setting up and starting a new "Sim To Sim" nieghborhood. After needing to reset my game some time ago I plum forgot to replace the stealth hoods with clean, empty ones! Which is why I cleaned house and pared things down to just this one neighborhood.
snapshot_00000013_a4a93e66.jpg
snapshot_00000013_a4a93e66.jpg (99.24 KiB) Viewed 675 times

I've used a neatly arranged SC4 file that I created some years ago. The town is a nice fat. flat rectangle divided into 'blocks' of various sizes with one main highway for imagined coming and going which can be loosely divided into income based residential and commercial areas. (Something that comes in very handy when building and managing a neighborhood is the tool that lets us move and rearrange lots!)

Just as some others do - I leave decorating the hood to be done after lots are placed and arranged.

There are no vacant lots, however there are a few small open spaces in town where the tiny lots will likely fit in. Songbird Hills has not been a stagnant town. Something that has contributed to its vitality is the (recently closed) coal mine and lumber mill over in nearby Evergreen County. Many Sims who lost jobs packed up and moved out of Songbird Hills. Those who remained are largely unemployed. There is talk of a Widget Factory being built outside of town up past the hospital, bus depot and apartments; however, not everyone is happy about the possibility of a large portion of the old woods being cut down. What was for years a booming economy has slowed while remaining stable for the past five years. However, Songbird Hills now faces competition.

A faltering town on the other far side of Sunflower County just over the county line in Oceanside County has been revived and now also offers shopping, entertainment, dining and medical services. The Pine Meadow Loggers have for decades been one of our basketball teams biggest rivals. Now Pine Meadow is competing with us on an economic level. Will Songbird Hills at least be able to hold steady?

The idea was that Songbird Hills is a good sized, planned growth town on the edge of rural Sunflower County and serves both the needs of the town and part of the county. This is where Sims come to use the newer, well equipped hospital (Mercy Hospital by ...) or small clinic & pharmacy. Rural children are bused in to attend school from Kindergarten to High School. We also have a community college and a technical - trade college (both open to adults, elders and high school students.

I made a list of what services the town would provide (medical, police, family & social services. savings & loan, real estate, legal services, library etc.)

Sims also come here to shop, buy groceries. dine out and enjoy recreational activities. We have ..... Sports and Recreation Center and .....Sims Broadcasting Network HQ.

There are two working farms on the edge of town along with a pumpkin patch year round farm type park and a country wedding venue ( refurbished barn ).

Overtime several shops and businesses will be owned by Sims who employ other Sims from the community.

First things first!

I used CAS to create the mayor, City Treasurer, Head of Education, Head of Social and Family Services, Head of Public Health and Safety, Chief of Police. Head of Public Relations and Tourism and a Banker (who owns the Savings & Loan). I temporarily moved my mayor onto a small vacant lot for a meet and greet with his staff and with the banker. My mayor now lives in an appropriately large home and will be going out and about town to meet community members. His staff and the banker have all been placed individually in apartments out along the main road into town.

So far only one family, the MacDonalds, has been created and moved in. They are a married couple with a child and a teen who own and operate a large farm. Currently they are saving up for a down payment on a nearby farm market and plan to apply for a loan (at Family Savings and Loan). Playing 3 seasons with aging off and one with aging on. When this family is well enough established and can purchase the market it will be time to move in another household in need of employment. Over time more businesses will be owned providing more employment opportunity.

Planning ahead while remaining flexible and open to inspiration matters.

So, this is how things are currently in my built by and for Sims neighborhood (town).

11:26 AM 7/31/2016
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Songbird Hills Office Of Education

Postby PattyHeart » August 2nd, 2016, 11:45 pm

Office Of Education

Manages, oversees and keeps records of:

Songbird Elementary
Songbird Highschool
Community College
Sim State Technical
Little Chicks Early Education

Education Minister & Head of Board of Education:

Miss Shelby Smart

Current School Board Members:

Mrs. Laura MacDonald
Miss Darcy Dogudder
Mr. Bernard Simoleon
Miss Wilma Steele

Office Of Education Description:

As a community we understand the importance of high quality education and seek to provide continuing educational oportunities for Sims of every age,income level,and ability. We offer grants and scholarships for those who qualify.

