Spinach and Kale Salad

One of the "crafting" things we like to do is cooking! This is a public forum where we share our recipes. Feel free to create a new topic anytime you have something NUMMY to share!

Spinach and Kale Salad

Postby MelodyOkie » May 8th, 2014, 11:11 pm

I recently decided to try the Spinach and Kale Salad. I've had Spinach salad before, but I had never tasted Kale and was quite excited to try it. Meanwhile I had run out of my store salad dressing mix - turned out to be quite a good turn of events.

SPINACH and KALE SALAD

I used the already cut and mixed bag of spinach and kale - but just enough for one. However, use the whole bag and serve lots of people because this is delicious. I have found, over all the lettuce, mixed greens, etc. I've tried for my salads - Spinach and Kale is the best. It is more meaty (can you say that about a green?) and it has so much flavor in those greens!!

Homemade Dressing:

(for 1 person) - about 2 Tablespoons mayo (you can use miracle whip if that is your preference, as well and use a lot more if you want to serve others, too)

1 teaspoon sugar (or use honey if you prefer) - to taste for larger servings

1 Tablespoon V8 Splash Smoothie Tropical Colada flavor (more for more)

Toppers:

Top your salad for fun and crunch - whatever you like. Crumbled bacon is always good, homemade croutons (don't use those old hard break your teeth ones they sell at the store!!), mandarin oranges are such a nice addition and would go quite well with this, also some dried cranberries, or any additional fruit or nuts or all of it!!

Pour on your dressing

Add a little grated cheese if you like

Enjoy!!

I could not get enough of this salad!! Was so sad when my plate was licked clean and there wasn't a drop left!! :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Spinach and Kale Salad

Postby lindawing » May 9th, 2014, 10:48 am

That sounds utterly scrumptious!!! I'll see if David can find that kind of salad mix. Our stores seem to be very limited around here...no imagination!

We used to grow our own kale, and it was so lovely. I do miss having all those nice fresh greens! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 9th, 2014, 1:16 pm

I could definitely be a vegetarian ... sort of - because I do like the crumbled bacon on my salads; so I would have to be a "modified" vegetarian!! :evillaugh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 9th, 2014, 2:42 pm

I used to be a vegetarian, the thing that got to me, KFC! However this sounds like a delicious salad vegetarian or otherwise, we all eat veg even us meat eaters ;-)
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 9th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Well...I know a couple of people in my family who really don't like vegies. :lol: They eat them...now and again...because they know they must.

I LOVE vegies and fruits. Yum!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 9th, 2014, 10:28 pm

Oh, me too Linda! It is so difficult to get family to eat veggies, or anything that could be healthy or good for them. Hubby wouldn't touch this stuff!! :doh: :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 10th, 2014, 9:17 am

David is pretty good about it. He actually loves cooked greens, and plenty of other vegies. He's not much of a salad guy, though, and about the only fruit he really likes are grapes, strawberries, and cherries. Oh, and peaches! Those are his favorite thing in all the world!

Jonny likes things like broccoli, cauliflower, and fresh asparagus (so does David). So do I, so we have those things quite often--especially when they're on sale. Most of the time, though, both Jonny and David would prefer to have canned green beans, whereas I fix salads for myself all the time.

My son-in-law Troy will hardly eat vegies at all. It makes Jackie upset. She LOVES vegies of all kinds, and knows that Troy needs to eat them, too, but she has never been able to really convince him to do so. tsk tsk! When it comes to seafood, they're the other way around. Troy will eat just about any type of fish or other seafood, and love it, but it's like pulling teeth to get Jackie to eat anything like that. She will eat a good salmon steak if she cooks it herself, but she's not fond at all of other fish. She does like shrimp, but forget just about anything else, and there's no way at ALL you'll ever get her to eat clams. :evillaugh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 10th, 2014, 4:05 pm

Meat, beans, potatoes and gravy ... that is what Terry likes. He won't eat fruit (maybe an apple sometimes, but seldom and grapes - but won't touch cooked fruit.) :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 13th, 2014, 8:33 am

All these awkward men! Jason will eat most things, but is fussy about it being really hot, he will moan like mad if it's not burning his mouth! Alex is a real pain, loads of things he won't eat, he won't eat mashed potatoes of all things, how can you not like those? Makes it very difficult when trying to plan a meal. I've never been really fussy, will just about try anything, I am easily pleased.
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 13th, 2014, 1:41 pm

My grandsons won't eat potatoes!! So - no mashed, no boiled, no potato salad! And I found out this weekend, they also don't like any meat on the bone. No chicken legs!! We bbq'd chicken legs for them, because generally, that's all the youngsters will eat!! The oldest loved the ribs, though. While the youngest didn't eat much at all because he doesn't like bbq!! It's not easy feeding all these picky eaters. From now on, I think we should fix what we like and they can eat it or not. :doh: :evillaugh: ;-)
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 13th, 2014, 4:13 pm

That's a good idea, they'd soon like potatoes if that's all that's on offer :rotfl:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 13th, 2014, 5:11 pm

:evillaugh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 13th, 2014, 7:57 pm

Oh, man! I sure know how it goes with feeding the grandkids! When our kids were little, there were a few things we didn't FORCE them to eat, but in most cases, they were expected to sit down and eat what everyone else was having.

Judi's kids have so many allergies, that that's just not possible. Each kid has had different allergies, and that's made mealtimes really hard for her. When they come over here, she usually just brings the things for the different ones who still can't eat specific things.

Thankfully, over time, all of her kids have either begun to outgrow or have already outgrown most of the allergies. Nowadays, there are more and more things they can all eat, which is a blessing all the way around. Of course, because they weren't allowed to eat certain things at earlier ages, they have some definite preferences, now, which can make group mealtimes difficult. :-(
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 13th, 2014, 8:12 pm

Even though there are no allergies to worry about, the little one is ADHD+ and there are foods that exacerbate that, so we try to be careful about it. Certain food dyes and some ingredients are just something you don't want the poor boy to have because of the negative reaction and hypersensitivity to them. :uhhuh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 13th, 2014, 9:03 pm

:ohno:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Next

Return to Nummy Stuff