Amish Friendship Bread

One of the "crafting" things we like to do is cooking! This is a public forum where we share our recipes. Feel free to create a new topic anytime you have something NUMMY to share!

Re: Amish Friendship Bread

Postby lindawing » May 28th, 2014, 8:41 pm

Sorry, guys! Having a bit of a giggle over the dilemma. I hear you! I used to do all that stuff, but no longer. I just can't deal with it these days, even though the thought of the RESULT is appealing!
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » May 28th, 2014, 8:50 pm

:evillaugh:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 28th, 2014, 10:41 pm

:evillaugh: I think tomorrow will be bake day for me. Will bake and freeze the excess. :uhhuh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » May 29th, 2014, 4:07 pm

This is pretty good stuff. So what I did, I took the two extra bags I had from my original starter and put them both in a large bowl. This way it is as if it were back to Day 10 and bake day. I then followed the instructions for baking. They turned out really good!! I've tasted a cupcake - hot out of the oven since I couldn't wait. :evillaugh: Oh, I put the batter in cupcake tins and two round cake pans for baking, rather than loaf pans.

As a Cake.jpg
As a Cake.jpg (241.84 KiB) Viewed 818 times

As Cupcakes and Cake.jpg
As Cupcakes and Cake.jpg (175.35 KiB) Viewed 818 times

This is the only time I will do this as it is way too much work for an old lady like me! :evillaugh:

They are delicious, though. I plan on spreading cream cheese on a slice of the cake. I think that will be superb!!

:joy:

P.S. The house smells like Christmas!! The aroma from baking these cinnamon delicacies is wonderful!!
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » May 29th, 2014, 9:35 pm

Yum!!! :hooray:
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » June 10th, 2014, 11:57 am

wow...they look good :joy:
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » June 10th, 2014, 12:53 pm

I think they gave me a tummy ache, though. I started thinking about bacteria and all - having something that spoils sitting out like that to make a sour dough starter. I didn't share the excess, but instead threw it out. I don't think I can do that again, because of the thought of that stuff sitting out like that for 10 whole days and for those you give the extra bags to - another 10 whole days and on and on ... it can't be good. :ohno: I will never eat sour dough anything ever again, knowing it's made from spoiled mix!! :uhuh: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » June 10th, 2014, 4:51 pm

It did worry me a bit too...I made a cake just as nicely by using some yeast in my cake and using a similar recipe but not letting it sit about.
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » June 10th, 2014, 6:58 pm

That's a great idea Lisa! Way back when, it might have been an ok thing to do; but in today's day and time and all the new bacteria and that ecoli stuff ... wish I would have thought of that before hand, but day by day it started entering my thoughts and more and more I wasn't sure this was such a good idea. I've decided no sour dough at all for me now that I know it sits about and spoils in order to sour up and become sour dough. I can just imagine the bacteria growing in it. Don't think I want any yogurt either - I believe it's made from bacteria, isn't it? And to me - sorry - there is no good bacteria. :uhuh: :yeah:

Oh, dear - I just realized I have sour cream in the fridge!! Dips are made with sour cream and restaurants put it on baked potatoes!! Sour = Spoiled - made from spoiled milk!! :doh: :ohno: :yeah: :friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby lindawing » June 11th, 2014, 7:45 am

Sour cream and yogurt are made from cultures that ferment sweet milk, not spoil it. Yes...it's bacteria, but it's a certain kind that is beneficial for our bodies, not harmful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yogurt

Sourdough, because of the fermentation process allows wild yeast and beneficial bacteria to grow--not harmful bacteria or mold. It's also good for us.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough

http://science.howstuffworks.com/innova ... rdough.htm
lindawing
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » June 11th, 2014, 1:14 pm

:friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Postby ukpoppyberry » June 11th, 2014, 8:13 pm

I can see why you wouldn't want to do the sour dour thing again, as it's hard to tell if you're doing it right, but don't worry about specially packaged foods with bacteria in, good bacteria are essential for health ;-)
ukpoppyberry
Administrator
Administrator

Postby MelodyOkie » June 11th, 2014, 11:11 pm

:friends:
MelodyOkie
Administrator
Administrator

Previous

Return to Nummy Stuff