Melody's Craftiness

This public forum is expressly for sharing things we like to do when we're not playing computer games. Some of us cross stitch. Some knit. Some crochet. Some do all of those, and more! What do YOU do in your spare time?

Re: Melody's Craftiness

Postby MelodyOkie » May 16th, 2016, 1:49 pm

And I haven't even started mine. I'm just too OCD - I can't stand not having finished my Poncho!! :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 16th, 2016, 11:33 pm

Exactly...sigh...
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 17th, 2016, 1:20 am

I've unraveled it into giant balls of yarn. :evillaugh: And have cast on the 194 stiches. So far I know (understand) the next step; which will take some time since, after row 1, I have to repeat row 2 (which is the pattern row) until it measures 18". That should take about a month or so.... I think things went wrong when I had to divide the stitches with 1/2 on a holding needle while I did the neck shaping. I'll check back when I'm at the point I no longer understand what it is they want me to do. :evillaugh: I'm using a circular needle - which I hate (but too many stitches for a straight needle to hold! I much prefer the long straight needles because the circulars twist and turn and, to me, are much harder to work with. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 17th, 2016, 2:37 am

Laughing about the month or so...ah yes. I have a feeling you're right about where you might have gotten off. :uhhuh:

I agree about using circular needles for something like this. You COULD just connect it and go on around in circles, but you'd have to do the purl patten stitches backwards to equal knit stitches. Ummm...probably no...
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 17th, 2016, 2:55 pm

Yes, I have to knit it back and forth so as not to mess up on the instructions. Another place I went off, I was afraid I was running out of yarn and may have not knitted the neck opening as large as it needed to be; plus it was a 3 needle bind off. Wow! That was difficult! However, I loved that doing a 3 needle bind off closed the seam and I didn't have to go back and knit that seam together after binding off. It really worked well and was the first time I've done that. I think that is the way I will try to bind off on anything that needs the seams stitched together from now on!! :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 18th, 2016, 12:32 am

Yes (!) about that type of seam-weaving bind-off. I've done, it, too, and it's great, though hard to get used to at first. :uhhuh:

I'll bet on a second time with this pattern, you'll get it right with no problems! :joy:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 18th, 2016, 2:31 am

I hope so. I am hoping that I can get the stitches onto the holding needles properly so they are ready to be stitched off, rather than on there backwards. What I generally have to do is put them back onto another needle first, so they are going in the right direction, however, I'm thinking that with the circular needle, I might be able to put them on the holder backwards so they will be going the right way once I'm ready to stitch them back in. Does any of that make any sense? :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 18th, 2016, 5:10 am

I think so! I have the same problems sometimes. :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 18th, 2016, 4:20 pm

You're braver than me! I just don't even attempt anything I don't fully understand. The last major knitting I did, I used the super chunky yarn, where a scarf can be made in an hour or so :evillaugh: I also knitted little hats for the Innocent smoothie bottles, it's a charity thing, you donate knitted tiny hats for bottles of drink, they donate 25p to charity for every one sold, later in the year they'll have little bottles wearing hats, it's adorable!

http://www.thebigknit.co.uk/
Attachments
photo-23.jpg
photo-23.jpg (796.87 KiB) Viewed 488 times
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 18th, 2016, 6:13 pm

Those are darling!! :yeah: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 18th, 2016, 10:18 pm

What a fun idea! Now I'm thinking of some fun Christmas presents!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 25th, 2016, 4:39 pm

They are SO cute! I can imagine little girls wanting them for their Barbie and Sindy dolls, I know I would have :evillaugh:

You could put sweets in them wrapped in a bit of tissue paper for little stocking fillers ;-)
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 25th, 2016, 6:19 pm

Those are great ideas!! :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 25th, 2016, 10:52 pm

Aha! We have several baby dolls around here that both Wesley and Elizabeth lug around all over the place. They could use some new hats, booties, and maybe a sweater set each!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 27th, 2016, 8:34 pm

My grandma said yesterday they'd make great boiled egg cosies!
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Crafts R Us