Linda's Handicrafts

This public forum is expressly for sharing things we like to do when we're not playing computer games. Some of us cross stitch. Some knit. Some crochet. Some do all of those, and more! What do YOU do in your spare time?

Linda's Handicrafts

Postby lindawing » December 4th, 2014, 11:06 am

I'm trying to get a couple of items knitted in time for Christmas this year. I found a toddler ruffle dress that I really like, and it looks so simple, but the pattern is turning out to be more than I bargained for, because it's atypical. I want to make one for Judi's little girl Elizabeth, and one for my granddaughter Crystyl's little girl Meila. I'll post pictures here as I go. They may end up just getting scarves, as the boys will probably get, as well. :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Linda's Handicrafts

Postby psychedelicsim » December 4th, 2014, 12:32 pm

Cool! I'm looking forward to seeing how everything turns out. :joy:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 4th, 2014, 11:56 pm

I was trying to do the bottom of the first ruffle (all in one...back and front...on a circular needle...by hand) last night. It took me two sessions just to get the 260 sts cast on, and then it took an hour to get the first two rows done before I had to switch colors for an accent row, which I did last night, which took another hour. I realized then, that there is NO way I'll be able to handknit two little dresses before Christmas...sigh. I knit very fast, but these are made from baby/sport yarn, and there are just too many sts to do, and I can't sit and do it for more than a couple of hours, before I need to put it down for the next day. Not only will my hands and arms not handle that, but it hurts my back, hips, and knees, as well, due to the posture.

So...I'm going to try one more time on the machine, and do it in a less complicated way than I was trying to do the other day. I wanted to make just one seam (down the back), but that makes it too hard to manage on the machine. So I will do the panels as the pattern calls for...an identical back and front.

If the one-more-time effort doesn't work out, all the kids will get new scarves! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » December 5th, 2014, 11:48 am

I hope it works out, but scarves are wonderful gifts too! :joy:

I really wish I could knit or cross-stitch, but my hands keep falling asleep or hurt after a little while. Maybe next year. :uhhuh:
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 5th, 2014, 9:39 pm

My main problem this year is my legs. It's hard to sit still in one place, long enough to work properly on any project.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 7th, 2014, 1:42 am

I changed my chairs around. I had bought a new desk chair a month or so ago, and I was using it out here. My older one (that has been repaired once already), is a full-back, comfortably-cushioned chair without a sharp or flat edge in the front, so that it doesn't cut off my circulation. I found a similar one when buying the new one, but because it was $40 less, I settled for the mid-back chair. It's definitely a comfortable cushion, but it doesn't roll as well, and the seat is not as deep (it's as wide, but for my knee support, I need the full depth of the other chair. Plus the new one seems to tilt just ever so slightly forward, which throws me off when sitting here at the computer, and by the end of the day, it has made my knees and hips quite uncomfortable (more so than usual...there's always pain, no matter what).

So yesterday I had David change the chairs out for me. The new one went to my knitting machine, which actually does BETTER with a slight lean forward while I'm working there, and the old one came back out here to the computer. I think this is going to work much better! :uhhuh:

I did get the back of the lower ruffle done, for one little dress. Tonight I will do the handknit band at the bottom of the front for that ruffle (it's identical to the back part). I'm using three colors: baby purple, baby yellow, and mint green. Since the purple is actually baby yarn and the other two are baby sport, I have to use a different size needle when knitting the part of the ruffle band, which is knitted in garter stitch. I can't do garter stitch on the machine. Well...I can...but it involves taking off all 96 sts, turning the piece around, hanging all the sts again, then taking it off, then re-hanging it, etc., for six rows. Not going to happen! :uhuh:

So my casting on and first six rows are handknit. I'll do that part tonight, so that tomorrow morning I'll be ready to make the rest of the lower ruffle. My main color on that ruffle is yellow. When I get the other part of the bottom one done, I'll make the main color green, then the top main color will be yellow. The straps will be green. I'm only using the purple for accents, because of its lighter weight.

Now that I know what I'm doing, and that it works, for the other ruffles, they should go pretty fast. Woot!

This is the dress, by the way:

If I can get them made, I'll try to buy a little shirt similar to the one this little girl has on, to go with each dress.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » December 7th, 2014, 1:40 pm

That is going to be so adorable!!!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 7th, 2014, 9:18 pm

Just getting ready to hang the border for the front lower ruffle on the machine. I'll take a picture when I have both parts done.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 8th, 2014, 12:19 am

Here's a picture of the two bottom ruffle parts "put together" (not sewn...just temporarily laid out) the way they will look eventually. The pieces aren't ironed/blocked yet. In this case, that won't happen until I get ready to sew the front to the back, after the ruffles are totally assembled.

IMG_20141207_163425.jpg
IMG_20141207_163425.jpg (639.46 KiB) Viewed 977 times

This picture shows how the ruffles will overlap. The second layer up will be in different colors, though, and the top layer will, too. More pictures as I go. Again...no blocking yet...but you can get the idea about how the ruffles will build on each other. :uhhuh:

IMG_20141207_163528.jpg
IMG_20141207_163528.jpg (759.35 KiB) Viewed 977 times
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » December 8th, 2014, 2:40 am

It's so lovely and precious already!! I really should start knitting and quilting again and make gifts for next year. I love the colors you are using!! :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 8th, 2014, 11:22 am

Thanks, Melody. I'm hoping, now that my setup is in my room, that I can start getting some things done for NEXT year, too, instead of waiting until the last minute again. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby psychedelicsim » December 8th, 2014, 12:11 pm

Beautiful!!!
psychedelicsim
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 8th, 2014, 8:33 pm

The first band is done for the middle ruffle. Got to put my lenses in, then will begin on the ruffle. This one will have the bottom ruffle added to it before it's done. I'll take another picture after that's accomplished.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » December 8th, 2014, 11:27 pm

Here's what the back looks like, now, with two tiers assembled. I have to do the front the same, tomorrow, By Thursday, I should be able to finish the dress! I thought about trying to do up the front today, too, but it would have taken me an hour to get the bottom band handknit, and then I'd have to sit there at the machine for another 1-1/2 hours or so, and I just couldn't do it. Today's machine knitting went very well, with only a couple of instances of, "Darn it!" :evillaugh:

IMG_20141208_151154.jpg
IMG_20141208_151154.jpg (880 KiB) Viewed 971 times

I'm trying to decide whether or not to go back to the yellow for the top tier, or just go on with the green. I'm kind of afraid that the green in the middle will over-balance the two yellow ruffles, so I may just go with the green, then make the upper band and the straps in yellow.

I wish I had the purple in the baby sport yarn. I've found it at Amazon, now, but it wouldn't match the baby softee yarn I used in the band, so I'm not ordering it. I wish I'd thought to look first. Ah well...
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » December 9th, 2014, 12:04 am

So cute!! :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Crafts R Us