Spam Spaghetti

One of the "crafting" things we like to do is cooking! This is a public forum where we share our recipes. Feel free to create a new topic anytime you have something NUMMY to share!

Spam Spaghetti

Postby MelodyOkie » April 22nd, 2017, 6:52 pm

Terry loves Spam. Last night he dreamed he had spam spaghetti, so he looked up and actually found a recipe on-line!

This is our version:

Spam Spaghetti

6 oz angel hair pasta or thin spaghetti noodles
2 T Olive oil
1/2 tsp garlic salt
Full size canned Spam, cubed
1 can diced tomatoes
1 jar pasta sauce
Salt to taste
1 T sugar
Chopped parsley
some Catsup, Italian seasoning to taste
Plus 1 scoop (ladle) of spaghetti water

Cook spaghetti in salted water with a bit of olive oil until al dente. Drain (Make sure you've used 1 ladle full of this water in your spam/sauce mixture before draining!!)

Heat 2 T olive oil in skillet with garlic salt. Add spam and cook til brown.
Add tomatoes and pasta sauce. Add sugar, parsley and salt to taste. Then add
catsup and Italian seasoning to taste. Add scoop of spaghetti water. Stir to
combine and cook a bit and serve on top of the cooked angel hair pasta or spaghetti.

This so good that I may never eat spaghetti with hamburger meat in it again!! Unless we go to a restaurant....
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spam Spaghetti

Postby lindawing » April 23rd, 2017, 12:36 am

That sounds totally delicious! David loves SPAM, too. We buy the LITE version. Unfortunately, he has to stay low-salt these days...sigh.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » April 23rd, 2017, 1:24 am

Oh, no, this definitely would not be a good choice for him. It's probably a poor choice for us as well ... we won't do this too often. Hopefully Terry's dreams will become a bit healthier... :uhhuh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » April 23rd, 2017, 8:09 am

I think you need a break now and again, anyway...what a TREAT! (Pun wasn't intended, but it works...if you know that Treat is...or at least used to be...a competitor to SPAM.) He occasionally grabs a single wedge of pizza when Judi brings it home, and all is still OK. :lol:

More than the sodium thing for David (he's really doing great in that department, though there are some things he can no longer have at all), it's the hardest to keep his Vitamin K at a constant. I can't (or shouldn't) just throw in a different food item now and again that is highly different value (even a lower value) for INR tracking. If I do throw something in, it needs to be about three days before his blood tests, to make sure his Warfarin dosage doesn't have to keep changing all over the place.

Right now he takes one of those daily on M, Th, Sat, & Sun, and two of them daily on T, W, & Fri. That's been working quite well, now for several weeks. That makes Monday nights a good night to do something just a bit different, in the dinner department. :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 8th, 2017, 12:39 am

Well, we probably won't ever have this again.

His latest craving was cutting spam into strips and placing them on a baking sheet along with some frozen French fries and baking them while heating up a can of cream style corn and then mixing it altogether. :doh: Even though he loved it, he moaned and whimpered like a little puppy, the rest of the night, after eating it. So it is decided no more big heavy meals for him in the evenings. He will start eating lighter meals with me in the evenings. Tonight we had a bowl of oatmeal with toast. :uhhuh: :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 8th, 2017, 12:41 am

It sounds delicious, but, yeah...I wouldn't do that for an evening meal, either. I LOVE oatmeal and toast!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 8th, 2017, 12:52 am

Me, too. It was difficult to get him to eat lighter in the evenings. I couldn't handle the things he would have for the evening meal. I could if it were for the brunch meal timing and that is when I fix the larger meals for us both - but we are on our own for the evening meal and he generally gets upset with me because I don't want anything heavy, so I will have something light, like a sandwich, a bowl of cereal or something along those lines. Sometimes he would pout and just eat chips. Then I started making sure he had some small tv dinners he could heat up or a can of soup or something. Then he started doing crazy things like his spam and french-fries. But now he was happy with my idea of the oatmeal and toast. I've also done the scrambled egg sandwich in the evening which he likes, or French toast. I just don't like to work that hard in the evenings. :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 8th, 2017, 1:41 am

That's part of what is harder for me, right now, with fixing dinner each evening for David (and me). He's an early bird, and eats cereal in the AMs, and a sandwich for lunch, so he wants a full dinner in the evenings. It's partly why I've been going to bed even later than usual in the mornings, and getting up in the late afternoon instead of early afternoon. Then I can go ahead and fix dinner and eat it while I still have time to deal with the more heavy meal, and he's happy, too. Also, I have lightened old recipes up on salt, and cut out a lot of starchy stuff, so really, the whole thing is better for me, too. Still...I have to cook every night! :lol:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 8th, 2017, 1:54 pm

:friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Nummy Stuff