MMO Suggestions

This is a public forum. Discuss your favorite games here that do not fall into any of the other categories. If a game is popular enough, we will add its own forum category.

MMO Suggestions

Postby BujoGamer1971 » May 30th, 2018, 8:04 pm

In my quest to find a new MMO I am subscribing to Everquest 2 for one month to see if I want to play it long term again. For many many years I played MMOs with hubby and the last 6 months I have been trying them alone. I just can't seem to settle into one!

So far I have tried:

Neverwinter Online: (Xbox One) Tried this one for 3 months and I do enjoy playing it but our Xbox stopped working so hubby and our son are sharing his which means I don't often get to use it lol. I did however find that in the end game it became very competitive and reminded me a bit of the cutthroat nature of WoW. I have 2 level 70s and both are struggling now to keep up when before it was very easy.

Dungeons and Dragons Online: (PC) Hubby set up his pc for me when the Xbox died and I went to DDO first. It is a very old game but it has a lot of depth. Great character creation and advancement, great storylines and very easy to solo. I do enjoy it but the biggest cons are you really can not enjoy it without a subscription and the population is very very low. In 2 months I only saw another player once and very rarely saw anything in chat. I prefer to solo but I like people to talk to and group with when its needed. I can not really comment on the end game as I have not reached it and since I decided to cancel my subscription my two main characters are not playable due to classes and races I chose which are not free. Also without a subscription a good chunk of the content is not accessible.

Elder Scrolls Online: (Xbox One) Same issue as above with getting playtime. It also felt more like a single player game. I tried it for a month and was fairly frustrated with some of the systems like the map for instance I found confusing and found it hard to locate my quest objectives. There were people around but it was very quiet. May give it a go another time.

WoW: I considered trying WoW again but I have never played it alone and found that rather intimidating. Also I took a look at the forums and I was reminded how the population is large but very competitive and not very friendly. I am keeping this one on the list for now but don't plan to try it again till I try a few others. I quit the last time due to the unfriendly population and I started having panic attacks in dungeons and raids.

Guild Wars 2: (PC) Hubby says we own this but I have never tried it so I added it to the list.

Star Wars the old Republic: (PC) We do own this one but I have never tried it for more then a few days with hubby a long time ago. Leaving it on the list for now to try at a later date.

Anyone have any suggestions?

I can afford one subscription up to 14.99 a month and prefer when possible not to have to buy software as it can get pricey.
BujoGamer1971
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Re: MMO Suggestions

Postby lindawing » May 30th, 2018, 9:34 pm

I think you might enjoy Guild Wars 2. I have it and for a while, was playing it quite a lot, but then started making more Minecraft videos an between that and Sims, I had to choose, so GW2 lost out. Two nice things about it are that even if you don't have the latest expansions, when you log in online, it will update everything possible, except for stuff you can't use because of not having purchased the new stuff. Also, once you have even the base game, it's totally free to play online...there are just some places you won't be able to go and things you won't be able to complete without the expansions.

The online community is very active, and seems to be nicer, overall, than the WoW community.

Also, you can get good deals on expansions, after a while. When I started, I got two, free, for the price of pre-ordering the new one that was coming out in two months. I think I'm at least an expansion behind, now, but they only do expansions every few years, and then they add content and regions to play, at least a couple of times a year.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby BujoGamer1971 » May 31st, 2018, 7:22 am

I will look into it. I think hubby mentioned he had one expansion. After we get the car fixed my next thing I want to save for is a new laptop.One of the reasons I am researching games so much is so I can get one that will run what I want to play. I do not need fancy just like it to run the stuff I want lol.
BujoGamer1971
Creators' Corner
Creators' Corner

Postby lindawing » May 31st, 2018, 12:00 pm

I agree! Fancy doesn't cut it with me...just give me GOOD utility, that will run my STUFF! ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Gaming Discussion