Crispy Crab Nuggets

One of the "crafting" things we like to do is cooking! This is a public forum where we share our recipes. Feel free to create a new topic anytime you have something NUMMY to share!

Crispy Crab Nuggets

Postby lindawing » May 1st, 2014, 9:07 pm

Here's another (sigh) non-diet recipe that is really wonderful. I used to make a similar recipe for crab cakes or shrimp cakes. It also works for leftover fish (though we rarely have any leftovers when we have fish). Lobster would be great with this, too, though really expensive, of course. You can also use imitation crab, though you might want to read THIS before you decide to use it. The main thing I don't like about it is that most varieties have MSG in them. Anyway...here is the recipe.

CrabNuggets.jpg
CrabNuggets.jpg (42.78 KiB) Viewed 742 times

1 pound fresh crab meat (or substitute)
3 slices of dried white bread (crust removed) (or use packaged bread crumbs)
1 egg beaten
1 tablespoon mayonnaise
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning (or your favorite seafood seasoning)
1 tablespoon parsley

The bread should be made into fine bread crumbs. In a large bowl, mix together egg, mayonnaise, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, parsley, and seasoning. Add breadcrumbs and crab meat and mix by hand to avoid breaking up too many of the lumps. You may need to break up the very large lumps however so the crab balls will stay together. Shape into 24 balls and fry in batches in hot oil until golden brown, turning once. Drain on paper towels. Serve with your favorite sauce or don't use any!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Crispy Crab Nuggets

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 1st, 2014, 10:18 pm

They look amazing, I'll bet they are delicious!
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 2nd, 2014, 2:52 am

Oh, they are! At least the ones I used to make were, and I think this is pretty much the same recipe I used to use.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 2nd, 2014, 9:45 am

I wish crab were easier to come by, we tend to have tinned which is really bland, Costco had some that looked good but had an awful aftertaste, I wish more places would sell it frozen.
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 2nd, 2014, 7:02 pm

Same here. I haven't had crab since we left the west coast. Even there, it's a small variety of crab that is quite tasty, but you have to have a ton of them to have much meat. I very much miss having fresh king crab from Alaska. We used to have it for free, all the time, since all you had to do was go set out a crab pot or two, and you could get the small ones. We also had friends who brought in the huge ones, that we could buy from before they turned over most of their loads to the canneries.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 3rd, 2014, 7:16 pm

You were really spoilt back then, shame you can't still get some for free or even get hold of it at all :ohno:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 3rd, 2014, 8:41 pm

We do have fresh fish here, though, at least during the summer. David didn't get much, while ice fishing the few times he went this past winter (it was just TOO cold most of the winter, for him to be out there). During the summer we have yummy fresh pike, bass, perch, and walleye quite often, and it's SO good! :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 4th, 2014, 6:48 pm

We don't have much trouble with fresh fish as just about anywhere in the UK is about 2 hours at most from the sea, but crab just doesn't seem to figure much inland, maybe not enough call for it or it's too expensive :doh:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 4th, 2014, 8:17 pm

It's the same here, since we're so far inland from the main coastal areas where crab is caught. It's mostly caught in the northeast or northwest, as crabs usually prefer colder water. I wonder if your waters are more temperate, like more of our southern areas.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 5th, 2014, 1:22 pm

Ours would be mainly quite far North East Atlantic, I would think the waters would be pretty cold. Most fishing is kind of more north, so nearer to Scotland and Norway.
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 5th, 2014, 8:22 pm

I would so very much love to come see your country and look out over those seas. I've always dreamed of coming over your way.
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 7th, 2014, 10:05 am

I do hope you get the chance one day Linda :friends:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Return to Nummy Stuff