Sid Meier's Railroads!

This is a public forum. Discuss your favorite games here that do not fall into any of the other categories. If a game is popular enough, we will add its own forum category.

Sid Meier's Railroads!

Postby lindawing » April 23rd, 2014, 10:00 am

I've mentioned this game before, but I never posted any pictures. SMR is a "come-back" game made by Sid Meier, that is similar to his original Railroad Tycoon game, but in 3D. It actually works on Windows 7, though it's a 2006 game. It's not very long...not like the other Railroad Tycoon games with tons and tons of maps and scenarios. I think there are only about a dozen, all told.

Anyway...I was playing through the first one last night and today, and thought I'd post a few screenshots. You can't just take screenshots in the game, but I used Print Screen and then pasted the clipboard contents into Paint.net (quick and easy). You can get an idea about how the railroads get put together.

These were all taken after I won the first scenario WAY early on (on my 7th or 8th try...lol), and had time to really play around and build my RR empire while waiting on the timeline to finish. I ended up being "The General of the Armies" or something like that. This was with 1 competitor. I won the scenario with no competitors after as many tries, and came out as "Ringleader of the Circus," so this one was much better. :rotfl:

SMR-042214-A.jpg
SMR-042214-A.jpg (628.22 KiB) Viewed 335 times

SMR-042214-B.jpg
SMR-042214-B.jpg (561.38 KiB) Viewed 335 times

SMR-042214-C.jpg
SMR-042214-C.jpg (610.36 KiB) Viewed 335 times

SMR-042214-D.jpg
SMR-042214-D.jpg (578.93 KiB) Viewed 335 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Sid Meier's Railroads!

Postby psychedelicsim » April 23rd, 2014, 11:22 am

Woot! Very cool pics, Linda. :joy: I bet Ethan would like this one. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » April 23rd, 2014, 7:20 pm

I was looking on Amazon for it last night, and it looks like you can still get a copy of the official game from 2K, for about $20. I got this one for $9, a couple of years back, now. There are copies up for sale for like $6, but they have to be shipped from the UK, evidently, and they are NOT listed as PRIME, so there would probably be horrendous shipping costs.

I'm thinking you might be able to find a used copy at e-BAY.

GameStop has it available through their Game Downloader thingy:
http://www.impulsedriven.com/smrailroads

That app looks like it runs similar to Origin (but probably a whole lot better). They don't give the price for the game in that link. It looks like you have to download the game app first, and install it, to see what the price is for any of the older games like that.

What I like about the game is how variable it is. It's never exactly the same, any time you start up even the same scenario. You get options, but even using the same options every time, the things like the vineyards, cornfields, mines, etc. area in different places each time, and you could start at any one of the dozen or so small or large towns along the way (it starts you automatically in one place, and you have to build from there, but each time it's a different place). You have the same three sections of goals to finish for the first scenario, for instance, no matter where you start, but you get an infinite variety of ways to play. If you don't like what you see around your starting town, just go back to the main menu and start over. The game only takes about 30 seconds to load, so that makes it easy.

You have to learn about train "consists" (cargoes), and work to keep fulfilling the changing market, which I think is very educational for kids, as well as being challenging even for adults.

I just wish the whole Railroad Tycoon set would be rewritten for Windows 7 and higher!!! I could play those games FOREVER!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » April 24th, 2014, 11:30 am

I'm right with you on those games being rewritten for Windows 7 and higher! :uhhuh:

I found a seller on eBay that has the game listed for $9.99 with free shipping from Florida. :yeah:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » April 24th, 2014, 7:20 pm

Super! :joy: :hooray:

After six or seven false starts yesterday, last night, I beat the #2 scenario with LOTS of time to spare. It has two difficult parts. First you have to build your main line so that it connects from NY, to Phil, to DC. Once that's done (not hard), you have to move 50 carloads of immigrants directly from NY to DC, while still keeping other trains going to keep bringing in the cash and building your empire. That means you have to have at least one dedicated track that goes all that way. After a while, you have to start networking that track, because the trains pile up too high and get too many delays. The first few engines can only pull two cars effectively, and even that's VERY slow. You only have 50 years in which to make that immigrant objective, and the years go by very quickly.

Once you finally achieve that, you also have to already be working on getting a steel mill built in NY, and by 1970, you have to have shipped 100 carloads of steel out from NY. There are other objectives that have to be worked in, too, but those two are the hardest.

I worked frantically to even find the coal that was needed to keep the steel mill working. There were only four colliers located on the map that time, which I hadn't noticed before winning the 50-immigrant objective. YIKES! Two of the colliers were WAY down at the bottom of the map, and I had to get very creative to get tracks up to NY to get the coal to them. Then I had to find a place that would take the steel, to mfg automobiles. There was only ONE place (Reading) in my area, that hadn't been taken over by the other railroad (of which I finally had gathered the 50% of shares that were necessary for THAT objective. Finally, DC opened up to need steel, also. I had totally forgotten that I could have built an auto mfg plant at any of the other cities. :doh:

I was totally surprised when I actually beat the whole scenario in 1932--38 years ahead of schedule! Woot! :hooray:

I did find out that the print screen button DOES actually make screenshots! :joy: Here are my victory screen from last night, and a shot of NY City, after the final objective was met in 1932 (I played it out from there, until 1970, to get the best victory).

NYCity-Scenario2-042314.jpg
NYCity-Scenario2-042314.jpg (565.98 KiB) Viewed 327 times

PresOfUS-Scenario2-042314.png
PresOfUS-Scenario2-042314.png (329.43 KiB) Viewed 327 times

I should be working more today on getting things posted here, but it's cold and gray, and I think I'm going to immerse myself in a pretty railroad world once again. Back in a while. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » April 25th, 2014, 11:39 am

Woot! :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Return to General Gaming Discussion