Amish Friendship Bread

One of the "crafting" things we like to do is cooking! This is a public forum where we share our recipes. Feel free to create a new topic anytime you have something NUMMY to share!

Re: Amish Friendship Bread

Postby lindawing » May 20th, 2014, 3:27 am

You'll get some comments about strange cookies, if you use the blackberries...until people taste them. ;-)
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 20th, 2014, 1:44 pm

(I'm thinking maybe I'll add chocolate chips to my banana cookie recipe for this occasion. They all love chocolate chips and I think that will be an extra special touch they will enjoy.)

I added yeast to my sourdough starter mix yesterday. Dissolved in 1/4 cup of hot tap water. It worked. I've had to burp the bag quite a few times since and it's now bubbly!! :joy: Today I add the 1 cup of flour, sugar and milk - except with the milk, I will make that 3/4 cup, since the mix now has an extra 1/4 cup liquid in it from yesterday.

This is Day 6

Looks like I may be baking on Saturday while company is here... :doh: Should have started this a day sooner... :doh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 20th, 2014, 6:07 pm

Oh, but imagine how your company will love the aroma of the baking bread!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 20th, 2014, 7:08 pm

They will! Plus - I can just bake it all up and send each home with a full loaf of bread. Then I can start a new batch later on to pass on to the neighbors. (I'll do it right next time ... :doh: :evillaugh: )
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 20th, 2014, 7:31 pm

Practice makes perfect, right? :uhhuh:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 20th, 2014, 9:19 pm

;-)
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 21st, 2014, 9:59 am

It's so difficult to time right, wonder if you did them Friday evening? It's only a few hours less ;-)
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 21st, 2014, 1:20 pm

Thanks Lisa. :friends: I think it will be fine. I can do them in the morning and perhaps they will be ready, then by the time they arrive after lunch on Saturday. We hope to have the BBQ on Sunday for Lunch. Expecting storms on Sunday and Monday, so hopefully will get through it all nice and dry! :evillaugh:

I was so pleased after adding the yeast on Monday. I've been having to "burp" my bag and the contents are nice and bubbly. This continues after adding the flour, sugar and milk yesterday. I think all is well with my starter!! :joy: :joy:

Squish, Squash - This is day 7. :joy:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 21st, 2014, 7:50 pm

Hooray!!!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 21st, 2014, 9:40 pm

I know it will be great! Just today I made some more cake along the lines of the friendship cake, however I just added the yeast, let it sit for about an hour, made 12 apple muffins and a loaf cake. The muffins were light and fluffy and delicious and really very similar in taste ;-)
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 21st, 2014, 10:30 pm

Super!!! :hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 28th, 2014, 10:22 am

Did you get round to making those cakes?
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 28th, 2014, 1:30 pm

I was so tired by Day 10 (with prepping for company and all) - then DiL cancelled, however, our Son came on his own because she had cancelled on us at Mother's Day and my Birthday and before that - Christmas. What I did was do the 4 bags, and then the batch I was to bake I also put in bags, so I ended up with 6 bags. I sent one home with our son for his wife and 3 over to my Daughter's (1 for her, 1 for her MiL, and 1 for her SiL). The other 2 I have continued working and on Day 6 or 7 - whenever I'm supposed to add the additional flour, sugar and milk, instead, I will put them together as if it were the past Day 10 and bake them up as if they had already been divided. Hope it works. Not sure any of it turned out properly. :doh: Thinking about those bags and the recipe keeps multiplying it became overwhelming and I just wanted to throw it out - I had nightmares of all the bags of starter growing and overtaking my house. :evillaugh: So I've fought the urge to toss it and will try this method to get rid of it. :ohno: :yeah:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 28th, 2014, 5:19 pm

Oh dear, sounds pretty scary! I didn't want to carry it on forever either, I am sure it'll all work out ok, it's a learning curve whatever happens :friends:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 28th, 2014, 5:37 pm

Many, many years ago, when we lived in Houston, a friend gave me a starter, but I don't remember if I carried it on or if I had a recipe to use it up without carrying it on. It's been so long ago ... However, at that time, I was much younger and didn't mind the idea of it so much... :evillaugh:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Nummy Stuff