Childhood Education:

Home Schooling is illegal within all of Sunflower County. Children are required by law to attend school begining with Kindergarten and ending with graduation from highschool. Early education is optional.

All parents are encouraged to enroll thier children in our early start program; Little Chicks Early Education. This is a well structured play based, no cost program funded by contributions from our local branch of the Sims Women's Institute (the SWI). Classes are held in the Family Services Center begining at the age of 3 and lasting until the child begins Kindergarten. By the age of 3 all toddlers should be potty trained and naturally will have learned to walk and to talk to be accepted into the program. (No Exceptions)

Toddlers enrolled in Little Chicks will be helped to aquire a good head start with cognitive and social skills which can be enhanced at home by teaching nursery rhymes, playing with and reading to the child and by providing program approved educational toys. While optional this early training has been proven to improve future academic performance.

A perk that comes from completion of Little Chicks is a 50 percent reduction in cost if the child enrolls in a highschool job training program at the Community College. Enrollment at the CC automatically grants admission to Sim State Technical. What is not available at either is generally offered at the other. A Little Chicks completion certificate must be presented upon registration.

Little Chicks Certificates are given only to children who achive the following prior to reaching school age:

*Potty Trained
*Learn to talk.
*Learn to walk
*Memorize a nursery rhyme
Skills:

Elementary School:
(Basic Certificate, minimum requirements)
*Read Fire Safety Book
*Earn one Bronze Talent Badge
*2 child townie friends
Skill Points:
*4 Cooking
*3 Mechanical
*3 Logic
*3 Creativity
*3 Body

Extra Credit:
*Membership in one secret lot.
*Feed and care for a pet,
*Start a bug collection

High School
(Basic Certificate, minimum credits)
*Read Physiology Book
*Read Life Long Happiness Book
*One Silver Talent Badge
*3 teen townie friends
Skills:
*6 Logic
*6 Body
*8 Cooking
*6 Mechanical
*6 Creativity
*4 Charisma

Extra Credit:
*Total of 2 Secret Hobby Lot memberships (University)
*Write a term paper (Book) (University)
*Complete Bug Collection

Teen Job Training. (A less expensive option for teens who can not afford or prefer not to leave town to attend University)

Visit CC office on campus to register. Bring a $200.00 check as payment. (Education Office in care of Miss Shelby Smart) Registration fee reduced to $100.00 it Little Chicks Certificate has been earned.

Sign up for a part time (after school and week ends) job. While all jobs offer experience and a paycheck not all offer an aprenticeship. Upon graduation apprenticeship jobs bring an offer for continued employment with an automatic promotion.

Students must maintain a B or B+ grade average to keep ajob. Students with poor or failing grades will be fired.

Students who maintain a high grade average and who reach the top of a teen career may choose a second Life Aspiration.

Young Adult Education: (Out of Town University)

Teens who roll and keep want to attend college may register and travel to Land Grant Univerity two or four days prior to becoming young adults if the following acceptance requirements have been met:

*All Minimum High School credits
*Three Scholarships
*Membership in two hobby lots.
*Write a term paper (book)
*B+ Grade Average

The following non-refundable fees must be paid:

*Books $300.00
*Univeristy Transport Bus Fare $200.00

Total of $1,000 . Checks must be made payable to Songbird Hills Education Department (in care of Miss Shelby Smart).

Parenting and Expectant Parent Classes:

No Cost

Basic Parenting:
Visit Family Services Office to register.
Read Parenting Book
Attend lecture and view family movies at Family services Center

Pre-Natal, Child Birth and Infant Care:
Read Parenting Book
Attend Lecture and view family films at Family services Center
Visit and tour maternity ward and newborn nursery at Mercy Hospital
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Planning The Community

Postby PattyHeart » August 2nd, 2016, 11:53 pm

How do I plan an Integrated Sim to Sim nieghborhood?

I will have a rough start up outline in my mind as if writing a novel and then work out details as I go along. This time around my focus starting out is on one family; the MacDonald's who represent the 4th generation of one of the first families to make the area thier home. When the first MacDonald established the farm that has stayed in the family what was to become the town of Songbird Hills was basically a general store, post office, church and parsonage (vicarage) lined up raggedly along one side of a rough rural road.

