White Chicken Enchiladas

One of the "crafting" things we like to do is cooking! This is a public forum where we share our recipes. Feel free to create a new topic anytime you have something NUMMY to share!

White Chicken Enchiladas

Postby lindawing » May 2nd, 2014, 6:49 pm

The recipes I've been sharing the last few days are from an old friend's Valdez, Alaska FB page. I recently reconnected with her. I had no idea she shares daily recipes. As long as she keeps doing so, I'll probably post most of them here. It looks like we share the same tastes. ;-)

WhiteChickenEnchiladas.jpg
WhiteChickenEnchiladas.jpg (19.64 KiB) Viewed 298 times

8 flour tortillas
2 cups cooked, shredded chicken
2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
3 Tbsp butter
3 Tbsp flour
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sour cream
1 (4 oz) can diced green chilies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Grease, or spray a 9x13 pan with cooking spray.
Mix chicken and 1 cup cheese.
Roll tortillas and place in pan seam side down.
In a sauce pan melt butter under low heat. Stir in flour and cook about 1 minute. Add broth and stir until smooth. Allow to thicken. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream and chilies.

Pour sauce over enchiladas and top with remaining cheese. Bake 20-25 minutes and then broil for a few minutes to brown the cheese.

Instead of making the white sauce and using the sour cream, I think it would be just as effective, and a whole lot easier, to buy bottled Alfredo sauce--whatever your favorite type is. We use Prego, usually. Both Jonny and I can make the white sauce without a problem, but it takes too much time for me, because of my problems with standing anymore, so in case I have to do the cooking, we usually get the bottled stuff--unless we're too short on money.

Also, you could make this a tomato recipe by substituting a bottled (or homemade) pasta sauce and adding Mexican seasonings.

You could also change things up by substituting shredded (or ground) beef or pork.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: White Chicken Enchiladas

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 3rd, 2014, 7:19 pm

Oh my goodness, these look absolutely gorgeous!
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Nummy Stuff