Douglas and Laura MacDonald are raising two children, Saul and Ginger. The entire family must pitch in and do thier share. They have a certain stature and attract some respect simply because they are the only descendents of a 'founding family' who still live in Songbird Hills.

What has made this even more interesting has been to , overtime, come across mods, inspiration, ideas, objects, lots and CC that "make all the difference" and allow more depth to the project.

Even though it may not be evident at a glance there is a purpose for every seemingly stray detail including completing Bug Collections and earning scholarships even when a teen will not attend University.

**Bug Collection Completion Prize Package (Sponsered by Songbird Hills Garden Club**

There is an award for completed bug collections..a reward worth working towards! Sims are encouraged to take up this hobby at an early age. It can take several years to find all of the listed bugs, spiders and butterflies. The generous prize package includes a framed certificate and varies from year to year depending on funding and donations from local merchants.

**High School Scholarship Redemption Program (Funded by Songbird Hills SWI)**

The monetary value of scholarships earned by high school students is redemable only if the student attends University. The members of the Songbird Hills SWI (Sims Women's Institute) being in agreement that this is most unfair set about doing something about it. This led to an ongoing funds rasing effort. Adult Sims who have earned certain scholarships and who wish to open one specific related business now qualify for generous business start up grants. This effort is making it possible for Sims to start new small businesses which have the potential to further strengthen our local economy.

Another player (over at MTS) jokingly remarked that as a Homeschooler she is glad to not live in Sunflower County! This law is an example of my effort to include things that stir up some controversy in the town. There is already much grmbling about the very real possiblilty of a large portion of the old woods outside of town and up past the bus depot, community college, petrol station and apartments being destroyed so that a Widget Factory can be built. The next town meeting promises to be interesting seeing how much of the talk has become quite heated both for and against!

3:52 PM 8/2/2016
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: Sim To Sim, Integrated Nieghborhood

Postby PattyHeart » August 2nd, 2016, 11:57 pm

Just a note to say that I will be adding pictures!
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » August 3rd, 2016, 12:17 am

Wow! That is quite an undertaking!!! Looking forward to pictures!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » August 10th, 2016, 5:09 am

lindawing wrote:Wow! That is quite an undertaking!!! Looking forward to pictures!!!

Doing this a little at a time it keeps it manageable and enjoyable. I leave it to simmer while doing other things or playing other games such as Fallout.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby PattyHeart » August 10th, 2016, 5:15 am

Today I added a sub hood to Songbird Hills representing rural Sunflower County. (Riverblossom Hills map) to provide a place for my co-op farm (which my husband says is really a kibbutz..so should be called what it is.) So, he's right. This took me a while to build and to playtest. The co-op farm is a small community with its own school and its own economic system. There is a well stocked fishing pond, green house, rose garden, sunflower field, huge vegetable garden, apple orchard, nursery-childcare building, communal kitchen and dining, communal bath, and a bunk house with a living room type gathering area on the first floor. The buildings have all been created from salvaged shipping containers. It was established about 40 years earlier by an impatient group whose enthusiasm soon dissipated leaving it's dedicated founder, Miss Sunny Rainbow, to keep it running. No easy task for one woman!

Miss Rainbow took time out to complete her education and became certified to teach kindergarten through highschool. After graduation she qualified as a Sunflower County foster parent providing a home, education and training in farming, pottery, tailoring/dressmaking as well as training to become a florist. Her many foster children left with both work and basic life skills. Best of all they learned how to work together and on their own. The sale of hand crafted items, organic produce, fresh fish and lovely floral arrangements provided funds to meet needs and for upkeep and improvements. Including turning part of the land into an area where 'green energy' (wind turbines) is generated and sold.

The focus is on farming, music and producing hand crafted items. There is no television, no computer and no radio. They do have a landline telephone.

Currently Sunny, now an active elderly lady, operates Sunflower Co-Op Farm with the help of her adopted daughter, Sally; granddaughter Billie Jo (child) and Sunny's newly adopted son, Serdar and a weekly hired hand (gardener). Miss Sunny is at odds with the county and with the powers that be in Songbird Hills over the law prohibiting homeschooling that came into effect ten years ago. Every single one of her foster children had been homeschooled and several went on to University.

The kibbutz adds some interest and variety.

I will say besides being a lot of fun this is very good mental exercise for this old lady (nearly 70 ) and still a Lady
Gamer :-)

Note: I plan to share the Kibbutz here. However, it does contain a little CC (objects). Need to check on the creators sharing policies. I will also go back and create a NO CC version. I play test saved to file copies and share only lots from my building hood where lots are never occupied by Sims. My testing hood is a separate neighborhood.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » August 10th, 2016, 5:28 am

That all sounds great! Looking forward to photos, and I know Patty, for sure, will want that kibbutz!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » August 10th, 2016, 3:46 pm

lindawing wrote:That all sounds great! Looking forward to photos, and I know Patty, for sure, will want that kibbutz!!!

I hope to upload the kibbutz later on today or tomorrow. Depends on spare time and energy ((LOL))!!
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » August 10th, 2016, 11:09 pm

Just checked it out! It's great!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » August 10th, 2016, 11:59 pm

lindawing wrote:Just checked it out! It's great!!!

Thank You, Linda. Took a while to remove and replace the extra CC that is used in my game version!

Been thinking and will create a new 'newspaper" type thread for Songbird Hills keeping this one for sharing set up and planning . This will feel more organized and should make the current news and photos easier to look at.

I am playing and focusing on a small number of households with long life spans as main characters/ major players; and treating the mayor's staff and start up town officials as minor characters or supporting actors. And then there are the 'townies', or extras, who play an important role, after all, as someone else put it 'we don't know (and are not friends with) everyone living in and near to our real life community. (A good way to explain why townies matter in my game!).

The reason for requiring child Sims to make friends of 3 child townies is to provide 3 Sims to age up with as teens, adults and as elders.

Also, for the most part adult Sims who do marry will wed townies.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Mods and More

Postby PattyHeart » August 11th, 2016, 1:15 am

Mods that I am using: (I have others installed but these are important to my integrated/ Sim to Sim communities.

*Banking _ The Token Wallet by Christianlov is a simple way to for Sims to set up individual accounts from childhood on and to be able to transfer funds (such as loans, taxes, salaries, etc. to other Sims.

*Child Support Mod

*BO_kids and pets unattended (keeps the Social Worker away)

*Community Skilling - Makes community lots such as gyms, trade schools and libraries more useful!

*FFSdebugger
*SimBlender

*Manuscript-MOG (write books, term papers etc.) without a computer

*Phaenoh- phonebook (Look up any Sims phone number)

*Eat-civilized

*Crib sleep at night

*SW-No witches on community lots (thier appearance is an interuption that stops and slows things down on the lot.)

*SW-Harvested-plants-dissapear-promptly

*BO -no auto read to toddler
*StayThings bush

*Moo -allow multiple shopping hoods (so I can add unpopulated subhoods created at MTS such as Baskerville, Crowborrough or Black Mesa, Subhoods that include vacant homes and community lots.)

CONFESSION!!! I use the maxmotives cheat ( and any other "cheat") as often as I want to. After all this is my game and I'll play how I want to ((LOL)). My community is set up with keeping it FUN and stress free a priority!! This is playtime :-)
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » August 11th, 2016, 2:42 am

Sounds good! I like the sound of most of those mods, too. ;-) My TS2 is modded. I waited until TS3 came out to use more than a couple. TS3 is also modded...same thing there...I waited until TS4 came out before adding more than one or two mods. TS4 is also modded...no waiting. I needed some things to be in place early on! :lol:

Of course, I still don't have any of them re-installed...I will do it soon...I promise!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby PattyHeart » August 21st, 2016, 7:33 pm

Just stopping in to update progress . I am playing each household according to a 'rotation schedule' getting them acquainted with their neighbors and community, watching how they behave in general and how they get along with others before I begin sharing their stories. This is also helping me to see where the community is headed as a whole and what their concerns and conflicts are.

I will make a separate thread for each main household or family line outside of the news type thread (Welcome to Sunflower County).

And..I have little by little fussed with and made changes to the neighborhood décor. Something that has really helped was discovering the Jessa Channel at You Tube and watching her neighborhood building video chats. She shares mods to download and viewers "Team Jessa" (LOL) also help out by sharing links and suggestions. Very, very helpful!

THE JESSA CHANNEL:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvLfFC ... lezqd9n8uA

I have also used neighborhood deco found at Mod The Sims.
PattyHeart
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Next

Return to TS2--Neighborhood News